Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I think setting it "too high" is better than setting it too low... if you set one that's unrealistically low for you, you might end up never reaching it and feeling guilty and giving up... and gaining back a bunch of weight.

I think you should get to 170, and honestly assess whether you're happy. If you want to be smaller, you can lose more... and if you then find that being smaller is too hard to maintain, you can go back up to 170.

Don't put too much stock in other people's goals, weight is a very personal thing. I'm in a situation where I see a lot of goal weights at my height that are higher than mine, and I might even end up setting mine LOWER than it currently is. I just have a really small frame, and I don't carry ANY extra weight very well, it always lands in the most unattractive spots. But sometimes I feel like I'm being unrealistic, because I pay too much attention to other people's numbers.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #17  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

When I first joined I hadn't thought of a goal weight, honestly. I saw other people's and figured I should put something, besides I wanted a ticker! I chose 161 because for my height of 5'8", the top part of the healthy range is 164. I like even numbers so I aimed to lose exactly 60 pounds. Trust me, I've seen people on here with goals in the super low range at my same height - I KNOW I would never get there healthily... so I won't. BUT, with 11 pounds left to lose now I'm not happy with the way my body looks yet. I know a lot can change in these last 11lbs, but I'm considering lowering my goal weight. After asking a similar question on here, I've decided to wait until I reach my current goal and then re-evaluate. So, don't be afraid to lower it.. but if you're unsure, then there's nothing wrong with getting to that number you've set and thinking it over... are you happy with what you look and feel like? If so, stay there. If not, lose more or gain more to make you feel better. I think goal weights are very personal.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #18  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You can change it, or keep it, only you will know how you feel. With that said, I also struggled with this dilemma. I'd see people my height with much lower goals/actual weights than mine and I felt like I was selling myself short...like I didn't want to work that hard. In the process I found out a few things. First, MANY people don't change their "current weight" when they start to regain. I've actually been told by members that they leave it where it was, (before they started re-gaining) because they want a reminder of where they were. (And motivation) In my mind it is a little deceiving to the other members, but what-ever makes them happy I guess. Also, many people have really low goals and never make them...many quit posting so we never know what actually happens to them. Some reach them and then figure out they can't maintain such a low weight without eating little of nothing...and add back a few pounds, (and still don't change their stats!) So my point, (and what I have learned in the last year), don't go by anyone else, because you really don't know how accurate their stats/ticker is. Go by how wonderful you feel. BTW, my stats are accurate And I AWAYS change it if I change more than 3 pounds either way from natural weight fluctuation!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I'm all for starting with a higher goal and working down once you reach it. And do mini-goals in between! Psychologically and motivation-wise - seeing that you are acheiving and reaching goals encourages you to keep going.

I agree with others - you cannot base your goals on what you see on other peoples profiles. You have to know what's acheivable for you and know your own body. When I was 21, I was told my "ideal" weight was 120 but there was no way it was maintainable for me or reachable without starvation. The least I've ever weighed as an adult was 128.

I set my goal of 160 based on the fact that a weight of 153 to 160 was easily maintainable for me in the recent past. 154 is the max "healthy weight" on the weight charts for me, so I figure 160 will be "good enough" if I achieve it. And if I am able to REALLY make a lifestyle change and do some serious working out....well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

But my first mini goal is to lose 20 pounds - even if I can't lose a pound beyond that, I'll be healthier than I am today and my jeans will fit better.

Keep your goal where you set it, for now, and see what happens.
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

My first goal ever was to get to 199 and once I started getting closer to that number I realized it was possible. I decided to change my goal to 182 and I think if I start getting close to that then I'll change my goal to 164.

For me, my weight loss goals are all about me and no one else.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 255/See Tracker/135

There are several reasons I put mine so low:

- Though I'm 5'6", I have a petite frame. So I can accomodate less weight.
- I used a government 'ideal weight' calculator. It gave a range, and I picked right in the middle of it.

The thing is, I've never been anywhere near 135 in my life. I don't know if that truly is a good weight for me. I may get to 150 and feel that's where I want to stop.

Then again, I might hit 135 and realize I should be lower. I've chosen that number as a guide and not a rule. I'm totally flexible with it.

Though, I wonder sometimes about people who set their goal much higher than me. Are they scared of putting a lower weight because they don't think they will be able to achieve it? I bet the reason varies.
goldferris is offline   Reply With Quote