Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5'3"

Remember you have the right to hire and fire a doctor, it is your choice to follow what they advise and to expect respectful and considerate care. It's called the Patient's Bill of Rights.
Keep up the fight, you have within you the power to beat this thing.
goin4health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #17  

Quote:
Jynx said it besthis ED guy may have training and experience, but only YOU are the expert on YOU (I know that sounds kind of silly, but I really do believe that. Doesn't matter if I originally got it out of a class lecture :P)
I wholeheartedly agree! I know that I need to be open-minded, and to not go into it with the attitude that I know everything or that I know better - but I'm the best expert on my experience and my feelings, and if our first interaction made me feel ick, it's for a reason, and I need to pay attention to that.

Quote:
One of the most important things someone in this field has to do is build rapport with the person their working with. And if you feel like this guy's offensive or he's fake it...it doesn't matter what good information he might have (although based on what you said about him, I'm not sure if he does have any good information) isn't going to matter, because he hasn't built up any trust.
Precisely. And I'm going to tell him that I find it difficult to trust people, especially those in a position of authority, and that I want to know what we can do TOGETHER to help ME - not what he thinks is best, while barely even knowing me.

Quote:
Don't be afraid to keep trying to find someone new. I always hated doing it (I'd rather just, you know, find someone and start) but it really will make a difference. You said this guy is the only person in your city you can go to...is there maybe someone in the next town over? I don't know the particulars about where you live or your transportation abilities, but it might be worth looking at if you can manage it.)
I am making some calls today, and we'll see how it goes. I am limited by finances and transportation, unfortunately ... sigh. Too bad things like that limit one's ability to get help, eh?
CheekyMo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I'm a librarian, so here's a book suggestion: The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. She teaches you how to use CBT techniques to handle eating issues. If you try it, and like it, there's a group of us working through it every day on 3FC in the Diets section.

Hang in there. That's a lot of disappointment added on top of other stuff, so be gentle and take care of yourself.
I keep forgetting about Beck! That's a great idea ... I think I'll go to the bookstore today and check it out!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin4health View Post
Remember you have the right to hire and fire a doctor, it is your choice to follow what they advise and to expect respectful and considerate care. It's called the Patient's Bill of Rights.
Keep up the fight, you have within you the power to beat this thing.
This is absolutely true. I'm a soon-to-be-lawyer, and I would never treat someone who is not a lawyer as though their concerns don't matter, and as though they should just do what I say because I say so and have a piece of paper that's supposed to prove my expertise. People just don't work that way.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynx View Post
What I have learned is that in a therapy situation the CLIENT must always be in control.
This is true for all medical aspects of life. I recently had an Aunt go through battling cancer, and it was amazing the things she forgot to ask, or the things she blindly accepted without questioning. But hey, it's easy to judge, but I do the same thing. I was dealing with stomach pain, and every time I went to see the Doctor, I would chicken out on asking some of my questions for fear of being silly or waisting his time, or I would just plain forget. My mom is a nurse and laughs at us, but says she sees it all the time. Society in general has a funny attitude towards Doctors.

But anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable, and isn't really helping you, needs to go. Period. I wouldn't even debate about it. I went to a gyno for a while that was very knowledgable but had other issues. I stuck with it for the knowledge factor, until ... well I'll spare the details. I got out of it.

Actually, I first saw her because of an ovarian cyst. The size of a watermelon. If PCOS is anything like what I went through, I deeply sympathize.

I do think you need more than a nutritionist. I think you need someone to talk with you through more than just telling you how to eat. I think you were on the right track when you found this guy, he was just the wrong guy. Good luck, truly.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote