Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 445/232/210

Height: 5'8

Honestly, I notice most people are in the zone when they go to the gym. So, just put on blinders and go in and rock out while you work out.

If it makes you feel better, I used to go to a local gym at over 400 lbs. While people were shocked to see me, they'd also tell me "good for you". I know it's rather patronizing, but what can you do? No one died from the sight of my body in motion, and you won't cause any heart attacks as well.

Good luck!

By the way, if you have a Planet Fitness near you, I highly recommend their facilities. They advertise themselves as a "no judgement zone" and I can tell you, I really got that vibe from the place. I saw people of varying sizes and ages working out as well. They're quite cheap too!
dumplingtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Honestly, I wear very little at the gym. I do that because it motivates me to stick to healthy eating. When I cover up too much I don't have as much incentive to make sure I'm paying attention to both exercise and diet. But that said, most people wear t-shirts and shorts or sweats/capris. Most people are pretty covered.

As for being judged at the gym, I have been working out for 20 years, and in all that time I couldn't even tell you who has been at the gym at the same time that I have. I pay no attention to anyone else. I think that's pretty much true across the board.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #18  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I just wanted to add, I wear shorts and t-shirt when I do cardio, but when I'm lifting, I wear longer (at least capri) pants. I got ring worm a few years ago. Blech! That was enough for me. If more than just my hands, feet or rear touch the equipment, I'm in longer pants.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been comfortable in most gyms even at my highest weight. The first few times in a new gym are awkward, as you get to know the social climate. Don't sign on to a membership without trying the place out first (they may have free day passes or a month's trial membership - but don't sign on to a year or more's contract before you've tested out the gym).

Gyms are a bit like bars, each has it's own personality and unique social climate. In some gyms, people are friendly and chatty, and in others everyone avoids unnecessary eye contact and there's little conversation unless people are exercising with a buddy they came with. Most gyms have people of every size. On any given day you might not see someone my size, but eventually you probably will - but there are exceptions. Especially in college towns and larger cities there are gyms for every social class and subculture. Most are fairly well mixed, but there are a few in which it's hard not to feel out-of-place. For example I'm glad I used the trial memberships when I worked at a company that offered discounts at two gyms. One of them was a Gold's gym and I felt really out of place. Mostly everyone was super-fit in expensive work-out gear and on display for everyone to see. Mirrors were everywhere too, so no matter where you were, you could see almost everyone in the gym. I mostly like to swim, and the pool was in the center of the gym with glass walls. I felt like I was being watched (whether or not I was, I don't know). It made me uncomfortable to say the least.

The second gym had a more relaxed mind-your-own-business atmosphere and the crowd was for the most part families and older people. There weren't a lot of other young singles at the gym (I was more in the age-bracket of the Gold's gym), but I felt more comfortable with the older crowd anyway (I wasn't at the gym to pick up anyone, so I liked that everyone kept to themselves). I met my husband (not through the gym, through a personal add in the local newspaper) and we joined together. We did meet a few people our age in the ginormous hot tub - it was the only place in the gym that people might have a little conversation (but if you didn't want to talk, no one seemed to care or notice, either).

There really is a gym for every personality, age, social group and body type.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #20  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

I work out at the YMCA and I remember going in there and being terrified at what people are going to think. It was easy to get over that once I put on my headphones and hopped on an elliptical. I am also a heavy sweater, but I take pride in it and I work toward a calorie goal and a sweat mark goal (I know it sounds silly) everytime I am there. Once I put on my headphones, I am in my world. I work out to the beat of the music and I have Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels' voices in my head yelling at me telling me to work harder.

I love the YMCA because I see literally every fitness type come walking in, from the ones who can barely walk because they are so heavy to the ones who look like supermodels. The one thing that I love is that no one bats an eye at any fitness level. There is a common mindset there, we are all there to get healthier. To me, it doesn't matter where your starting point is, just as long as you've deemed it a starting point and you work toward your healthier lifestyle at your own pace. I have never felt judged once while working out.

I can't wait to hear how your first day went! Going to the gym is great.
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

As for Gold's Gym, it is as diverse as any other. I go to about six of them, and they all have their own personalities. One is full of the young and fit, one is family oriented, one has a mix of everyone.... Some I like more than others, but I find that at any one of them I can work out in peace, just like everyone else. And one of them has a very good women's center where you can go to get away from it all. The weights don't go up high enough for me, but I can bring weights in from the main floor. I spend a lot of time in the women's center.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 04-26-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #22  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I often tell myself "I am not here to win a beauty contest, I am here to work hard and get in shape" or "I am not here to impress other people, I am here for myself"
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #23  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

I started going with a friend, but that didn't really work for me because she took longer than I did. So I just decided to go by myself. Nobody is staring at you, and if anyone does, it's not cos they're thinking you're "chubby and out of shape" it's only because they're bored. I people watch at the gym, it's fun. I'm never judging anyone, nobody there is. Remember, exercise creates endorphins, and endorphins make you happy, and happy people don't judge others.

And if it makes you feel any better, I started going to the gym when I weighed 214 pounds. I didn't have a car so I'd ride the 2.5 miles there on my broken bike (it only worked in first gear and clicked a lot) from when I was 10. I'll fully admit I looked like an idiot, but I didn't care because I needed to do it lol.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 270/230/165

Height: 5'9"

I work out at the YMCA, and I love it. I feel like it's more family-oriented, so you get a lot less of the gym bunny types. Usually I wear yoga pants and a t-shirt, and my routine involves 15-20 minutes of cardio, then stretching, then 45 minutes of weights, and then another 15-20 of cardio.

I sweat like a pig, my face gets red, and I make a right a** out of myself doing lunges with a medicine ball right down the center aisle of the weight room. I know I look ridiculous, and I've just stopped caring! I get into my zone, and when I leave with my muscles burning and my GoWear Fit telling me I burned 450 calories, I could care less about if anybody gave me a funny look, haha.

I would not have said any of this three months ago, btw. It took me a long time to get into the routine, but now I feel like my day isn't complete if I don't have some sort of a workout.
jennyplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #25  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixsin View Post
I work out at the YMCA and I remember going in there and being terrified at what people are going to think. It was easy to get over that once I put on my headphones and hopped on an elliptical. I am also a heavy sweater, but I take pride in it and I work toward a calorie goal and a sweat mark goal (I know it sounds silly) everytime I am there. Once I put on my headphones, I am in my world. I work out to the beat of the music and I have Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels' voices in my head yelling at me telling me to work harder.
It's silly and wrong since I'm not naturally a big sweater myself, but I admire people who sweat a lot. I look on them with admiration.

Last edited by Eliana; 04-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #26  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I was intimidated by the gym, though if anyone asked why I didn't join one, I said I was concerned about the expense. (I did care a little about the expense, yes, but really, I was afraid of being scrutinized.) I lived in a hilly area with big broad sidewalks everywhere & so I told myself I could walk off the weight, all on my own. Which was true. But I did not escape scrutiny that way. People passed me on the street sometimes in the early mornings, people in cars looked, and later, I realized the neighbors must have seen me from behind their windows because they'd mention it in casual conversation: "I've seen you out there every morning, in all kinds of weather."

Yes, that turned out to be the issue: All kinds of weather. Because I really enjoyed my walks (which turned into running& walking) & hated when we'd have a string of rainy days. And winter was coming. But I dropped enough pounds by then that I felt much better about going to the gym.

And then, once I got to the gym, I slapped my forehead (metaphorically), thinking, "Jeez, why didn't I do this sooner?" Because there were people of all different sizes, ages & shapes, some heavy as me at my heaviest, some much older & there to keep up with their physical therapy. Really, it reflected my neighborhood. I wished I'd gotten over my fears sooner, as I wouldn't have been sweating so hard on the "heat advisory" days in the summer or bundling up against frostbitten ears & fingertips or braving getting struck by lightning or worrying about passing cars clipping me & etc. because I just HAD to get my walk in.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #27  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Thank you to everyone who responded!! Well, I WAS brave and I went, and I feel great! I went on the treadmill for 54 minutes -- 3.5 miles -- my headphones stayed on, nobody stared at me, I didn't trip over anything, and I even worked up the courage to sprint at 6 MPH for a bit! I feel so good!

I'm still a little intimidated -- I went over and looked at the free weights for a bit, but the only other people over there were muscley guys. Now, I have experience lifting heavy weights, but it might take a while for me to work up the courage to go over there and really do it seriously!

The staff was really friendly and helpful, and it turns out I get a discount gym membership because of my health insurance plan. So I signed up for a gym membership straight off. Part of me is groaning about the $23 a month I'll be spending, but come on -- $23 a month? I used to spend that much every WEEK on fast food!!

ETA: saef -- I so know where you're coming from. I live in Minnesota, and our winter is a solid 6 months long, ice and snow and all. Exercising outside is practically impossible... so this will be really, really good for me.

Last edited by Skyra; 04-26-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

Glad to hear it worked out! Yay!
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #29  
Calorie counter

Skyra, I'm so happy you did this for yourself! That's so awesome that you were able to conquer that fear! It only gets easier as you become more familiar with it.

I was scared of the free weights too, despite the fact that I very much know what to do with them having grown up with free weights in our basement! (I have an older brother) I just picked up the dumb bells one day and went to town and have slowly added things. Now I'm a familiar face over there and the men over there are familiar faces too and I feel like I fit in just fine. I even asked one of the men a question this morning.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #30  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Congrats Skyra, you made a good decision.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote