Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #1  

Height: 6-1.5

Default Fat now linked to pollution?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/215179

Do environmental pollutants create precursers to fat cells?
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 284/262/163 5

Height: 5'2,1/4

Why doesn't it surprise me.There have been so many changes in our food,in how we live.Those changes must have some effect on us.In the end I still will just have to keep on going, this weight has to come off.
mandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #3  

I only skimmed the first paragraph so don't shoot me here, but I think the reason why babies are fatter is because less women are breastfeed, and are overfeeding with the bottles. The increased production of fat cells in babies is from too much food. Not because of environmental pollutants.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I took your title the other way around! As in those of us who are fat are adding to pollution. I thought it would be about our potent gas or something.

Anyway...I think if we could all get back to nature, we'd be a lot better off in so, so, so many ways!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

The breastfeeding issue occured to me as well. What I didn't like about this article is that it really didn't go into what expectant mothers should do to avoid these chemicals. I guess just go organic and try to avoid soy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I took your title the other way around! As in those of us who are fat are adding to pollution.
I read it that way initially as well.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think that there are dozens (if not hundreds) of factors that contribute to obesity. Calorie intake and activity level are the most obvious (probably the most important in most cases too), and generally the easiest to change.

The problem is that whenever you discuss any of the other factors, people see it as a ridiculous attempt to excuse obesity. I think mostly, because there's a tendency to want one answer not 296.

I think it's an interesting but inconclusinve (in itself) finding has no practical immediate application. Because there are so many factors to obesity, "fixing" one won't ever fix all (or maybe any) cases of obesity - but it does add to the bigger picture that I think ultimately will result in better treatments for obesity.

It's just that I think that if you look at obesity as a puzzle, I'm pretty sure that environmental pollutants are one of the smaller (perhaps microscopic) pieces.

I think there's nothing wrong with studying the very small pieces, but I doubt they're going to provide any "breakthrough" treatments in obesity.

On the whole, mildy interesting, and another reason to avoid pollutants when possible, though also not the most significant one (if the effects of pollution on humans is also a puzzle, the obesity piece is just as small to that puzzle). I would think, for example that asthma would be a larger concern with pollutants than obesity.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-25-2010 at 04:49 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote