Holding Myself Accountable

• So - I figure it's time that I hold myself accountable for some things and stick with some goals. (Notice I say some - I want to be realistic here! lol)

Mini Goal 1 - Lose 5 lbs by 05/16/10 (bringing me to 302 lbs)
    Mini Goal 2 - Be 299 lbs or under by 05/23/10 (an additional 2 lb loss from prior week)
    Mini Goal 3 - Stop "justifying" mid-afternoon coffee runs (large D'D mocha iced...yum... I will miss you old friend!)

My long term goal I'm not even going to get into here - because I'm very easily discouraged and I do a pretty good job of setting myself up for disappointment. I'm taking the 'mini-goal' approach this time and going to stick with it!

Any suggestions?
  • yes, I would say definitely just focus on mini-goals for now. No need to set an end goal - you can reevaluate as you go. Some people phrase it as 'not losing 50 pounds, but losing 5 pounds 20 times...' so that is one way that helps it to seem less daunting. And focusing on specific behaviors (like the afternoon iced mocha habit) is really good. If you can just gradually remove negative habits and implement positive ones, you will be on the right track and get into the 200s. One thing to keep in mind: even just losing 5 and 10% of your body weight has significant positive impacts for your health - you don't need to get to some definite of an ideal weight in order for your blood sugar levels, cholesterol, heart health, etc. to improve. So start on those baby steps today!
  • I have minigoals too.. but I decided not to put a time limit on them.. because sometimes the science experiment I often refer to as "my body" doesn't always give me the first predicted outcome. But all in all--MiniGoals are the way to go in my opinion
  • Quote: Mini Goal 1 - Lose 5 lbs by 05/16/10 (bringing me to 302 lbs)
    Mini Goal 2 - Be 299 lbs or under by 05/23/10 (an additional 2 lb loss from prior week)
    Mini Goal 3 - Stop "justifying" mid-afternoon coffee runs (large D'D mocha iced...yum... I will miss you old friend!)
    I think your #3 goal is perfect, but what if your body doesn't comply with #1 and #2?

I really, really don't prefer time limits on pound-loss goals. I very much like behavioral goals like #3. #3 is directly and completely within your control, but the other two goals are not directly within your control.

So my suggestion would be to focus on behavioral goals, rather than time-limited pound-loss goals. Perhaps think of two other behaviors you could change, which would lead you to your weight-loss goals.
  • I agree with WarMaiden about time goals. You mentioned that you're very easily disappointed...I'm the same way, and I've found that every time I don't make it to a time goal, I'm just bummed out instead of being happy with the progress that I did make.

That being said, mini goals are definitely a legitimate strategy One step at a time in the right direction.
  • I think the reason that I went with mini-goals is that I'm the type of person who likes instant gratification. I like to see a result right here, right now. Heh - but then again - who doesn't?

So far, I'm realizing that perhaps (most everyone) is right... my body doesn't seem to want to budge right away, which is frustrating. I've lost a whole whopping ONE POUND in three days. One. Pound. Uh huh - I'm not thrilled, but hey - at least it wasn't a gain?

Perhaps I should reassess my mini-goals and make them things that I can personally hold myself accountable for, rather than hoping and wishing that my body complies...

I'm researching a "my-pyramid" menu now. I'm thinking that if I get into the swing of things from a nutrition standpoint that perhaps everything else will follow?
  • I think that one pound in three days is awesome! You have lost 14 pounds? Again, that is awesome! I also think that setting a goal of x pound lost in y number of days is setting yourself up for disappointment and discouragement. I think the 5 pound goals are great, especially since that is what I do. Celebrate those 5 pound losses regardless if it takes a week or a month to lose them. They will add up quicker than you think.
  • time2lose - you're doing a splendid job! It's always nice to see someone who has similar body goals achieve them!

I joined in on a "ten day challenge" because it seemed like a way to kick start my motivation and hold myself accountable. What I'm finding is that it makes me sad that everyone else seems to be doing "so well" while I'm limping along with 1 lb.
  • I'm doing a 10 challenge right now and while I hope that the scale is down at the end of the 10 days, what I have challenged myself to do is stay on plan every day.

I do other challenges to reach a specific weight, but they are not time-specific, they are just to support each other getting past a particular milestone number. I am doing the Summer Onederland challenge but for me, any time this entire summer will be a huge success, so I figure that a 3 month window isn't time specific enough to be a problem!
  • Quote:
    time2lose - you're doing a splendid job! It's always nice to see someone who has similar body goals achieve them!

I joined in on a "ten day challenge" because it seemed like a way to kick start my motivation and hold myself accountable. What I'm finding is that it makes me sad that everyone else seems to be doing "so well" while I'm limping along with 1 lb.
    Thank you! I have to tell you that my loss has been slow. Much slower than many of the people here. There have been times that I felt discouraged but just kept plugging on. However, I think that I am much older than you which really effects weight loss.

About that "ten day challenge", maybe you should not participate in ten day challenges. Challenges are intended to encourage but sometimes, they are discouraging. I learned the hard way not to participate in time based challenges because they discourage me. On this forum (and life in general) pick and chose the things that will help you on this journey.

Most of all, remember YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • As cheesy as it sounds, I'm excited to have my 20 days up so that I can get a ticker... it seems like if I *see it* and can visualize my progress, that I focus on it more.

I think that perhaps I am the type of person who should not do "time based goals" or challenges.... I feel myself getting discouraged with the long term goals when I find myself saying "if I can't even do this.... then how am I gonna do that?". I will just gracefully bow out of this one I think

Thanks to you (and everyone else) for the kind words of encouragement. I'm SO READY to do this!