Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #1  

Default Just can't seem to lose it

OK.
This happened to me last summer.
I work out, eat in moderation/diet and i don't lose inches or pounds.
Last summer I worked out an hour to hour 1/2 a day and saw NO results.

Now I've cut down on working out, thinking I just was overdoing it. Now I do about 30 mins/cardio a day. But I keep hovering in the same 3 pound area. I eat a lot of brown rice, healthy choice meals...Spinach everyday.
I cut out the candy, pizza and white rice.

I'm thinking of a nutritionist or weight watchers. I'm having a hard time finding fruit for snacking that doesn't make me hungry. Apples make me hungry, I swear.

Also, any diet pills or SUPPLEMENTS that can aid??? I have a heart condition, so anything with caffeine or stimulants are OUT.
bsbfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #2  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Have you tried changing your routine while working out instead of the amount of time? I tried a few new machines at the gym and it helped me get out of my week-long stall. I also dropped some weights and worked on different body areas.

On top of that, I also started zig-zagging my calories, and dropped my lowest average down by 100 cals.

(if you haven't already) I would try those alternatives before spending extra money or diet pills that can cause potential side effects.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #3  

Well I'll be the first to give you the answer that others might give, might not be whay you want to hear.

At 159 your maintenance calories probably isn't super high, especially if you have lower metabolism. So it's not unlikely that you are simply eating a bit more than you think. It's pretty if your maintenance is say 1800, to eat 1500 or so on average each day and then have a few cheat meals/weekends here and there and wipe out the defecit. So I would rigorously calorie count everything for several weeks to make sure you really are ate a reasonable defecit.

I use caffeine in moderation and take Alli maybe once a week with a large meal. Other than that I'm pretty opposed to supplements. From what I've seen on these boards most of the "successful" people, i.e. those who have made goal or have been doing this for >6mo, would probably agree that looking at supplements isn't where you want to start to break your plateau.

Take a search through the forums for a bunch of threads on plateaus for additional tips. Good luck!
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #4  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I totally agree about apples, I thought I was the only one! Apples definitely make you hungier!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Yup, you can exercise all day. But if you're taking in too many calories (even healthy ones) you will not lose weight. Cutting out certain unhealthy food groups, cutting down on portions, watching yourself, eating much better in the past and adding in some exercise is just not enough to make a difference usually.

You've got to adhere to a calorie budget. COUNT those calories. Pick a number to start out with, perhaps 1500 calories. Stick to it like glue for a couple of weeks, journal everything you eat, plan out every meal and snack ahead of time and see the results and then you can tweak as necessary.

I wouldn't start with pills. Not when they won't work and what will work is safe, healthy, is doable forever and is free - learning to eat in a healthy manner - healthy foods in healthy portions.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
if your maintenance is say 1800, to eat 1500 or so on average each day and then have a few cheat meals/weekends here and there and wipe out the defecit. So I would rigorously calorie count everything for several weeks to make sure you really are ate a reasonable defecit.
I agree. I coasted for almost a year like this - not losing any weight but maintaining. Exercising HARD 4 times weekly, wondering why I wasn't losing any weight even with exercising so much.

It's all about the calorie counting and being strict with it....

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

bsbfan, how tall are you? how old are you? do you have a medium/large build?

I know from firsthand experience (and I'm even doing it right now) - losing weight when you are already 'slim' is really quite difficult.... in my opinion, it is a completely different story from losing 30 lbs. at 230 and losing 10 lbs at 150.

Your body fights and fights. I would guess, you either need to do something more drastic as far as your eating is concerned (for example, substitute half of the brown rice with broccoli) or, if you believe what you are currently doing will eventually work - then be super patient and be prepared that it can take a LONG time.

Really, what is most important, is that you feel healthy and fit and powerful.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #8  
South Beach P2

S/C/G: 168/160/120

Height: 5'2

[QUOTE=bsbfan95;3144535]
I'm having a hard time finding fruit for snacking that doesn't make me hungry. Apples make me hungry, I swear.
QUOTE]

Try eating a little protein with your fruit. For instance, have a part-skim moz cheese stick with your apple or a slice of turkey. Or cut it up and have it with some low fat cottage cheese. The protein will slow the absorption of the carbs in the apple and keep you feeling full longer. It prevents a blood sugar spike with it's subsequent crash and feeling of hunger.

You may be at a plateau right now. This has happened to me before. Keep the exercise, but try changing the routine a bit. You may need to add a couple hundred calories if your body is perceiving a starvation mode. Don't forget the water.
Releve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
You may be at a plateau right now. This has happened to me before. Keep the exercise, but try changing the routine a bit. You may need to add a couple hundred calories if your body is perceiving a starvation mode. Don't forget the water.
I strongly, strongly, STRONGLY disagree with this. It seems to me, that the only kind of plateau going on here is a self induced one. Which is okay. It means with a little fiddling around of calories and the such it can be busted through .

The poster is having trouble losing weight, it seems as if she's taking in MORE calories than her body needs, thus NOT creating that all important calorie deficit that is needed in order to lose weight. ADDING in even MORE calories I'm afraid would just make her ADD on the pounds. The exact opposite of what she's looking to accomplish...

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-10-2010 at 06:43 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 172/156/145

Height: 5'4"

For myself, I have to really cut carbs inorder to lose weight. Carbs, even the "healthy" ones like fruit make me really hungry. I think its a problem processing blood sugar. I really have to stick with mostly veggies as a source of carbs.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I also highly agree with rockinrobin and Sammyann's answer.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #12  
It's either Now or Now

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

How much brown rice are you eating?

It could be that you are assuming that because brown rice is healthier than white rice that is has lower calories. Not true. Rice is rice and is still quite high in calories. I recommend you measure/ weight your rice next time and put it into a counter and see how many calories you are consuming.

I'm guessing the problem's in the rice, esp since you said you eat "a lot of" brown rice. Try reducing the rice portion and adding in more vegetables (or squashes) instead and see how it goes.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #13  
Calorie Counter

I'll just add one more thing. Healthy choice meals are a good way to start out, but they are loaded with sodium. I found that once I hit the 140's even a little bit of extra sodium would make me bloat and retain water.

As far as workouts, try interval training. It really helped me lose inches! I went from a 12 to a 6/8 in just about 4 months.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote