Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2006, 10:18 PM   #1  
Samantha Kay

S/C/G: 204/201/145

Talking Just beginning

Here I am, starting over. Here is my story in short. 29 year old woman, have 2 kids, 3 and 10. Never had a weight problem. Gained a lot of weight with each pregnancy but for the most part lost it. Got up to about 185 with my last pregnancy, lost it and got down to about 150. That was about a year ago when I got down to that weight, my daughter is 3 now. Then my husband left for Iraq (he is a Marine). Shortly after that it was discovered I have hypothyroid disease. I now take Synthroid. Oh, and about 2 years ago I had a horrible irregular heartbeat and had to begin taking a beta-blocker, Toprol. So I am on both of those meds. Anyway, over the course of my husband being in Iraq, he was gone almost a year, my weight quickly shot up to what I weigh now, about 200 pounds. While the thyroid and beta blockers are somewhat to blame, I know that I ate myself into comfort while dealing with the stress of his deployment. I also drank my share of beer....
So i made a decision, and talked to my dr about it today. Time for a change. I need to be active again, and eat healthy again. We have always been active and healthy food eating people, just while he was gone everything went to you-know-where.
Went to the store after the dr and bought my veggies, boca burgers, etc... Today I walked for 30 minutes and played basketball with my husband for about 20 minutes. Tomorrow I swim at the Y.
In the past I tried to lose weight, I dreaded it, hated it, uggg!! But for some reason, today, I am excited. I am looking forward to it - to all of it. The new foods, becoming more active, and knowing that I will feel and look better. I don't know why all of the sudden I am so positive this time, but I am and I am gonna roll with it!!
I look forward to posting more and reading how others are doing!!

Last edited by Kcmarinewife; 05-02-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Kcmarinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

'ello ^_^.
And welcome to 3FC. You'll find lots of support and tips here to help you out. It's very good that you are so positive about starting this new part in your life. I wish you the best of luck
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Samantha -- WELCOME! And boy is that a great attitude!!! Learn some good habits, have some fun, eat some good food, and you'll get there!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #4  
BLB

S/C/G: 192/192/132

good for you-- making the change right away. Youll get support here for sure! Just know everyone here is as frustrated as you, or was at some point. Oh and good for you for having a half way decent dr. Mine pretty much mocked me when talking about my weight, and i told him i had been excersising, he made some snide side comment. What a gerk.

Anyways glad your here!!
BLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #5  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Hi Samantha, welcome!

You've made some amazing changes already in your first day! You are setting yourself up for success that way

The women (and men) here are a great source of support! So don't be afraid to ask questions and share successes!
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #6  
Just Keep Swimming

S/C/G: 276/276/115

Good luck, I am starting over as well, its a long "hike" however its is well worth it.
Thehopefulcry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #7  
Samantha Kay

Thumbs up Wow

I am totally happy with the supportive responses I have gotten so far! I am so glad I joined this group!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Samantha! Great attitude! I think you will find these boards a tremendous help and encouragement too... it DOES help that we can all try to make it FUN together and cheer each other on!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hi Samantha! You will find lots of support here!

On a side note: My boyfriend's son is a Marine. He finished boot camp about a month ago and is now at Camp Lejeune in NC for Infantry School for six months. Next stop for him after that most likely will be Iraq.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #10  
Samantha Kay

Well, tell him Semper Fi from a Marine wife! If your boyfriend has any questions or wants to talk to me or my husband about the Iraq experience or anything, let me know! My husband was probalbly there the same time he was because they came back from Iraq and went to Lejeune to demobilize!
Thanks for the support! I am off to go swimming!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #11  

Welcome Samantha!!! YOu sound like you have all the tools you need to do this. Keep posting here, everyone is very supportive!!
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #12  
Bri

S/C/G: 243/241/155

Height: 5'7

sounds just like me....my hubs is in afghanistan I have had hypothyroidsm since I was 17, 4 kids and now Ive decided I needed to take care of myself and body Keep in touch an good luck
usmcwifeand4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #13  

I am starting over too. With a totally different attitude.

Heather, if you are reading this, your before and after pictures are AMAZING. You are a great motivator for us.

My before stats are somewhat similar to yours - and I would be thrilled to be a size 12 once again like you are...no more size 7's for me. I need a plan I can live and maintain on. No more starvation like in my younger days.
themiddleway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #14  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Welcome!!! Sounds like you have a great attitude and a supportive family, that's great

I know how it goes with the guys being gone...my fiance is in Iraq at the moment (Army Artillery officer). I've been using the deployment as a chance to focus on this whole weight loss gig.

Looking forward to getting to know you on the forum!
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Welcome - you've come to a place with lots of support, friendship, and knowledge.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote