Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: Do I splurge for my birthday on Texas de Brazil or new running shoes?
Texas de Brazil: You gotta dine out for your birthday! 5 20.83%
New Running Shoes: This is the year for you to be a runner! 19 79.17%
Why do I care what you do with your 70 dollars? Good grief, go ask the 8-ball! 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #1  

Arrow Texas de Brazil vs. New Running Shoes

Please vote. I know that everyone here will vote for new running shoes which will push me to purchase new ones and take a pic to hold me accountable. It's my birthday next week and originally I wanted to try Texas de Brazil for dinner since I received a buy one get one free coupon, but, it's still 50 dollars a person.

After tip, tax, drinks (ice tea/soda), we're talking over 70 dollars.

In case you don't live near a Texas de Brazil, which I'm sure most of you don't, it's 50 dollars, all you can eat salad/appetizer bar and Brazilian grilled meats. I've heard that they are overly salted and probably not anywhere near healthy. I've also heard it's a fantastic experience.

But this week I started c25k and my shoes are a disgrace. I may as well be running barefoot. So I'd like to splurge and get some decent shoes (I usually just get junk at Walmart or Target for 20ish dollars).

Anyway, that's my dilemma. Thank you for your input. Please vote for shoes.

Last edited by redsox33; 04-15-2010 at 10:53 AM.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

You will be able to enjoy those running shoes for monthes to come...the birthday gift that keeps on giving! I love buying new running shoes!
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, this does seem kind of a no-brainer to me! What do you need most right now in your journey?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox33 View Post
But this week I started c25k and my shoes are a disgrace. I may as well be running barefoot. So I'd like to splurge and get some decent shoes (I usually just get junk at Walmart or Target for 20ish dollars).
Then you NEED new shoes! I have purchased $20 sneaks at Target... Trust me - you need to get a better pair!

Just think - think how good you will feel when you opt for the sneaks instead of a meal out. Think about that feeling of triumph when you can brag about your new shoes instead of blowing 70 bucks on a meal for which you will have nothing to show for afterwords. THAT will be a good feeling!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #5  
No description available.

Ahhh....the age old question of what one wants in the moment vs what one wants the most.

All-you-can-eat anything is not a grand idea for me. Say you eat all the Brazilian roasted meats you want, your body will extract the nutrients to cover your basal metabolic needs, and then the rest will be stored as fat or, um, released into the toilet. Bye-bye $70....sayonara.....

Or, you could buy a lovely pair of running shoes and open a door to health, sleekness, a powerful rocking body, a great way to deal with stress, a way to have time to yourself to just think, time to commune with nature, regular release of endorphins, joining a "club" of runners whereever you are, running while on vacation (my coolest times in France involved running around villages and >really< seeing things), great legs, and did I mention the endorphins??

See ya later, 'gator! I'm going for a run, baby!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Truthfully, I never eat out, so the choice would be easy for me, SHOES!!!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Sorry, but I can't turn a brazilian food down...
It is an amazing experience!!!! and as long as you don't do it often...
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

We're planning to go to Texas de Brazil for our anniversary in July...I plan to eat in moderation there, as well. All-you-can-eat places are lost on me, but if this one has a bunch of salad I can deal with it.

I'm a more food-centered person, as far as rewards go. To me, you can buy shoes any old day...I prefer an evening out for a special occasion!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #9  

sorry gotta vote for Texas de Brazil, that's awesome stuff...
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #10  

Oh no!!!!! So many votes for Texas de Brazil! So it's really that amazing?

The shoes are still winning though.

Maybe I should have asked the 8-ball
Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #11  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I voted for the running shoes. Running in beat up shoes increases your chance of injury & I think you should spare yourself the orthopedist bills. Good luck on the C25K!
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #12  

I voted for the shoes. They last longer! Happy Birthday and enjoy whicever you go with.
FeliciaHingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #13  

I want to thank everyone who took the time to vote and to post. Some of you inspired me greatly to decide to go ahead and buy the new shoes. Some of you really love your Texas de Brazil!

I came up with a compromise in my eyes... I'm purchasing new shoes this weekend. The better half's birthday is in June, so we signed him up for the club. He'll receive the buy one get one deal in June and we will have until the beginning of July to use it.

We'll dine out then to celebrate his birthday and our weight loss (he's losing lots of weight!!). So everybody who voted should be happy.... everyone that is, except for the unloved and unpopular 8-ball.

Thanks again!

Last edited by redsox33; 04-16-2010 at 05:10 PM.