Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Nearing Frusteration

I'm not giving up. I'm not throwing in the towel. And I'm trying really hard not to get worked up...

But it's hard!

This is my 5th week of dieting, and I've lost a whooping 2lbs in that time--and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go up a little between today and tomorrow, as that seems to be my pattern.

I lost the first pound within a week, so it's been 4 weeks and one pound. This last week I've had my period, and my weight plummeted down, and slowly crept back up to where I started...

To be honest, I haven't been exercising. I know, I know! Shame on me! But since school has started, I've been so tired after doing all my studies. (Gah, enough excuses. I'll work out after I post this!) And I've been eating an average of 1550 cal/day (and I've been keeping track strictly). However, I haven't necessarily been eating "good"; just... less. I really don't want to cut my calories further because I'd like some wiggle room (I have over 50lbs to lose, after all).

But maybe I have to lower my calorie intake? Or up my exercising. I'm 5'0", 21, female, and 156lbs--so my BMR is really low. My activity level is extremely low too... I spend much of the day laying down (even as I type right now). I'm so lazy

Please help. I'd love some advice.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #2  

i think youve kinda answered your own question hun.....youve not been exercising and youve been eatin less rather than good.....
my portion sizes used to be ridiculously big, and i used to eat a lot of processed crap. i started to change one thing at a time. so for example i swapped full fat coke for diet.... then i swapped diet for flavoured water. i exchanged processed stuff, for home made things, as you can see whats going into it and generally you can make a nice pasta bol thats got minimal fat and calories in it.

also exercise really is the key. i found exercisin labourious and hated it with a passion initially. then i started zumba classes. i love dancin and find this a fun hour rather than a gruellin exercise session. Even parkin your car a bit further away from work, or gettin off a bus stop before your usual one helps. I have a pedometer to count the steps i do. you are recommended to do 10,000 steps a day. it takes about 30 steps to burn off 1 calorie, so 10,000 burns off 30 calories, (if my maths doesnt fail me?) though this helps it generally isnt enough and extra exercise is needed.
little n often if you cant manage a big session. 30 mins split into 3 sessions throughout the day is just as effective as a 30 minute block. ive bought a skippin rope, not used it yet cos of the weather but when it gets a bit nicer ill go out and do ten minutes, come in, do some stuff round the house, go do 10 mins more etc etc. starting is the hardest part. now i love exercisin. dont get me wrong, some days i cant be bothered but i still try to do something.

ive been dieting and exercising for the past 4 months and have lost 2stone 11. admittedly ive had tablets from the doctor but you are meant to have a low fat diet with them, and if you can eat a low fat diet there really isnt much point in havin the tablets as they are fat blockers. so i think im gunna break free and do it on my own, as i know i can.

dont be disheartened by your weight loss, it might only be a couple of lb but look at it this way, least you havent gained right?

i want to lose another 3 stone 6. ive found a dress i really want - (ive not worn a dress for about 12 yrs and bought a different one the other day and i love it!) the dress i really want is a 31 inch waist, im a 38inch....so to motivate me ive put the picture of the dress on my phone so i see it every time i look at that, its on my desktop so i can see it every time i log the computer on, and ive got it printed off and stuck it to the fridge and the porch door so i see it there too.

hope some of this helps, if not, sorry for wafflin

good luck n keep us updated
xxfoofoolafluffxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/194/140

Height: 5'7

I agree that you've answered you're own question. I used to try working out on the treadmill and then doing weights but it was taking a long time to get results so I always stopped for a few months before going back to it. When I finally got serious I got Insanity from beachbody. It's crazy intense but I've lost five pounds this week! Try getting one of there workouts on dvd. They are generally about 45 minutes long and are much more fun than a treadmill! They have a lot to choose from too.
Selca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

I get your BMR at 1500 based on my spreadsheet. If you reduce your calories to 1200, you should lose weight. If you go below 1200 you'll likely stagnate and not lose weight. You say you've been eating 1550 a day but by my calculations, that's too high for you to lose without doing any exercise. You need to reduce and eat better.

You must have some activity you do that you enjoy. Is there anything that could get you excited even walking?

Last edited by Hades Handmaiden; 02-04-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

BMR is the amount of calories you burn just breathing! Your daily calorie burn should be a little higher, even if you're completely sedentary.

How are you tracking your calories? Do you use a tool like FitDay? Are you weighing and measuring what you eat, or just guessing? If you eat something like pizza, where do you look up the calories? Do you list absolutely everything you eat and drink?

Getting some regular activity would help. Don't think of it as "exercise." Go for a walk, go for a swim, go dancing--get some fitness DVDs--stuff like that! Do something fun for activity.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I think that you should try lowering your calories. If you haven't lost more than 2 pounds since starting it seems to me that you are in calorie equilibrium. Either start working out, or lower your calories.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I've heard it said that weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise and I have to pretty much agree. If I continue to eat chips, soda, and pizza every day as my calorie consumption, should I really expect to lose weight? Yeah I'm staying under calories, but they're all empty calories. My best suggestion is to focus more on what you're eating and maybe take the stairs instead of the elevator every day... or park far from your classes and walk to each one instead of driving.. A little exercise can go a long way - And better food choices can get you even farther. Besides, the goal here should be to lose the weight and keep it off... not lose it for the summer, gain in the fall, then lose it for the summer again. It's hard on your body to yoyo back and forth. Do yourself some good and get your food on track. I'm willing to bet once you've done that for a week or so, you'll feel more energetic and less lethargic. Best of luck, we're all here for support!
PS - You CAN do this! Don't convince yourself otherwise.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote