Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #31  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I don't have the info at my fingertips ... I think a coworker may have been reading an anticancer diet book ... but there's something about making sure your omega 3's and omega 6's are balanced.

Does anyone have a link they could post?
Yep. We have an overabundance of omega 6 (which comes from processed vegetable oils like soy(which seems to be in everything!), corn, safflower). It seems to lead to inflammation, which contributes to everything from anorexia to tuberculosis. One list I found:

* anorexia nervosa
* ADHD
* osteoporosis
* diabetes
* eye disease
* certain skin conditions
* allergies
* rheumatoid arthritis
* tuberculosis
* cancer

Here's a quick overview from Dr. Weil (with a plug for his diet). And here's a longer one that gets into more detail.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #32  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Easiest way ever to have eggs for breakfast: Break two eggs into a microwave-safe mug. Add a little salt and pepper. Use a fork to scramble them up. Microwave on high for one minute.

Voila, instant hot scrambled eggs. You can also do these the night before and put them in a plastic container to take to work and reheat if you are pressed for time in the morning.

This morning I had 3 microwaved scrambled eggs, plus a chocolate milk made from 12 oz nonfat milk, 1 oz cocoa, 2 packets Splenda blended up. That was my post-workout breakfast; before workout I had 4 oz nonfat yogurt, 4 oz nonfat cottage cheese, and 4 oz blueberries mixed up with some ground ginger. Fish oil supplement on the side. So this morning I have already had over 50 grams of protein! And I will definitely be full until lunchtime.
Except they are so much stinkier than scrambling them in the pan! Why is that?
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #33  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
Except they are so much stinkier than scrambling them in the pan! Why is that?
I think it's just that when you cook them in the microwave, the scent is trapped in the oven, and when you open the door you get a big whiff of it. When you cook it in a pan, the scent escapes into a wider area of air and over a slower period of time.

I find the same thing when I microwave "stinky" vegetables, like cauliflower, broccoli, and cabbage. The sulfurates in cruciferous vegetables become REALLY prominent when they are nuked, because you open the oven door and get a face-full of sulfur-laden steam.

I much prefer stir-frying them. Yum!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #34  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
The yolk is where the nutrients are though- so you are denying yourself some great nutrition there.

My cholesterol was 230 when I started this journey- and today I'm at 187 for cholesterol, I've eaten eggs for breakfast (whole eggs) for at least 6 months and my doctor said it's fine.

If you are planning on eating multiple eggs one thing you could try is 1 whole egg and then add an additional egg white That way you get the best of both worlds.

Here's one link:

http://stronglifts.com/cholesterol-s...ny-eggs-daily/
Thank you for the link. A lot of great info! I will start eating some of the yolks then. Didn't realize they were good for me too.
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Here's a comprehensive cut and paste for you.

Research scientists recommend ratios varying from 5:1 to 10:1 omega-6 to omega-3. Some experts suggest a ratio of between 1:1 and 4:1 as being optimal. What are we getting? The current ratio in our diet is estimated to be 14:1 to 20:1.

Omega-3 fatty acids are a class of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids with the double bond in the third carbon position from the methyl terminal (hence the use of "3" in their description). Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids include salmon, halibut, sardines, albacore, trout, herring, walnut, flaxseed oil, and canola oil. Other foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids include shrimp, clams, light chunk tuna, catfish, cod, and spinach

Omega-6 fatty acids are a class of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids with the initial double bond in the sixth carbon position from the methyl group (hence the "6"). Examples of foods rich in omega-6 fatty acids include corn, safflower, sunflower, soybean, and cottonseed oil.

The University of Maryland estimates that Americans get 10 times the amount of linoleic acid that we need by consuming a diet rich in oils like soybean, corn, sunflower, safflower and cottonseed. Many processed and prepared food products have these oils

I copied and pasted that from three different sites.

Now here's me talking ... the omega 3 is added to eggs by feeding the chicken flax. It's very easy to get omega 3's in our diet. However, the omega 6's that are worked into our processed foods overpower our percentages.

Alas ... again ... it's simply a matter of tweaking our diets just a bit. Lighten up on the omega 6 foods and eat more omega 3 foods.

Resources ...optimal-heart-healthy.com
medicinenet.com
ehow.com
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #36  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I microwave my eggs as well. I crack one egg in a (Corelle) cereal bowl and top it with lots of pepper, a dash of salt and some dehydrated onions. It always cooks perfectly in exactly 43 seconds on high power. Any longer, and the edges become slightly chewy. You just have to experiment with the power of your microwave to find the best cook time It makes one egg patty that is the perfect size for a quick toasted egg sandwich.

Thanks for the tip Meowmix. I am going to boil a dozen eggs and put them in the fridge for my husband and I to have on hand It's strange how we never think of simple ideas until someone else mentions them lol.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 240/240/220

Height: 5'4

This is good news considering I've been eating some eggs in the morning before work. I hard boil them in advance and peel so when I get up the morning I can just grab and go.
highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:36 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I love my egg white scramble with ketchup. (whites only - dr. says) Yes, I always feel 'fuller' longer when I eat eggs for breakfast.

Sometimes I'll add veggies or my new favorite - eggs, turkey pepperoni and 2% provelone cheese.

Also - egg white salad - hard cooked egg whites, miracle whip lite, dab of mustard - yum

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-17-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #39  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

EGGS are great!! I have two or three (hard boiled) in the morning- whites only or very little yolk. Then I can go until lunch with no cravings. If I do a bowl of cereal, I'm snacking in two hours. (this seems to be what everyone is saying...)

--and just yesterday I bought some turkey bacon that I am really curious about... somebody on 3FC recommended it. It's the weekend, so now I have time to fix it. Not sure about it tho, it looks weird...
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #40  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

Susan B- Thanks for those facts!
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #41  

I'm too lazy to do the dishes involved in making eggs every day, but on the weekends, I like to split two whole eggs + one egg white with my DH, scrambled with a splash of skim milk & a bit of black pepper. I add a little bit of low fat cheese when they're almost cooked and eat my half on top of a piece of toast (though the idea of spreading a laughing cow wedge on the toast sounds like a good one).

Egg whites are really the perfect source of protein. The one yolk + 1.5 whites still tastes great and by ditching that last yolk the fat is acceptable. The addition about bacon's morning-time goodness, though? A bit of a stretch.

Looking forward to breakfast tomorrow!
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote