Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #1  
Wandering in the Woods

Default Just starting, feeling that weird hollow feeling ....

I'm 6 days into a committed calorie counting (both in and out) and I am having all kinds of weird head trips. I've noticed some things: First of all, this is tough ! I have managed to find excuses to go Off Plan, ( though not too badly, and still mostly ahead) about 3 times out of 6 days, and they were on days 3,4 & 5. I am thinking, neurologically, my brain is trying it's hardest to find a weakness in the new regimen, instinctively, protectively, trying to guard against this newer fewer calories.

Though I feel on the other hand, I am eating more, now that I'm counting. I must be eating more good stuff, calorie lite like fruit, and popcorn, and no (or less) butter and carb binges. So, even if some days the calories are the same, they're much, much more nutritious calories, which in the end will stop the craving carbs cycle , or help a great deal, and, if I am eating fewer than normal, well, I'll feel that . I am noting a light hollow feeling, but , I suuppose that is the feeling that accompanies weight loss, especially at first.

I recall when I lost weight back in '94, how cold I was all the time, and how I bundled up so much. I will bundle up again, however it is getting to be warm soon, in a matter of a few weeks full warm California weather. I must for now just get use to that and not feel it is a signal to go eat some highly caloric thing like toast and butter, but to go make a cup of hot tea or decaff. I will find it very difficult, I expect, for a couple of weeks, and then after 10 pounds are off, say, beginning of May, I'll think "how could I have lived any other way, and put up with all the pain and literal anguish the weight and stuffed gut was making me feel... as if in self-induced torture". I will think that, I WILL begin to enjoy this, it WILL work ! It's worked before, and it is beginning to work now. It WILL get easier, won't it? I'd like to get some feedback about how it's been for you all in your first stage of weightloss.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #2  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Hi there,

I am just getting back myself. I have just come off a several months really bad binge, starve, binge starve.. cycle. Trying to get my footing again.

I just wanted to wish you well and tell you I am 46 and am angry at how much harder this all is now! I have the same mental stuff going on as well. Sometimes I swear I have a split personality! One indulgent and one stringent.

Last edited by Runundefined; 04-01-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #3  
Wandering in the Woods

Hi Run ~ Yeah me too... the Confused and Neglected Child who does not make good choices, tends to pig out to feel good, and the Higher Adult Self who punishes and is strict and starves to make up for the binge. Wouldn't it be great if we could really be aware of these separate voices, and train the Higher Self to be loving and lenient and foreseeing enough to allow treats without breaking commitment? If our commitment is in theory , ultimately for life, then we must start practicing moderacy. We have the same target weight, cool ! I'm glad we're about the same age roughly... we can grumble together. :-)
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hey Hermit Girl,

Nice avatar! I like your motto - Saving Myself, One Pound at a Time - very cool!

On the other hand, I don't consider popcorn very nutritious - is there any protein in it at all? I think it's just carbs. But I can't say for sure. I don't eat popcorn at all - I did buy a box with 3 packs a few months back because all of a sudden I had a craving for it, and I carefully selected the best low cal, low carb brand, and I still considered it "empty calories". But that's just me- I have to admit I am not that educated in terms of popcorn.

I think we all struggle with little binges like that - it gets easier as you go, I can promise you that, and you will learn how to curb them or nip them in the bud, but it takes some time. JMHO, of course.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #5  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Popcorn is basically just carbs - corn is a cereal after all. However, calorifically, if you don't have too much and it's not the stuff that's covered in sweet gunk, it's not too bad calorie-wise.

However the stuff that isn't covered in sweet gunk tastes bland so I don't bother with popcorn.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #6  

I remember struggling the first couple of weeks with never feeling "stuffed". Even though being stuffed is miserable, hot, lethargic, sickly, no energy etc. I found my body missing that feeling of eating until I really couldn't eat much more. It was kind of sad, but even though I ate whenever I was hungry on plan, it was like my body was so used to either Hungry or Stuffed, I was missing a whole category....Hungry---Satisfied----Stuffed.

After a while on plan my body started to appreciate and recognize the "satisfied" stage. What you mean I can actually function as a person in the 1-2 hours after eating?? Who woulda thought!

And now several months down the road I find myself not missing the stuffed feeling at all, and the few times I've eaten to that point, it's made me pretty miserable.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #7  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
I remember struggling the first couple of weeks with never feeling "stuffed". Even though being stuffed is miserable, hot, lethargic, sickly, no energy etc. I found my body missing that feeling of eating until I really couldn't eat much more. It was kind of sad, but even though I ate whenever I was hungry on plan, it was like my body was so used to either Hungry or Stuffed, I was missing a whole category....Hungry---Satisfied----Stuffed.

After a while on plan my body started to appreciate and recognize the "satisfied" stage. What you mean I can actually function as a person in the 1-2 hours after eating?? Who woulda thought!

And now several months down the road I find myself not missing the stuffed feeling at all, and the few times I've eaten to that point, it's made me pretty miserable.

Agreeing with this gentleman right here. At first I was constantly hungry, until my body got used to spanning out meals. Now I just feel that satisfied feeling when I eat. I absolutely hate feeling stuffed though and I hate feeling empty. Your body will eventually get used to it!
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote