Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 09:43 AM   #16  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Babette, I'm being you today and trying to clean house, pay bills and get my head straight so I can get the real work (stuff that pays bills, aka writing) done this weekend. So that's my mental challenge for today!!! Re email, I just don't see an option to block and send back ... I'm going to call tech help today! Thanks, Babette, (P.S., yes I do sort of prefer to write fiction ... two unpublishable novels, etc., actually, I hate writing, though!!!) Good for you for walking even with the rock in stomach!!!

Kaylets: I think you are right ... why is the popular idea to consider "diet" (which just means a food plan not an eating disorder ... I've had eating disorders and they weren't about "diet") ... as a penalty for something ... why is it NOT being kind to ourselves to achieve and maintain a healthy weight (not by obsession or starving or throwing up, which the media ... of which I am one ... loves to equate it with) ... why is healthy, consistent exercise equated so often in the public mind with an obsession rather than a means of fun and self-gratification? Why ask why? I don't know ... I'm rambling ... but I know if you never drive a car but just keep putting gas in, it'll overflow or rust or blow up or something? Why do we (the public) never discuss people who lose weight by healthy eating and exercise and who keep it off by more of the same? Look at the book that came out about the National Registry of Weight Loss study ... how long was it discussed in the media and how often did I hear the naysayers (e.g. the ones who worry that us CRE's ... chronic restrained eaters ... are crazed, obsessed bullemics and anorexics) bash it with their usual noise about how it just wasn't realistic to try to lose weight ... it was too hard ... sigh ... I really am ranting ... sorry ... have a great day driving your car ...

In order to feel justified about the nine Leslie tapes I bought, I'm pledging to do at least one Leslie tape (not necessarily the new ones) each day until further notice. Started yesterday! I'm also pledging myself to continue on the 5-day challenge thread, posting there forever if I have to until I lose the five pounds (and then going for another) ... and posting here also ...

Didn't mean to ramble ... sheesh ... the mind will not focus ... focus ... focus. But everyone, Amarantha wisheth thee a good day!!!

Old 09-05-2002, 11:05 AM   #17  
Is it Friday yet?

OoooOoooh, look at Punkin, sportin' her new size Medium/Tall leggings... ooooh, aaaahhh, isn't it purdy how in her new pants her a$$ isn't hanging down to her knees??? Very niiiiice... once she can thin down the calves she inherited from her Mom she can also fit into those new size 16 jeans she just bought that she can get all the way on, but can't feel her calves after 10 minutes... ooooh, ahhhh....
I may have ate like a last night, but I can get into smaller clothes. I'm hangin' on to that and getting back in gear today!

Kaylets - Ooooh, what can I tell ya... I know he worked for a company that sports a giant mouse as it's trademark for I believe almost 13 years (w/ locations in Florida and California) who is also one of our clients and now he works for the company we contract to. I have no idea about who filed for divorce or why or how long they were separated - it was just a couple weeks ago that he really started giving me information about all of that. From what I know it wasn't long because I remember him telling me he'd moved and now just a few months later he's officially divorced. I don't think he's seeing anyone else, I'd think it was too soon - he only mentions going out with a group of friends. I doubt anything will come of any of this, just havin' fun... I do have a business trip planned for next spring to go down there.
Yes, I'm scared outta my mind.

Amarantha - I like the analogy of the car too.... it frustrates me to no end to hear those people say it can't be done. It's attitudes like that that cause people to sit back and say "why bother, it can't be done - a scientist said so". That's BS, why *don't* they show more success stories??? It's almost like they don't WANT anyone to succeed! I believe it was the AMA that last year finally recognized obesity as an actual DISEASE - that we're not just a bunch of lazy fat slobs, there's something physiologically different about those of us that put on this kind of weight - it's a disease, that kills more than anyone realizes and it's only getting worse. Ok, I'll end my tirade now...

Same here Kaylets, I can't believe next Wednesday is the anniversary. I pray nothing happens and that we all make it through the day and handle the emotions that are going to come with it. I plan to put out my American flag and say a prayer for those families who lost loved ones.
They're callling it Patriots Day now and I wonder if it's going to end up being a new holiday. It would be kind of weird if they did - that we all witnessed it from the moment it happened.

Anyway, have a good day everyone and don't work too hard!

Terri
Old 09-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #18  
Empress/Queen

Hooray for Punkin O' Friday! It's not Friday but she's in NEW SMALLER SIZE LEGGINGS! Good for you, Punkin, you'll be in the jeans in no time!

I was glad to see obesity recognized as a disease, too. I guess I wasn't trying to say that eating disorders do not exist (I'm living proof they do), merely that obesity is also a serious health concern that needs to be addressed in a serious but proactive way (not by weird diet books or starving or over exercising or obsessing over every bite ... well, I do, but I like it)! It DOES take focus and commitment to reduce to and maintain a healthy weight, but it can be done. It should also be said that not everyone needs to be Twiggy. People come in all sizes and shapes and until each and every one of us recognizes and loves ourselves for the beauty of our own individual bodies, we will not succeed in changing.

Yipes, I'll stop!

Re: Wednesday ... I think Patriots' Day would be a good name and there should be a holiday, but maybe not for awhile. Hmmm. I keep writing a sentence to let you guys know what my wish is for that day and I find it is too harsh to post here!

Onward and downward everyone! I'm going to take a nap (so I don't work too hard).

Last edited by Amarantha2; 09-05-2002 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:28 PM   #19  
Is it Friday yet?

Ooooo, I'm curious... your wish is too harsh to post here?? I betcha' if you told a few people would probably agree that that is their wish too...

I was in the newspaper this morning that Pres. Bush has indeed declared Sept. 11th this year and in the years to come as "Patriots Day". All flags at federal and state buildings are to be flown at half staff and that if possible to spend a moment in silence at 5:46am (pacific time) in rememberance.

Amarantha - I also constantly remind myself that not all people are made to be "Twiggy's" too. I've been in a bad habit of not liking myself now, and telling myself I'll do/be/feel/act like (insert whatever here) when I lose weight and forget that while I'm waiting to get to that "perfect place", life is passing me by. So yes, accept yourself now, in your present form and work towards health....
Whew, talk about a !

I'm going home now, big hugs, see ya all tomarrow!

Terri
Old 09-05-2002, 07:09 PM   #20  

Smile Thursday

Yes, exactly, " and meanwhile life is passing by" --

We've all heard the story about the executive on his death bed--
and how his last words would never be " I wished I spent more time at the office" ......

The 5lb thread shows the "life strategies" - there was some discussion about how to meet a goal you have to "give up " something- I agree-- but when I really look at what I'm giving up I don't mind-- I'm giving up making excuses, I'm giving up indecision, I'm giving up not being in control, I'm giving up the guilt of all of the above.

Empress A- I have noticed the same thing - marketing is amazing-
I could understand if it was European Chocolate for instance, but
how could so many things be such a "Treat" or "Reward" . Can you imagine if someone gave you one of those little -------- as a gift? Or if your boss said, "good job, here's a ---------"

But, I don't know if its sublimminal or hynotism- Just something that has a similiar packaging can put my hand into Reflex mode.

And I wouldnt be a bit suprised to find out that the food industry is behind "slim= sick" propaganda. And on the other side, there is just as much snake oil be sold in the "diet aids" aisle. Just last week, a good friend confided that she felt she was "taken" by the "Vinegar Diet Capsule" people because she took all the pills and didnt lose anything.

Talk about soapbox !! I'm going to stop because I'm feel like I'm just getting warmed up.....
Old 09-05-2002, 07:49 PM   #21  
Empress/Queen

Hmmm. Well, yes. I agree the "diet" industry is full of quackery ... and should be stopped from making ridiculous claims about their products. But at a certain basic level, in my opinion, if people buy the snake oil, that is their choice and I almost don't feel that is being taken. I realize there's a whole bunch of conflicting information floating around and people are confused. I guess part of me doesn't understand why what seems so obvious in weight loss (take in less calories ... or points or food exchanges or whatever ... than you put out to lose weight, do the opposite to gain) seems so elusive. Granted it's hard to do because eating and weight issues are very complex and get all mixed up in our psyches with a bunch of other stuff. Granted there's the high pro way or the high carb way or the lowfat way or the high fiber way or ... the list to choose from goes on and some works and some is gobbleydegook (sp?) ... and varying issues of metabolism, burn rate, muscle ratio, age, certain medical conditions, all play a role ... but the bottom line seems to be "don't overeat, get off the couch." I can't see how anyone can think vinegar pills would help but maybe for some it could have a placebo effect and would likely be healthier anyway than an ephedra supplement.

Sorry, if the above sounds arrogant or judgemental. I'm just cranky. Off the now totally! Going to go do my Leslie for the day. I've already exercised 70 minutes so this is gravy.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:36 AM   #22  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Day 2, believe it or not!

Good Morning, best and brightest of Blockettes!

I actually made it through yesterday and am on to day 2 today. For whatever reason, the point limit seems to be counter-productive for me. If I don't set it, but eat according to hunger, I am over some days and under others, but I gradually lose weight. So that's where I am with this challenge. I lost 7 pounds on the first challenge (although it took me a while to get through it ) Still, better than losing nothing, which is where I've been since. Onward and Downward!

More car analogies: eating for reasons other than hunger is like putting gas in the tank to fix a broken windsheild - doesn't work, the problem remains. And I have excess gas, expressed as FAT

Amarantha, that really says it: "Get off the couch, and don't overeat!" There was an obesity researcher here recently that said the same thing. Which we should have known all along. I remember coming to the realization years ago when I wasn't overweight and one of my sisters, who'd just been dumped by her boyfriend said she didn't want to do anything but eat and was gaining weight. I told her to get a new obsession - exercise, art, whatever, but just focus on positive actions rather than trying to change negative behaviours, because the negative behaviours were trying to fill empty places in her life. If she filled those, the desire to overeat should go away. And it worked great for her, she's never had a weight problem since. And here I am trying to dig my way out of my fat suit again TODAY I am going to try to sign up for that painting class, and if I can't I'll see about getting a creative writing group together.

Kaylets, your list of things that you're giving up was FANTASTIC. I'm copying it out to keep on hand. So true!Let's try to get rid of all this excess baggage, because it surely can weigh a body down, both physically and metaphorically. Thanks!

Punkin, V. Happy Friday to you! I sure do admire the non-droopy butt in your new medium/tall leggings. WTG! I know we need to accept ourselves "as is" but these little things (like fitting into size 16s - that's the size I recently moved to too ) sure make it easier, don't they.

[b]Let's get out there and make this a fabulous day, Blockettes! Love to all!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #23  
Empress/Queen

[COLOR=deeppink]Good-morning, BLOCKETTES! (R. Williams voice)

I think I'm on Day 13 of this block, the BLUE one of two in my MOON initiative!!! Ended eating at 1790, exercise a whopping 130 minutes, did the Leslie tape in my Leslie-A-Day Challenge (to justify the cost of the nine new tapes I just bought, which I love). Still doing pole walking, weights, Pilates, etc., etc., also ... mixing exercise types works best for me.

Babette: Another car analogy might be that putting junky gas of undetermined origin in your Mercedes-Benz wouldn't be a good idea ... you'd always put in the best gas and change the oil every three months and make sure there was the correct amount of water and antifreeze in there ... so why would we treat our bodies differently, because unlike a MB, we can't buy another one!

I like that advice your friend got: Just get another obsession. I think I'm going to sign up for yoga classes and/or Spanish next week.

ONWARD AND DOWNWARD, ROYAL BLOCKETTES!!! Oops, sorry, was I shouting?!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:44 AM   #24  
Is it Friday yet?

Good morning and Happy Friday!!!!

My 49'ers won last night (sorry New York... hehehehe)

I'm actually going to start doing some Christmas shopping tonight. Michaels is having a sale on a bunch of stuff so I figure, why not. I'll get a jump on it.

Nothing else much happening... this weekend if it doesn't rain I need to stain/seal my deck for winter and finish putting the panels up on my carport. It's already dipping into the 30's here at night so it's time to do my winterizing. Last winter I put off turning on the heater in my well pump house and froze my pipes - of course I didn't know this had happened until I had a headful of shampoo at 5:30am and my water suddenly stopped flowing... That's not happenin' this year!

Since we've been talking about the sciences and marketing of weight loss - have you seen the study released in the news yesterday? They're saying eating less fat and doing more exercise will help you lose weight. DAMN! Why didn't I think of that?????

Off to make my Michael's list....

Terri

Oh! I just noticed I just made my 500th post!

Last edited by Punkinseed; 09-06-2002 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:35 PM   #25  

Smile Friday evening

Hello all!!

Punkinseed!! 30' at night - oh boy!! Yes, I saw that same "announcement" too- It was so close to the "scientific Study" that I ranted on and on about last time that I didnt mention it. I'm starting to think that if its a slow news day some of the "not news" gets rerun. But maybe I'm expecting logic where I shouldn't. But I am sure, they think we don't "get it". Lots of "theys" too- All the marketing (including the Biggest marketers, the politicians) that's based on " the sheep will follow".
I did hope that the internet would blow the curtain off that Wizard but I think I'm wrong.

and yes, Babette and Empress A- ( if the car analogies aren't too 'old' yet) -- Don't most of us have a car maintenance plan?
Oil change at so many miles, seasonal fluid checks, tire maintenance-- and don't most of us have some kind of a spare tire and jack in case the unexpected happens? When we lived in CT, you always kept a blanket, flashlight, sand, etc in the trunk for snow situations. and then, when you can't figure out the car emergency, there's the car support system -- the Auto Club. ( and I won't even mention how my folks keep a notebook in the ashtray to record the mileage everytime the buy gas so they can track how many mpg ).

And we could find similiar comparisons for our houses too. We make plans to make replaceable items last as long as they can, to get our full value-- Yes, Empress A, you are so right, we take better care of everything but the one thing we can't replace.

Oh, I know, there is always the logic of " life is short , I'm going to enjoy it" - Absolutely- that's my plan too- Enjoy not wheezing going up 4 steps, Enjoy not being self concious because youre waist size is bigger than your bust size, Enjoy feeling years younger -- (Its not the years slowing us down, its the excess weight)--

I plan on enjoying the journey- Wasted too much of it already--
When has become NOW!!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:06 PM   #26  
Empress/Queen

You are right, Kaylets! (car/survivalist analogy coming up, nope it's not getting old to me, anyway) In rural Arizona, one makes sure to carry extra water when going on a car trip, plus a cell phone (which won't usually work in mountains) and one (hopefully) tells people where one is going so if the car breaks down someone might come and look for you before you die of heat exposure. And if one DID have to get out of the car and start hiking down the mountain or got lost in the desert, it'd be best to be at a healthy weight and have a reserve of fitness to draw on.

And you are right about it not being about age ... fitness can be improved at any age. I've seen studies about how 90-year-old people enjoy an increased quality of life after being put on a resistance exercise program.

I plan on enjoying the journey, too, however short or long it is!

If only I did not crave right now!!! Urgh!

Still have eons of work to do this weekend. Must get off internet! [/COLOR]
Old 09-07-2002, 07:14 AM   #27  
deleted2

Lookin' good there, Punkin! Work it, girl!!!! And by all means, enjoy yourself---who knows what can happen.....

And just my 2 cents---it really is heartbreaking to see some of the stuff that's on the market to help people lose weight. I've even been tempted myself. It's always a revelation to me to realize that when I feel confident and deserving of life's blessings I have no problem staying on program--does that make sense? I think it's all very complicated and there's no one-size-fits-all program for everyone. I've been at this for almost 5 years and I said when I started that it didn't matter how long it took, I was in for life! And I'm always fine-tuning it.

I'Ve GOT TO TELL YOU--this is important! There's a magazine out there called "More". In the September issue on sale now there's an article about the lovely Jamie Lee Curtis and some very telling photos. God bless her, she reveals herself as she really is without the makeup and designer clothes [and she's perfectly lovely!] and another photo where she's all glammed up. The point is it's all a fraud and it took 13 people 3 hours to get her looking so glamorous! So please, check it out--it's a real eye-opener! Let me know what you think.

Gotta walk while it's still cool! Love to everybody!

Old 09-07-2002, 01:34 PM   #28  

Smile Sat midday

just checking in--

Q Eydie, it makes perfect sense to me-- Its one of the reasons I gained in the first place--( and then said "When did that happen?)

And just like a little kid who thinks nobody can see hm when he covers his eyes-- what I didnt think about didnt add to the "not worthy" mentality. Harder to ignore the tight clothes, tight seats, etc.

but, all that is behind me ( I know what you're thinking!)

Yes, I think I understand how there are so many choices; that if you think the "experts" know more than the rest of us, its easy to not question the "Lose 10lbs in 3 days" diet. I remember one day at work years ago, a young lady called the same diet people.
This young lady was very upset with them because they would only sell a 30 day supply- She said, if it only takes 3 days, what do I need a 30 day supply for?? Somehow, they talked her into it, she wound up buying it.

Or sometimes I wonder, do these scams do well because people assume the sellers are honest? I know I have been caught off guard with how many predators are out there. And right on my block too--

anyway!!!!!!!!!!

Yardsaling went well-- found some Pfaltzgraff and some jazz CD's - Dave Coz and Kiko Matsui (sp?) -- think I'll plug in the headset while I do some laundry.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:29 PM   #29  
Empress/Queen

Eydie: It makes sense to me, too. When I feel confident and demon-free and at peace, I easily stay OP and make good progress. It's much harder each year, actually, to keep that healthy balance of mental, physical and hope for the future, but I do think it's a mindset that has to happen before my weight problems (or any other) can be managed. But I don't care, either, how long it takes, because I'm a lifer, too!

Kaylets: I like that one about wondering why, if it only takes three days to lose 10 pounds, do we need a 30-day supply! I do think it's easy to assume most sellers are honest. I'm a reporter and even after all these years, I still want to trust people, though they all lie like rugs! (Present company excepted, sorry, do not mean any offense to any honest people in the world ... but even honest people lie, if only to themselves).

My program is going well today and I'm trying for UNDER 1699 calories but don't really care all that much if it's good healthy food. No junk so far and a 60-minute hike. Elbertine Pep hath gone walkabout and Amarantha posted about her trip on the 5-pound thread. She inspireth Amarantha to NEVER, NEVER give up on this journey (or any journey). All Royal Blockettes and Power o' Five members are and can weather any revisions in fortune or fate that cometh their way and succeed eventually in the journey, however long or short.

WE CAN DO THIS!!! YES, WE CAN!
Old 09-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #30  
deleted2

Default TRUE STORY!

I've got to share this---it happened a while back. I was talking to an aquaintance and she was on a diet. She showed me the plan and it as one of those 'lose 10 pounds in 3 days' things. The food was pretty grim. One of the meals was one plain hotdog with a blop of cottage cheese---ick. I asked her if it really worked and she said "Yes, I've done it lots of times!" She couldn't understand why I giggled at that.
You can't make this stuff up!

Closed Thread