Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 10:08 AM   #31  
Empress/Queen

Ok, Amarantha typed a long reply to Dollar and all Power O' Five members and the system saith she hath too many images, but instead of letting her take some out, it erased her typing!!! Urgh. She must work!!

Dollar: Glad to see you're getting your meds sorted out!!! Feel better and don't work too hard when you get back to the job. Hope your son feels better soon as well.

POWER O'FIVE: Elbertine Pep saith to KEEP THE FOCUS!!! We can do this! You bet! Those are history!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 06:22 PM   #32  

Default HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

Just wanted to pop in before the weekend to say "hi" and to soak up a little inspiration. Monday is my target goal day for the 1st 5. I will weigh-in then and go from there...................

Take care all
Old 09-06-2002, 07:54 PM   #33  

Smile Friday

Hello all!!

Dollar- Please be careful w/ those meds- Sometimes you have to be very persistent with the doctors- they do need be reminded what drugs we are taking -- they let us think they are on top of everything but they are too busy-- Some people feel like they are being rude or pushy and say " the doctor should know" - They don't know us as well we know our bodies-- I don't mean be nasty with them but be persistent nicely. We deserve it!!!!

Justdoit! Punkinseed and I also have a Monday weighin!!! Its almost like placing a small bet on a boring sports game-- Suddenly makes it much more interesting!! Makes some of those "why not" thoughts become "because of Monday weighin"

I don't have any expectations for this weighin because I have been off track with this stomach bug. Most of my appetite is back but still not getting all the water down--

So, here's to the weekend--

Tomorrow evening I'm attending a concert in honor of 9/11. The concert is 250 person choir backed up by our local symphony.
I am excited. Its at the Opera House. I plan on wearing a skirt, hope its dressy enough-- Tickets are less than $20 so I dont think I'll see any tuxedos.

Till next time!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:50 PM   #34  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Amarantha is way over her happy 1700s caloriewise! Hoping to stop at 2250 but feeling an urge to just go get cake or something. Likely won't. Exercise is at 40 minutes and going to do the Leslie challenge soon, mayhap! Still doing better than last week. Amarantha's weigh-in is Sunday and if she hath gained back the she lost, she will have to throw the scale against the wall and trample it into little pieces and take it to the landfill and bury it! So hope that isn't necessary.

Good luck to all who are weighing in on Monday! Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Amarantha will miss the no guilt thread.

Kaylets: I think it's nice your local symphony is doing a special concert to honor 9/11. It'll be a good event to attend. Enjoy.

It has been a weird kind of day here. Maybe it's the double digits ... it's now 88 degrees but very humid. Amarantha really wishes to eat some sugar, lots of it. Hmmm.

Nevertheless, we carry on BECAUSE ... that's right, BECAUSE we have the POWER! WE WILL SUCCEED! How can it be otherwise because ... ?
Old 09-07-2002, 06:09 AM   #35  

Default Sat am early

Dh was getting breakfast together but we started talking and the onions started burning- we've decided to go out for breakfast before we go yardsaling-- lots and lots of yardsales in the paper so maybe will find some deals but for sure get some walking in too.

Empress A- Sugar has been callling me too-- Don't know why for sure but my coworkers have been inspired to bake at night and share in the daytime-- Apple pie on Thurs, Sugar cookies w. cupcakes on Friday-- To top it off, my job celebrated end of summer w/ a bbq and all everyone could talk about was how wonderful the cake was!! Sorry if I'm making everyone's mouth water, I'm just realizing mine is watering too!! I didnt go near anything, am afraid I might have hurt the feelings of pie maker, although she is following WW's too- She suggested "just make it a pie breakfast" and I said, " If I hadnt had breakfast already, you might have talked me into it" -- Good news is that the discussion in the group then turned to how lard makes the perfect crust-- that did help me resist--

The point of all that was -- You're not alone!! The sugar sirens are strong !! Shall we tie ourselves to the mast ??

Today's goal is to concentrate on getting the water intake back to at least 80oz.

talk to you all later
Old 09-07-2002, 08:56 AM   #36  

Oh, that sugar song! And how well I know it. It was singing to me in the early part of the week but I don't hear it now. And the strange part is we bought lots of non-chocolate candy yesterday. On dh's new low potassium diet, he is allowed that and, it seems, little else. He's a chocoholic and that's no longer allowed so we are having an emergency supply of that and non-chocolate, non nut cookies. So far he hasn't touched either. Still blowing my mind that all the healthy stuff I was pushing was probably in recent months hurting him. Abd figuring out what he can eat is still tough. He's been a trooper so far though and since he can't eat so many things, I'm more able to eat less in sympathy (AT LEAST WHEN HE'S AROUND ;-) ).
Old 09-07-2002, 01:59 PM   #37  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

Yipes!!! Lard pie!!! Yep, that'd do it for me, too, Kaylets! Wouldn't matter what was actually insidethe lard crust, just couldn't get into that! (Caveat: No offense meant to anyone who bakes with lard, likes lard, produces lard or otherwise is a lard supporter ... strictly personal opinion!) Now a pie breakfast sans the might be ok. I think I'd take 'em in an apple crisp made with just a tiny bit of sugar, apples and Grape Nuts. Yes, the only thing I DON'T miss about working at home is the coworkers wanting me to eat stuff! It was night eating in the newsroom in the midwest that set me up for the major weight gain I experienced before I came out here! Pizza at 2 a.m., pie in the a.m. before deadline, meetings with doughnuts and sticky buns, pitch-ins, etc. Yipes! GOOD FOR YOU FOR YOUR STALWART ADHERENCE TO THE CAUSE OF THE POWER O' FIVE, THAT BEING THE RELOCATION OF TO A RETIREMENT HOME FOR NO LONGER WANTED !!!

Anagram: GOOD FOR YOUR DH IN ATTENDING TO HIS HEALTH AND FOLLOWING HIS EATING PROGRAM!!! It is very hard to change ourselves and to give up what gave us comfort in the past! He's to be commended. P.S., can he eat carob products? It's not chocolate but kind of the same feel. Gotta watch the fat with that, but it's high in fiber.

Elbertine Pep is going on vacation! She's hiking around the world and promises to send dispatches back to Amarantha and the Power O' Five. EP has gotten herself into splendid shape for the hike. She hath 20 percent bodyfat and rock-solid triceps. She sent an email today from the South Empire o' Walking Poles, where she spent the night at the Royal Spa before starting out. She is walking to the South Shore through the Forest of Stalwart Stable Trees, which standeth through all winds and weathers and never, never give up their dreams (such dreams as trees have anyway)! She ate a breakfast o' high fiber Good Friends Crunch and a lowfat bbq sandwich for lunch and she is 60 minutes into the hike! She saith she walks in honor o' Artemis the Huntress but that she is hunting herself. EP gets like that sometimes. We just let her walk and saith, "Hi!"

Last edited by Amarantha2; 09-07-2002 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:26 PM   #38  

Thanks for the carob suggestion, Empress A. However the poor soul must also eschew high fiber. Does not sound of this world, does it? And he did love the bran muffins I occasionally made to induce him to better health. I leached some lettuce and peppers today so they may help as he loves his salads but must limit even those. Also froze some skinless boneless chicken breasts and calculated the average weight of each piece as he may have only 6 oz of meat per day. Methinks this is more of a pain than watching what I eat as I have to relearn so much. However it is in a most worthwhile cause and I am most rewarded if we can keep him at least as healthy as he currently is (he is out hitting that little white ball around). And if it does keep him off dialysis or at least off it that much longer, how glad I am to be able to do it.

Other than that, "a beautiful day in Central PA" (as a onetime local radio personality used to say). Walked earlier and forced me into paperwork instead of shopping. Heard from dear son that he and wife will be here for a few days over the next weekend. Not a real ticket to eat when they come because they both eat most healthily. Veggie lasagna and a large salad will be first meal to prepare. Both most healthy specimens. Never were they really fat but have trimmed away extra ounces and toned since their marriage. DDIL is in training for Marine Corps Marathon next month (may have mentioned that before somewhere) and has former couch potato ds doing hikes, walks etc. and sometimes a run (if there is beer involved).

Happy travels to EP. May she come back renewed and refreshed to help us harness the POWER OF FIVE.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:01 AM   #39  
Opera Diva

ARRRGH!! Life crisis! I can't make myself eat right at school! I know I'm moving a lot more than in the summer because in addition to working out, I also have to run all around campus everyday, so obviously I'll need more calories. But at the same time, everyone around me is so into doing what feels good. AKA - eating 5, 6, 7 cookies, or an entire pizza. And I can't stand being around 7 roommates all eating a box of cookies and me wanting them so badly. Sometimes I can say no and get a graham cracker, but usually I either give in or I eat 4 or 5 graham crackers to compensate. What am I supposed to do? How can I be around all this food without cracking up? At least at home I could kind of regulate the food in the house, but here, I have no say over the other people in my house!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Genevieve (Feeling very frustrated! )
Old 09-08-2002, 08:15 AM   #40  

Smile Sunday

Guinever- try to keep in mind that its only been a few days really in your new routine--New habits are like some new shoes, they pinch sometimes as you're breaking them in-- I give you TWO NO GUILT PASSES-- You will be fine- this is just a tiny detour and only temporary.

It wouldnt suprise me if at least one other roommate is struggling w/ the cookie issue too-- My bet is that if you told your roommates about the 5lb challenge, you'll find out someone else in the room is interested too-- maybe even more--

if so, perhaps you can plan a trip together to the store for better alternatives.

Are there any swimming, yoga, wgt trning, walking "clubs" "classes" on campus? Odds are, if there are, a beginners class might be starting or perhaps even a more experieced roommate might love to share tips --

Are you allowed a minifridge and microwave? Is bottled water your only option for good tasting water??

You might have to hide out in the library sometimes or "food free" zones--

Keep on stopping back, all of us are here for you!
Old 09-08-2002, 10:55 AM   #41  
Empress/Queen

Default Woo-Hoo!!! (Kind Of!)

Well, much as Amarantha would like to posteth a loss in the 5-pound challenge, she's only maintained this week!!! BUT she feeleth good and her clothes are looser and a DROP must be in the offing for her challenge deadline ... if not, well, we KNOW what can be done about that! (Deadlines can be changed). She hath had a good week, though not as low an average calorie count as she's aiming for. She's calling it good for the 21-day challenge anyway and is on week three of that. Average calories for the week: 1885, total exercise calories burned 2000, which is high enough. The Leslie challenge continues unabated!!! SHE IS MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER THAT SHE WILL LOSE THE FIVE POUNDS!!!! She meeteth Elbertine Pep at the South Shore o' the Ocean o' Determination later to take a walk on the beach and they will shout: "WOO-HOO! AMARANTHA HATH NOT GAINED THIS WEEK AND IS STILL IN THE RUNNING FOR THE FIVE BAGS O' VIRTUAL GOLD AND DOES NOT HAVE TO STOMP ON HER SCALE AND BURY IT IN A LANDFILL!

GUINEVER!!! It is so neat to follow your college adventures! Amarantha concureth with Kaylets, it's all going to fall into place and you're going to excel on all fronts, including the fitness/weight management thingie! Please never think that you are not in control; you ARE in control of the most important person in the equation: YOU!!! Soon you will be telling yourself: "I can do this; I can do this; I can do this!" :hypno: Because, of course, you can!!! Have fun! Amarantha will step down from now!
Old 09-08-2002, 05:23 PM   #42  
Opera Diva

Hey Kaylets, Amarantha - Thanks so much! I really need to let off some steam the other night and coming here was definetly better than polishing off a box of crackers!

I totally understand everything you're talking about Kaylets, and I think you are right about me needing to get out of the house sometimes when the temptation is just too great - maybe I'll make it a habit to come up to my room and log on to this site when I'm in trouble.

And also, there is another girl in the house trying to lose weight, but she's not very smart about it - AKA, she only looks at the fat grams, she thinks just because it's wheat instead of white it's OK, you know the type - ****, I've been the type!. Plus, living with a house of boys with the melabolism of rabbits doesn't help when they have to eat about 3,500 calories a day just to stay alive!

I do go running at least 3 times a week, and only buy healthy food for myself. I think I'm going to try and put a total block on other people's food - no matter what it is they offer me, if I didn't buy it, I'll say no. That should make things a little more cut and dry.

Thank you guys so much, after I read your responses, I got right back on track!

Genevieve
Old 09-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #43  

Smile Sunday

Guinever- I didnt realize this was a coed setup!!

This is a sad fact and not fair but here it is: Weight loss and gain is not equal for the two sexes...........

My DH and I are eating nearly the same things, day in, day out.
He has lost double plus some what I have. Early this summer, he did a lot more physical things than I could, ( put in a patio, dug up 2 gardens for me) but stiiiiilllllllllllllllll is double plus fair??

Your blocking plan has its good points-- here is something else to consider-- and what I didnt realize until I had a teenager living in my house- I'm not saying this is true with all young men but certainly know other mothers who tell me what happens at my house is not unusual behavior. To put it delicately: Many young men do not wash their hands except when they're in the shower.

Certainly has stopped me from eating something I know I didnt open, cook, etc.

Now, before everyone hollers and says, " Why do you let that happen!!"-- this child is DH's and didnt move here till he was 16. Besides which, I know for a fact, he wasnt raised that way. His mother's house is so clean you could eat off the floor of her GARAGE.

Anyway, you don't have to agree to still offer support to the other "dieter". (assuming the weightloss program being followe d isn't scary )--

And yes, come and post !!
Old 09-08-2002, 10:56 PM   #44  
Empress/Queen

Kaylets, that's bit about the hand washing would do it for me!!!

Amarantha hath finished eating at 1965 calories, with 90 minutes of exercise taken care of and the Leslie-A-Day Challenge taken care of. Elbertine Pep hath sent Amarantha a message from the ferry she hath taken across the Bay o' Determination in the first leg of her quest to go walkabout around the world. She hath looked out over the Bay o' Determination and been inspired to remind the Power o' Five Team that determination conquereth all and that those pesky are HISTORY!!!

Hope someone hath an update soon, as Amarantha is getting anxious to post the list again! (She probably needs to get out more too and get a life)!

We can do this. You bet!
Old 09-09-2002, 06:46 AM   #45  

Thumbs down Monday

Can't quite beieve it and maybe I'm dreaming !! So 'll post quick before I wake up------- 2 (TWO) more pounds gone!!!
Closed Thread