Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
OMG. I hear ya. We went out to Wood 'n' Tap one day for lunch at work. I knew it was coming up, so I asked the trainer at the gym what she thought would be a good option. (you can't find any nutritional info online for this resturant) She sugested the Turkey burger (no sauce, no cheese) and veggies instead of fries (I hate fries anyways, so I usually get veggies or a salad instead)

Now... Turkey burger tend to be a little bit drier than beef burger because of their lower fat content. WELL! Not this one. I think it was the juiciest/greasiest burger I have EVER eaten. (it was quite tasty!)

And the broccoli... I like butter as much as the next guy, but my 'steamed' broccoli was DROWNING in butter. It was really kinda gross.
I had something similar happen to me at Ruby Tuesday's! I ordered a Buffalo Burger since buffalo is supposed to be leaner meat than beef. I ordered it without mayo, bacon, and cheese. When I got the burger it was swimming in grease. I swear they dipped it butter before serving it! I sent back the butter toasted bun and got fresh vegetables from the salad bar for my burger since the others were coated with fat goo.

Thanks for the suggestions mkendrick, ars, and petite. I've never thought about McDonald's salads being good. I'll have to check out the Southwest one! I do really like Panera, but I must admit that some of the things I've gotten there in the past are not so good for me. I'll just have to study their nutrition info more carefully and steer clear of the pastries! We have a Noodles & Company here as well and the food is good. (Unfortunately we don't have a Cheesecake Factory around here, but that is a good thing for me. I love cheesecake.)

I think I should start focusing what I CAN have instead of what I can't. I've just really like trying out new restaurants and different menu items at restaurants. When I got out to eat I want the food to be something special that is generally better or more interesting than what I would make at home. That used to mean eating high calorie food that I wouldn't make at home or buy to bring home (High fat, deep fried, high sugar). Now I would just love to have a place to go that does inventive things with lower calories foods to inspire me. I want to go to a restaurant and have the feeling of being pampered by nutritious, low calorie, tasty, guilt-free food.

I worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years. I really see the need in the industry for a place that serves delicious, nutrious foods as the MAJORITY of their menu. I really wish I had the money to start up a great restaurant in my area that could branch off into chains.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

I hear you all.

I'm at the point where if I don't get what I order, I send it back. Period. If I order plain veggies and get them soaked in butter/oil, I'll have the waitress send it back to the kitchen.

I'm at the point where my health and preferences take priority over any lazy chef or waitress. And I am convinced that sometimes they just don't hear or don't care, since my specifications are very clear and simple (and emphatic). I'm paying money for the meal and tipping. This is one area in my life where I gotta come first (working on the others!!!)....
spirit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #18  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

I agree with you guys on that. I get sooo annoyed when I go to a sit down restraunt and instead of looking for what would be the most satisfying I look for the least damaging meal on the menu... ugh.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #19  
one single step at a time

S/C/G: 305/197/150

Height: 5'5

i had to cut fastfood all together because thats what got me sooo fat in the first place.i ate it about 2 to 3 times a day.once i saw the scale at 282 i wanted to die i had gained over 100 pounds in 3 years.now since i had my breaking point i want to learn how to cook healthy and inexpensive since im unemployed any one have any easy cheap quick recipes for me?
danitzastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #20  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I second this entire post, and like mandalinn, I am always happier with what I cook. With the exception of a couple of places, no matter what I order I think I could have done it better, cheaper and probably faster at home. Even when I want to "splurge", the calories are so over the top that a little splurge erodes a week of work.

Around here, I do well at Panera, Noodles and Co and Busboys and Poets, which is a local place downtown.

Current challenge: indian food that doesn't break the caloric bank but still tastes good.

renwomin - I would faithfully frequent such a restaurant. I was thinking something similar just the other day. I'd just love a calorie count on the menu.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

For indian food, I usually order chana masala (chickpeas) or baingan bharta (curried eggplant) and a whole wheat roti (no butter). I skip the rice. Dal is also a good choice (like a lentil stew). If the restaurant has a tandoor oven, tandoori meats can be okay, depends on how much yogurt they use to marinate, you can always ask!

I would avoid anything that mentions korma (usually made with cream), makhani (butter), pakoras (fried), samosas (fried) or paneer (cheese)! I also avoid the naan, because I love it so, I have a hard time stopping at a reasonable bit.

Last edited by Glory87; 05-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #22  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I would much rather cook at home as well. However, my University requires students to have at least a $250 meal plan if they are taking full time classes. So I ate a chargrilled chicken sandwich from chick-fil-a sometimes. It was healthy and very tasty. The sandwich would fill me up. I think it's 430 calories and 37 carbs. It's probably one of the better healthy fast food options I have tasted.

EDIT: actually it's 300 calories and 38 carbs. Sodium is a little high, but protein is 29 so that's a good source. That's a healthy option for those around a chick-fil-a if you are in a hurry.

Last edited by Asherdoodles87; 05-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #23  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I don't even waste my $ anymore on going out. I like to know where my food comes from and whats in it and I never know what has occured in the process of getting my food to my table when I'm at a restaurant or fast food place. I haven't eaten fast food since Aug. 2009 and have only eaten at a handful of restaurants while at the beach. This works for me and I have felt much better since doing it, and saved $$.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #24  

Height: 5' 7.5"

Fast food is so hard. I usually try to stick with Subway. Another go-to for me is a fast food Mexican Chipotle-like place. Their veggie tacos are about 130 calories each (that's with cheese; I usually order without). Not too bad, and they are SO good.
Ash1ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #25  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never liked fast food so never had a problem with avoiding it or trying to choose 'healthier' options there.

I do go out to eat once a week, sometimes more but rarely.

Chipotle is my absolute favorite diet friendly place to go. I can choose what exactly to put in my bowl and it is just fun. Of course I could do the same at home but it is more of a 'hey let's do lunch out during the work week' type of thing.

We also go out to eat to a restaurant during the weekend, usually when we are out running errands. I know this ahead of time and plan it. We often go to a Chinese place and I have a couple rules:
1) No fried stuff
2) Order steamed options over not. We don't always order a steamed dish but sometimes we do.
3) Eat light the rest of the day.
4) Even though we order 3 dishes, no seconds. Place food on my plate and eat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

well, fast food put weight on me in a hurry--I remember why i avoid it now.

I did eat at IHOP today. I had a spinach and mushroom omelete. It was huge. but delicious and the spinach was very green! which is how i like it.

i hate it that restaurants make you pay the SAME for food if you ask for less. Remove the bun, and add an extra lettuce and tomato--and they charge you extra for the lettuce and tomato!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendiet View Post
I did eat at IHOP today. I had a spinach and mushroom omelete. It was huge. but delicious and the spinach was very green! which is how i like it.
I hate to be known is the IHOP basher but according to 1 site, that omelet was 1620 calories with NaCl of 2860 gm this is from an app on my iTouch. Another site says 1210 hungry girl site or a third Daily Plate of 679. I think the higher counts are probably more accurate considering that pancake batter that is used.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote