Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #1  
155LBS LOST

S/C/G: 300/145/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Still confused

I count calories. I usually keep my calorie intake between 1200-1500 a day, stays closer to 1200 than the 1500. I use fitday.com to log my food and the food I eat are generally healthy meals.

I have been trying to figure out how much carbs, fats, sodium I'm suppose to be having a day...it seems everywhere I look there are different numbers and the more I look the more confused I get.

Looking at my logs I noticed grams of fat staying between 40-60, and grams of carbs staying between 90-110? But I really have no idea if this is good or bad or what...

A typical day for me is:

breakfast: Cereal w/banana, low fat milk or Egg Omlet - whites only with turkey
Snack: half serving of almond, all natural unsalted (learned to love them haha)
Lunch: Half turkey sandwhich w/cheddar cheese no mayo/mustard and half serving of almonds
Snack: Either almonds or a flaxseed shake
Dinner: Depends on what dad makes for dinner, he usually makes a hamburger helper w/bell peppers and other veggies added and I'll have a small bowl of that. If He doesn't make dinner I might make another half turkey sandwich/egg omlet - whites only with a slice of turkey or sometimes i'll make a grilled cheese...

I just recently started drinking 64oz of water...I know i wasn't drinking enough water before.

Last edited by JennieLovesKisses; 04-21-2010 at 03:53 PM.
JennieLovesKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

You've done really well loosing weight so far, so its difficult for me to offer a lot of advice, but here goes:

Unless you have a heart problem, you don't really have to worry about the salt too much, it causes bloat but not much else. I think your fat and carbs numbers are fine. I usually try for over 100g protein, under 125g carbs, and fats at least 25g. I think a number you ought to check as well is fiber - minimum recommended 25g. (If you're eating less, up your number slowly).

You really don't eat hardly any vegetables, and it's hard for me to believe that your menu actually adds up to 1200 calories. Aren't you hungry?

Are your sandwiches made on a plain loaf of sandwich bread or on a special type of bread?

I would suggest trying lots of different kinds of vegetables and fruits, maybe you don't like them, but if you're going to do without, then I would be sure and take a multivitamin daily to supplement all the nutrients.

Try salads, bell pepper strips and carrot sticks, broccoli cauliflower or make some stir-frys. You can get a lot of volume of food without adding many calories at all.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

WOW!! You have already lost nearly 100 lbs, so you must be doing something right!!! But I agree with sprklemajik - you don't have very many veggies. (more veggies = more fiber, which is great for weight loss)

breakfast: Cereal w/banana, low fat milk or Egg Omlet - whites only with turkey (you could add veggies to your omlet?)

Snack: half serving of almond, all natural unsalted (learned to love them haha) (This sounds great - you may want to add half an apple, or half a banana, or some carrot sticks. I have been told it is very important to have a little bit of carbs and a litte bit of protein with every meal/snack. This is protein, but no carb. A veggie or fruit would add the carb.)

Lunch: Half turkey sandwhich w/cheddar cheese no mayo/mustard and half serving of almonds (Add some veggies to your sammich? Baby spinach tastes great on sammiches - I eat it instead of lettuce)
Snack: Either almonds or a flaxseed shake (add the other half of an apple or banana I suggested for morning snack?)

Dinner: Depends on what dad makes for dinner, he usually makes a hamburger helper w/bell peppers and other veggies added and I'll have a small bowl of that. (The added veggies is great!!)
If He doesn't make dinner I might make another half turkey sandwich/egg omlet (veggie?) - whites only with a slice of turkey or sometimes i'll make a grilled cheese... Nothing wrong with grilled cheese - but it tastes great with tomato soup (veggie!)

I really think more veggies would help. Great for fiber, great for vitamins, and they don't add many calories. I have been buying the Green Giant boxes of frozen veggies where you just pull the bag out of the box and toss it in the microwave. I add a box to my Healthy Choice Cafe Steamer for lunch each day. When I can't be bothered to "cook", my hubby grills some chicken and I toss a baggie of veggie in the microwave. They have really been a lifesaver for me. (I just need to be better on the weekends!!)
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #4  
155LBS LOST

About a year ago I had my gallbladder removed and since then have had complications with foods...any foods to be honest and for a while I refused to eat because I would feel so sick afterwards and either throw up or have to go to the bathroom (tmi but thats how it is lol) and to this day am wary of what I'm eating and the amount.

Your right, I noticed I don't get much veggies in my diet and yesterday I actually picked up some corn to get that in this week. I have bell peppers almost every other day or so (LOVE). I love veggies I really don't know why I don't eat them more often *shame on me* but I'm working on that. I also have a spinach salad every once in a while. I'm on a ridiculously low budget right now so its hard to buy food at all sometimes.

I'm not too bad with fruit, I try to get in fruit in the mornings. Oh, for breakfast I might have some oatmeal, forgot to add that.

I usually buy whole grain wheat bread (100calories a slice)

A big thing with me is flaxseed shakes, I usually drink those to up my calorie count because I do have a problem with eating. As far as being hungry, when I'm hungry I eat and I eat till I'm satisfied and not FULL.

I want to get a good multivitamin, but I have no clue what would be best for me. I don't have insurance so I can't go to a doctor and ask. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #5  
155LBS LOST

Totally going to the store and buying spinach now lmao, ill want to add it to everything. I tried canned spinach in my omlet and it didn't work out too well O.o doesn't taste the same. Maybe I can add carrots too.

Yeah I'm not much or a cooker so I try to make stuff easy and fast.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Although I can't answer your original question, I can make a suggestion on the vitamin. I take One-A-Day Women's and I like it just fine. I wouldn't think you need to consult your doctor about which vitamin to take unless you're pregnant. I would recommend you start on a multi-vitamin soon though, we women need our calcium and vitamin D!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I don't know what area you live in or what it's like there, but for me, the best solution to getting good veggies on a budget has been local produce stands. We have a couple year-round, family-operated produce stands in town that are DIRT cheap compared to grocery store produce prices.

The downside is that they have a limited selection - no fancy lettuces (I don't care for iceberg), no bagged baby spinach, etc... and they generally aren't perfectly polished, waxed fruits and veggies and I have to do a little sorting through to make sure they aren't damaged. But I can go get 3 full bags of seasonal, delicious fruits and veggies for $8-12 dollars, which is usually enough for the week.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #8  
155LBS LOST

stargzr - Thank you, I will try that One-A-Day Women's.

Expunge - I live in Washington state, moved from cali about a year ago, and I never see produce stands Weather here is kinda iffy so I don't blame them. Hehe
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #9  

doesn't really answer your question but my take is...

you're over micromanaging, why waste the mental energy. Other things you can worry about.

Keep doing what you are focus on calories, eating healthy foods overall, minimizing crappy processed foods, and don't completely eliminate carbs, fats, or protein.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #10  
155LBS LOST

Well a big reason I wanted to figure out the carb and fat intake section of this was because of my issues with food, especially because of my gallbladder or lack there of that is.

I'm deff not trying to eliminate fats and carbs but I want to know the average a person should have a day. Its just important to me to know my limits.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

No produce stands in washington?! Seriously?? Where are you at, girl? I'm from WA and there's produce everywhere!
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #12  
155LBS LOST

I'm in north bend (right before the pass). All I have that's close is safeway and their stuff seems so expensive! I also don't get out much so that doesn't help, I JUST recently got my car situation all settled and can now drive places but of course gas went up too.

Last edited by JennieLovesKisses; 04-21-2010 at 08:01 PM.