Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Default Why are the last pounds so dang hard?????

I am having an issue with the last few pounds. First it was 10.... then I got down to 2.5, now I am up to 5....... It has been a battle. I am one year and 5 months into my WL and I soooo want to hit "that" number.

I am going through what a lot of people go through that lose a lot of weight, everyone around them says "you look fine, you should stop now" kind of stuff. But I want to get to my own personal goal.

So..... do you think it is all mental that the last pounds are the hardest?

Tell me your story!

Tammy
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad you posted this, I'm interested to hear from other people...

In my personal journey I didn't find it super difficult to get to my original goal. Once I got there however, I decided it wasn't where I wanted to be. So I've altered my goal and would like my maintenance range to be between 150-155. These last 10 pounds are driving me nuts! I've never been one to fluctuate up and down... so needless to say I'm just stuck at 160! I'm planning to ramp up my runs and do more strength training, but I just started this so I can't say if it helps or not yet. Anything help you get to where you are?

Last edited by stargzr; 03-10-2010 at 09:14 AM.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The only way to NOT get to your goal is if you STOP (eating healthy/exercising) before you get there.

I think many people DO fall into that complacency thing. They're looking and feeling soooo much better and then - lo and behold - they let their guard down. Oh this one time, it won't hurt so much, what's the big deal, yada, yada, yada.

You've got to STAY focused and remember what it is you want the MOST. If you DO indeed want those last pounds off - go at there and GET EM' OFF! Go back to dieting one oh one if need be. You bite it, you write it. Set yourself up some rules. Set some boundaries. Make yourself some definite no's. Have the healthy foods on hand. Plan the heck out of your days. And then execute the heck out of them. Day in and day out.

And remember you can't have it both ways - you can't go off plan AND expect the weight loss. It just can't happen. Consistency. Consistency. AND MORE CONSISTENCY. That's right - CONSISTENCY - is important now more than ever. That is the key.

You have the ability to do this, make no mistake about it. Challenge yourself. Stretch. Reach. Push yourself. AMAZE yourself.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #4  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Ugh, sign me up for this club. I stopped exactly 10lbs away from my goal and have been stuck here for about 3 weeks. I fluctuate between 148 and 151. I just started rigidly counting calories and measuring portions, just started exercising, lowered my calories, and now that I'm doing all that, I plateau!

I'm going to *try* upping my calories a bit. I haven't really changed my diet other than counting every calorie that goes into my mouth, but I did start doing 3 sessions of weight training and 5-6hrs of cardio. When I started working out, I stopped losing weight. So I guess I just need to play around with it and find the magic formula again.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Tammy, come on and visit with us in Featherweights.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/feat...t-march-7.html

Our biggest struggle is the puzzle of the last few pounds.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #6  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Unlike others, I didn't find that the last 10-15 was such a struggle. Probably because I was so pleased with the way I felt and looked. I decided that my body would determine my final weight and it pretty much did. It did take about 6 months to lose the final 15 lbs and I was ok with that. I was able to learn so much from my journey that eating well, exercising, drinking lots of water, getting plenty of rest, etc. has become my new norm. I feel so good in this body that I'm not willing to go OP at this point. I do understand the complacency that occurs when you are close to your goal. But if you stay OP with food and exercise (my fav) your body will have no choice but to release those final few lbs. Patience and practice!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #7  

Thank you sooooo much stargzr, losermom, mkendrick. I know I can always count on the solid 3fc community to help.

RockinRobin..... if it were you, would you "fast" for a couple days to re focus?

Susan, thanks for the invite.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Tammy~I totally understand how you are feeling.

I am so close to my goal, but for me every pound has been a struggle. I've been going at it for 3 years and 7 months. I'm okay with that because I have learned the right skills to help me maintain. I've had good times and bad times, but mostly good. I've learned so much about my body (which is a good thing). I know what I can eat, how much I can eat, and when I should eat. I know what exercise works for me, how much is too much, how much is too little. Its great knowing myself that well.

Robin, I think you are right about people relaxing and feeling like they look good. Complacency and getting back into old habits won't help you maintain. I've been there. 17 months ago I had a bad stretch 10 weeks and 10 pounds later I re-committed to myself. I learned a lesson~I have to keep working out and eating right. It was a good lesson to learn.

Since I am so close to my goal (a goal I set so long ago), I have increased my workouts from running 2-3 miles 4 times a week to 6 times a week, plus weights and strength. Plus 60 minute aerobics class 3 times a week. My calories in vary. I listen to my body. but I usually eat 1200-1500 cals depending on my run. (I am diabetic so I have to be careful with my food intake) ~I want the last 6 pounds to come off, but what is more important to me is that I am very healthy!! Last weekend I ran 6.4 miles in 65 minutes , and I was still able to hold a normal conversation at the end The scale is just a number in the end.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Unlike others, I didn't find that the last 10-15 was such a struggle.
Ummm, I didn't find it a struggle either . I was speaking about why others may find it so difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post

RockinRobin..... if it were you, would you "fast" for a couple days to re focus?
No way on earth would you get me to fast. I like to/want to/need to/ have to EAT.

What I would do, like I mentioned above - I would plan, plan and than plan some more. Have each and every bite all mapped out in advance and stick to that plan like glue - like glue. Maybe add in a couple of new recipes, scrounge around. Some nice healthy salads, side dishes, chicken or fish dishes. I'd make a pledge, a promise, a vow, a somethiing and not make it an option to NOT stick with it. MAKE THIS A TIPPY TOP PRIORITY!!! Re-commit. Remember what you want the MOST and then vow to do what's necessary to make it happen.

Oh and erhaps you can kick up your workouts a bit too. How's the exercise portion of this equation looking???

jcatron243, well hello there my friend. So good to "see" you and though you say that you've struggled - just look at you - look how much you've accomplished. I bet you're looking and feeling fabulous!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #10  

As you get close to your goal, its harder to maintain much of a calorie deficit unless you increase exercise. You need fewer calories to maintain your goal weight and as you get close to goal, you are closer and closer to that maintenance number. I'm struggling with the last 15 pounds, I haven't gained but it's taken me 4 months to lose 8 pounds.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #11  

Okay Robin..... even though you have not had to kick my rear end before..... I have seen a few others you have gotten ahold of. I appreciate your input and opinion so much.... b/c I know it is 100% honesty and you have been there.

So, I am going to plan, plan, plan...... and stick to my plan like glue.... NO MATTER WHAT! NO MATTER how hard, how good something smells, how good it looks.... NO MATTER! 7 days a week until I am done losing. ALL SEVEN days.... now weekends off.

Now as far as my exercise. I do a fitness bootcamp 4 or 5 days a week. If I am behind on my losing for the week, sometimes I do 2 boot camps. However in addition to the bootcamps I do at LEAST 5 miles a day on the treadmill. Most of it walking, but I do run intervals. I walk the dog and do housework (mopping floor on hands and knees, yardwork), on the weekends. Not a lot of exercise..... but not total couch potato either (I hardly EVER sit on the couch).

Thank you for your help (everyone).

Tammy
Old 03-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
So, I am going to plan, plan, plan...... and stick to my plan like glue.... NO MATTER WHAT! NO MATTER how hard, how good something smells, how good it looks.... NO MATTER! 7 days a week until I am done losing. ALL SEVEN days.... no weekends off.
Okay. So here in probably lies the issues as to why you've been having difficulty getting to goal - the weekends. Without a doubt going "off" even one day, yet alone 2, can and will definitely wipe out any deficit created the rest of the week. That consistency I spoke of - yeah - it includes the weekends. Plan those babies out just as much, if not more so. Plan them out - and then stick to it, like, you guessed it - glue. Call them Pre Monday and Pre Tuesday if you have to. . WHATEVER IT TAKES!!

Your exercise looks good! Though I'm not sure what bootcamp is? Does it involve strength training? Because if it doesn't - NOW would be the time to add it in. NOW. NOW. THIS NOW.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #13  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i totally relate to this post. my problem is totally the weekends. i've started zig-zagging calories & planning out my weekends to a tee. hopefully my plan works!
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #14  

I got it! I am going home tonight and I am planning, planning, planning.... even more than I have done in the past. In fact..... I am going to plan out the weekend too. I have not planned one weekend meal since I started losing weight. Thanks again for that kick in the pants.

Bootcamp is basically a few minutes of stretching, 15 minutes of HARD cardio (boxing, jumping jacks, jogging), then 15 minutes of strength training, then cool down. Normally after this, I run on the treadmill, that time depends on if we have patients at work or not. I am muscular (I believe I am in the best shape I have EVER been)...... it is clear and hard to swallow that the weekends are what has kept me from my goal. Truth is.... I should have been done losing by now. So.... to the grindstone I go.

Tammy
Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #15  

Okay, so I am thinking over the plans for foods and I have one more question......

I am doing WW (but not going to the meetings). I am counting points. I get 23 a day for the 170-179 pound range. Which is roughly 1150-1200 calories a day. However if you factor in the 35 extra weekly points, I could use 28 a day without going over.... which would roughly be 1500 calories. I need a little help here..... I have NEVER been this close to goal so that is why I am asking.

Should I allow myself 1500 calories a day (not counting any activity points, I never intentionally use them) and keep it at that 7 days a week. That seems to be the PART of the issue besides my lack of planning. On the weekend I save my flex points and then I end up going over.

I am just wanting to find something that maybe a little better for me in the long run than what I am doing now.

Thanks.