Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Default amount of protein and fiber

I've been wondering how many protein & fiber grams other people consume per day, because I know protein & fiber help with satiety and I sometimes feel hungry during the day. I'm wondering if I'm not having enough.

According to MyPlate, I'm supposed to have 19 g of fiber and 39 g of protein per day. But most days I eat twice that! (At about 1600 calories.) I make a point to eat high-fiber or high-protein food whenever possible. So what gives? Why am I still hungry? Does my body just need time to adjust to eating fewer calories?
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

How hungry are you? There is a big difference between that sort of faintly hollow, "I could eat" feeling and raving "I can't think straight like this" hunger pangs. The latter is a problem--the former is, IMO, normal and even healthy.

There are other things that can feel like "hungry"--boredom, thirst, habit. Like Pavlov's dogs, we are trained to have hunger responses at certain stimuli, and you have to relearn those.

That said, I eat 50 grams of fiber most days, and 100-150 grams of protein without any weird supplements or anything--just lots of lean meat and whole foods. Experiment with what you eat. Certainly more protein and fiber won't kill you.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #3  

I try to eat a high protein low fat/carb diet.

I consume 130-170 average g of protein a day, but I'm a guy so that is a bit different.

I find it is more filling and triggers less cravings than carbs.

Not sure about my fiber intake off the top of my head though
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I eat over 100g of protein every day, and 25-50g of fiber usually.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote