Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Default Trainers and Dietitians

OK tirade first. I AM ANGRYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!! I'm tired of losing and gaining and losing and gaining on and on and on. See that 195 on my ticker yeah well that weight was at last 10 years ago and really I haven't lost much cuz I keep gaining back. P.S the 170 on the ticker now is no longer my weight. I just refuse to get on the scale and up the number I am tired of FINALLY getting a date only to be sitting waiting and waiting and waiting cuz the jerk stood me up. I swear to god I have been stood up more than I have had dates. I AM TIRED OF THIS LIFE!!!!!!!
So because I am a failure on my own I have been thinking about hiring a trainer at the gym I have a membership to but haven't been going to. And to work with a local grocery store who has a liscensed dietitian. For anybody who has used either of these services did you think they were really worth all the money? Do trainers have any knowledge of nutrition? Do I really need both? How often did you work with each? And if you can include any other info that you feel might help me on making a decision on what to do please let me know.
As I have already stated this whole process is just p***ing me off!!! I can either sit here and be angry aka be the problem or I can actually do something about it aka be the solution. I am ready to be the solution not the problem.
thanks everybody for making it through the whole post and for any info you provide.

Last edited by DisgruntledOne; 04-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

OOH girl you mad!

Okay first, calm down and breathe.

I have had a trainer and nutritionist- my first was terrible- the second was really great! It helps to do a food journal (and be honest) for a couple of days before seeing them.

As for trainers I had to fire my first one so be careful and know your limits! The first guy worked me so hard I ended up having delayed onset muscle soreness and couldn't move my legs for like a week! After he was fired my second trainer was great- but towards the end she started training me with other clients and I told her I paid for sessions for one on one time- not me and 2 other people AND her. She eventually moved and I continued with my last trainer (I was on a one year contract) who taught me a lot- I'm still friends with him
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have been exposed to trainers and to nutritionists. I supposed it depends - trainers work on exercise, but a good trainer also knows about nutrition (you can't see good results without the proper fuel). A nutritionist/dietitian would work on your nutritional health. I have been told weight loss is 70% what you eat, 20% strength training and 10% cardio.

You might want to make an appointment with one of each and see what you prefer and go from there?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #4  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

I have used trainers before but not a dietician. A lot of trainers have a good knowledge of nutrition. Mostly they are going to want you to keep a food journal which you may already do - a very handy tool I must say. Of the trainers I have had I really only related to one very well. He convinced me to start running and do a 5k race which I would NEVER HAVE DONE in a million years. We just hit it off nicely. He still gives me advice even though I don't train with him any more but he is just an exceptionally nice person! If you hire a trainer just make sure he/she does not take a cookie cutter approach to your sessions, that they discuss with you your goals - short term and long term, and that they are easy to communicate with. Best of luck! I generally find that once I get started improving my eating and exercising habits I feel so much better it isn't that hard - it is getting over the hump to get started!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I liked my dietitians -- I learned a lot about exchanges and it still serves me today.

It was amixed bag with trainers -- the one I liked move, the second one was eh, then my kid was not enjoying gym day care, etc. I switched to home exercise this time.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You know, I'm really impressed that you haven't gained all the weight back up to 194 again. That, to me, is to be commended. I've never been able to do that...yet.

I have a PT now through LA Fitness. I only recently started but I love him. He'd probably give me diet advice if I asked, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing. He's knowledgeable about my needs though, for instance, my bad shoulder. He's helping find things that strengthen it without injuring it. He's great at showing me how to use free weights with correct form. Form is crucial. He pushes me but I am rarely sore beyond being able to move the next day and that's a good thing!

I have no experience with a nutritionist, but I've done a lot of research on my own. I have learned a lot from the South Beach diet book (even if you don't want to be on the plan) and...LOL...I'm embarrassed to say...from The Dr. Oz Show! LOL!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote