Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/187.6/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Warning...overly dramatic post

Ok, so this morning, I get on the scale. 206.4. Nothing to write home about since I was 206.8 on Monday. However, I am also not worried because I tend to weigh in lower on Mondays.

So, I force my way through my work out today, eat my breakfast and head off to the shower. I get out of the shower, and of course step on the scale again. What did it say this time? 95 pounds! I move the scale to multiple spots in the room, each time if says 95 pounds! I look in the mirror, nope still fat. OMG my scale is broken!

No low battery warning, no error message. Just broken. Now I am panicking. I don't have money to buy a new scale for at least a few weeks. Even coughing up money for a battery seems indulgent for my current bank account. I could weigh in at work but it wouldn't be an accurate comparison. My motivation has been waning the last few days as it is and I am afraid that, without a scale, I will quickly fall off the wagon! Help!!
BecomingMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Do you have a friend or family member who could loan you a scale until you can afford one? Or post an add on freecycle.org that you need a bath scale.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

You could see what you weigh at work and even though the comparison might not be the same, it could at least keep you on track daily until you get a new scale at home.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #4  

I would completely ignore the scale issue and focus hard on why you are so panicked or think you will slack off because you are missing a measurement tool.

Focus on the behaviors!
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I would weigh in at work for now... your new scale won't be accurate to the old one anyway, so either way you're going to have it not match up.

I'm with you though, if I can't see my weight every day I get a little anxious...
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #6  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Does your scale weigh in kilograms as well as pounds? I know our fancy one at work does, there's a little switch somewhere it is easy to hit. I ask because 206 pounds is around 95 kg so I'm thinking your scale is fine it's just talking to you in metric.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Your scale had a long, useful life, and I understand it probably became a kind of companion and confidante as you set out on your weight loss journey. But now that it's gone, you have to let it go. Take comfort in knowing it died peacefully, by your side, just after doing what it did best -- registering a slight weight loss on your part.

Now it's time to get on with the grieving process. Your scale may seem irreplaceable now. But it's a fact of life: Our electronic companions die eventually. Like goldfish, like gerbils. Their batteries just wear out. Your PC, your inkjet printer, your MP3 device, your microwave, your scale -- one day, you'll have to say goodbye to each of them.

You will have to work on developing a new relationship with a new scale. I know you're not quite ready yet, but this is essential if you are continue to succeed at the task you have undertaken. Dry your eyes. Start looking, even if you can't afford to buy quite yet. In the meantime, try dating other scales. Just meet them for a cup of coffee. No pressure. You don't have to commit. It can be very casual. You're still looking around now. But do keep yourself out there. And do keep working on making your good choices every day.

Last edited by saef; 04-30-2010 at 11:28 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Saef, your posts often make me laugh. Thank you!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
I would completely ignore the scale issue and focus hard on why you are so panicked or think you will slack off because you are missing a measurement tool.

Focus on the behaviors!
This right here. Also, rofl @ saef!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #10  
Transforming through God

"Looked in the mirror....nope, still fat!" LOL Hilarious.

Personally, I would use this as a motivational tool. If you can't afford a scale for the next couple weeks, then resolve to not weigh anywhere until then. Resolve to find other ways to remain accountable (journal, blog, post here, be more strict with your food/exercise logging etc)...

Imagine the satisfaction of not weighing for 3 weeks and seeing that big dip!

Barring that, I would weigh at work. The work scale can't be incredibly off can it? Even if it is a pound or two, it isn't so much the number but the downward trend that is important, right?

Good luck and I hope it is just a glitch like a pound/kg one a poster mentioned above.
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/156/145

Height: 5 ft. 4 inches

I would just stay focused on my eating. If it's awhile before you get a Scale.......You'll have a Great Surprise!
llmw1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Use your measurements to judge how well you are doing until you get a new scale. I've found that measurements are much more accurate way to telling success then scales anyway. And then by the time you get a new scale, you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you see.

I keep a notebook with all my measuements-everyone that I can wrap my tape measure around gets measured

neck,
top of chest
middle of chest
right below chest,
sort of half way between bottom of chest and belly button
waist at natural waiste line @ the belly button
top of hips,
middle of hips
bottom part of hips
both sides of below:
thighs,
right above knees
fleshy part of knees
top of calf
fat part of calves
ankles
bicips,
forarm
and wrists

and once a month or so I'll write down all my measurement and weight to see how I'm doing. I know, it's overkill but sometimes I just need to see some improvement someplace or I get discouraged. Most of the time I just do the basics-chest, waist, hips and thighs.

Many times if I haven't lost any weight, I'll see some changes in my measurements. And you'll be surprised where you lose the weight.

Good luck
Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 04-30-2010 at 12:11 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 191/187.6/140

I am really hoping to have accidently flipped some switch on the scale. I know in theory it is easy enough to just wait it out but those us us who are daily weighers know that it is much harder than that!

I also second or third the LOL at Saef!
BecomingMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #14  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Your scale had a long, useful life, and I understand it probably became a kind of companion and confidante as you set out on your weight loss journey. But now that it's gone, you have to let it go. Take comfort in knowing it died peacefully, by your side, just after doing what it did best -- registering a slight weight loss on your part.

Now it's time to get on with the grieving process. Your scale may seem irreplaceable now. But it's a fact of life: Our electronic companions die eventually. Like goldfish, like gerbils. Their batteries just wear out. Your PC, your inkjet printer, your MP3 device, your microwave, your scale -- one day, you'll have to say goodbye to each of them.

You will have to work on developing a new relationship with a new scale. I know you're not quite ready yet, but this is essential if you are continue to succeed at the task you have undertaken. Dry your eyes. Start looking, even if you can't afford to buy quite yet. In the meantime, try dating other scales. Just meet them for a cup of coffee. No pressure. You don't have to commit. It can be very casual. You're still looking around now. But do keep yourself out there. And do keep working on making your good choices every day.
LMAO

My scale kicked the bucket on me one day too. I didn't feel like forking over the cash for a new one - so I hid it under the bed. While I did gain a bit of a weight after that, it wasn't because my scale was broken. It was because I suck and stuffed my face.

But anyway, long story short - a few months later I dusted my scale off and it worked again. My conclusion was it got sick of me standing on it everyday.

Actually, it really broke because I got water ALL OVER it. It just needed a few months to dry out. Just wanted to tell the truth.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh my goodness, I have this image of you in my head standing in the shower with the butter (fat) just dripping down the drain! Oh if we could only just take a hot enough shower! I loved the part about looking in the mirror..."Nope, still fat." LOL!

I am very sorry for your loss. Good suggestions here. What will work for you?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote