Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/199/165

Height: 5'5

Question Does anyone else get sick when they work out?

So I've been working out a lot lately and I push myself but not that bad that I feel like I am working my body too hard that would make me sick. But every time I work out for 2 to 3 weeks I get sick, and fall off the bandwagon for about a week before I start working out again. I'm talking cold, fever..pretty much bad cold symptoms and I feel too awful to work out again.

Does this happen to anyone else...and also how do you work out when you are feeling sick so that you stick with your plan?
springlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #2  

Working out does not cause colds. If you are working out at a gym, the other people there are probably the culprit. I keep clorox wipes in my bag and wipe things down and wash my hands very well after working out.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I did get an unusual number of colds last fall when I started going to the gym. I think it was a combination -- the lower calories (and maybe exercise) had an effect on my immune system, AND the machines. I clean the machines now with the spray they have before and after I use them, because I notice many people don't. Also I always wash my hands carefully after I leave the gym.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

This used to happen to me any time I lost a bit of weight especially with exercise. It was like toxins were stored in my fat and they just took me out.

It doesnt seem to happen any more, maybe because I dont let it go too long between exercise sessions, even if I get sick.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 AM   #5  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Eating lots of veggies and fruit, avoiding sugar and white refined junk, and getting plenty of sleep keep me quite virus-free, despite the fact that I have three young children. Colds for me are usually no more than an annoyance that last a day or two; I even had H1N1 last fall and it was no big deal.

If your immunity feels like it's not to the level it should be, perhaps look at improving your diet and your sleep.

When I am a little sick (like this past weekend, I had a sore throat), I work out anyways. There's no reason not to work out when I'm only a little bit sick.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #6  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

I had been wondering the same thing. Good reminders about the importance of hand washingmg after using gym equipment. However, I am planning to add a vitamin supplement and some extra Vitamin C to my daily intake just in case. It can't hurt.
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #7  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

If you are finding you need a little immune system boost you should consider Cold-Fx immune boosters in the pink bottle. For the past three winters I was sick over 80% of the time. It just felt like one long cold and it was rather unpleasant. I started taking the Cold-FX this past fall and I only had one very mild cold all winter, even after my children brought home a couple viruses. I swear by them and will take them every winter from now on. The key ingredient is a high (but safe) dose of American ginseng with a couple other supplements.
Take care and get better soon
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #8  

yes! It never fails. As soon as I start regularly exercising and a higher level, I get sick. I don't work out in a gym, either. I just went to Disney world and walked a bazillion steps a day. After the 3rd day, I came down with a cold.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote