Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

Default Finally seeing!

This might become a long one, so beware.

Right, I started putting on weight about two years ago. During these two years I understood that I was gaining and gaining, because I did weigh myself monthly, I just didn't seem to be able or sincerely willing to do everything in my power to stop gaining. I guess I was just pitying myself and being in denial. I have understood the weight gain by having to wear bigger and bigger sizes, but still I didn't see that much of a change in the mirror.

Then the day when I saw my heaviest weight ever on the scale I didn't know what to do anymore, and so I joined 3FC for support and have managed to lose some, and I even took a before pic. The thing is I never really looked at the before pic except for on the tiny screen on the camera. And this morning for some reason I took several more photos and transferred them onto the computer so I could see them properly...

AND OH MY GOODNESS ME! NOW I SEE! I see what people have been telling me for more than a year but just thought they were exaggerating or something! I really didn't understand I was THAT big! I'm obviously someone whose body does not carry weight well at all. Seriously my shape is as gracious and curvy as a barrel and boy do I need to start wearing colours other than dark grey and black, it doesn't make me look thinner it makes me look like I'm about 10 years older than my age!

Having been shocked to the core I think I finally have got the kick in the rear I need to get more serious about sticking in my calorierange and not go over so often and also move more. I'm shocked, but happy that I realised to take those photos today, way better than next week or next month.
So if you're putting off taking that first photo, don't wait!
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

Congratulations on making the first couple steps. I look forward to seeing your progress. What method do you plan on following to lose those pesky pounds? We are all here to support you in your weight loss journey. I know you can do it.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 AM   #3  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I've already got several recent photos that could serve as a good "before," so there's no need to take one. I'll probably do some "durings" as well as an "after," but I don't think I need to make much of a conscious effort. Hubby loves to take my picture!
Quote:
Seriously my shape is as gracious and curvy as a barrel and boy do I need to start wearing colours other than dark grey and black, it doesn't make me look thinner it makes me look like I'm about 10 years older than my age!
Yes, that "black is slimming" myth is pretty far-reaching. I think it's more the cut of the clothes, and the way color is *placed* that determines whether it is flattering or not. Greens are my favorite color to wear; it accentuates my green eyes. There is also nothing wrong with wearing red, if it complements your skin tone.

Look good now. Feel good about yourself now. Don't wait until you've lost enough weight that you "qualify" to feel good about yourself. Everyone qualifies.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #4  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Congrats! It's so hard getting to that place where you finally 'understand.' You're so right about the before picture too. I was seriously camera-phobic for the last 10 years so I've had such a hard time finding before pictures. The few pics I did find were horrible but even so they weren't at my highest weight. Oh well...I'm taking progress pictures now and it is so motivating seeing the difference that even 10 lbs makes.

Keep up the great work!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #5  

170starting thank you! I caloriecount and try to focus on wholefoods, it's working, but very slowly because I haven't been strictly under 1600 like I should be. Also I think I need to start exercising a lot more.

Lovebirdsflying, yes you're right about looking good now! My dark baggy clothes wouldn't really suit anyone I think. Green is probably a good idea, I think I'll go to a second hand store and pick up some new clothes, then I won't have the excuse of not buying because of price!

Gracie789, thank you! Lots of good wishes to you on your journey from one ex-cameraphobic to another
Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanna Maria View Post
170starting thank you! I caloriecount and try to focus on wholefoods, it's working, but very slowly because I haven't been strictly under 1600 like I should be. Also I think I need to start exercising a lot more.
)
I find for me, the *easiest* way to adhere to my calorie budget is to plan out my foods, every crumb, dollop and morsel BEFORE hand. I do it in advance. This way there's no going over budget. Or it makes it less likely that I will. HAving it planned out & having the right foods on hand, is a huge help. No. Make that - it's ESSENTIAL. I do a little advanced planning and then I'm good to go for the rest of the day.

And about the exercise, pencil that in as well. Add it to your schedule and don't make it an option to not do it.

I look forward to hearing of you loving your new *after* pics.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #7  

Thank you RockinRobin! That's such great advice, I think what you said about "right foods" will echo in my mind when I go food shopping today, the hour it takes to walk to the shop (and the same back) will be my exercise

l'll keep on trucking and am hoping for much better after photos too