Tubal Ligation

• Hello, I have heard of women gaining weight and losing weight after a tubal ligation, have any of you had that side effect? I am getting this surgery done in June and thats my only worry...I don't want to do all this and then gain weight from a surgery...
  • Surgery is hard on a body. Not as difficult if you are healthy heading into it but ... No matter what you have done, they will give you medications and IV fluids and your appetite will be skewed for a few days, you won't be as active for a little while, you might need a laxative a day or three later.
    But as for the physical effects of having your fallopian tubes blocked? no ...
  • It didn't affect my weight one way or the other.
  • I didn't gain either. It doesn't affect your hormone levels so I fail to see any connection to weight gain.
  • Ditto what everybody else said. Once you have recovered from the actual surgery no problems either way. Your hormones don't change the way they would after a hysterectomy or something like that.
  • Actually there is a growing belief that it does affect your body more than just keeping the eggs from reaching the uterus. http://www.tubal.org/symptoms_of_pts.htm Not all women are affected, and not affected in the same way.
    If they do the surgery laproscopically, there is very little recovery needed.
  • Had my done over 20 years ago. Didn't do a thing for me except made my cramps worse :
  • It didn't affect me one way or the other after I had mine done