Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #1  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Question Frame Size And Ideal Weight

I know how to calculate my frame size. By all the standard tests, wrist size, elbow width, I have a large frame( 5'1",6.75 wrist, 3 inch elbow) so according to the weight charts I should weigh more than someone with a small or medium frame.

But why? Bones don't weigh that much and having them spaced more widely shouldn't, IMHO, account for the vast differences in ideal weights over the spectrum. Does a large frame mean that I can never ever hope to get to the weight I want to be, or that I could get there but would look horrible? Does it mean that I could weigh more but look thinner?

Could somebody please enlighten me?

Thanks
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Bones supposedly make up 12% to 15% of body weight, in an average-sized person. That range difference is only an approximation, and that's where frame comes in. Also, some people are naturally more muscular than others just based on genetics.

I think the implication of large frame size is that your body's ideal weight would be at the higher end of the weight range instead of in the middle or lower.

Since you don't mention your current weight or your target, the question of whether you'll be able to reach the target can't be answered.

If you're overweight or obese now, then I'd say don't worry about the outcome yet. Start losing weight--you'll see where it takes you as you go.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #3  

I have a large frame based on the standard measures, however I have narrow hips. So, who knows? What I *do* know is that when I was at my fittest -- 22yo, working out 6 days a week, and pretty poor so I wasn't eating much other than rice, beans, veggies, and chicken (when I could afford it) -- I never weighed less than 141lbs. Which is, coincidentally, the actual high weight in my range.

So we shall see. I'd like to be that weight again, but my body has changed a lot. I've had two kids and I'm 36yo. I'd be happy with 145... which is still, technically, overweight -- even for a large frame.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #4  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

The body frame charts are an o.k. reference but it really does vary by each person. I'm 5'6, so my 'ideal weight' could be anywhere from 120-159. According to the charts I have a medium (close to small) body frame, but from experience if I weigh less than 135 I look emaciated and unhealthy. I chose 135 as a goal because it's in the medium body frame, but I'm expecting to reach only the 140's (135 is more of a fantasy, lol). Like Jay said, it's not something you really need to worry about until you're near your goal, by then you'll know your body and whats appropriate despite what the charts say.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #5  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

I am Large framed as well, and i know from experonce once i get to 160lbs, if i yry to lose more my body holds onto the weight...right now im 199 and a size 11, so at a 160 im happy with my size

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

And remember, the # on the scale is known only to you. Nobody is going to walk up to you and go, "Oh, I see you're weighing 125 these days." They're going to notice your smaller, fitter body and your confidence. My goal is more of a clothing size than actually weighing a certain number. If I get out of the double digit sizes then I'm ecstatic!! I'm large framed and I'm relatively tall, so my goal weight seems like a heavy number, but it's going to put me in a size 8 or so.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #7  

To echo Sherrie's point: The only people who can ever guess my weight are personal trainers.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/125/115

Height: 5'1"

I've always been confused by the whole "frame" concept. According to my measurements, I could be a small or medium frame, but have never felt like a small frame. And with my height, that would put me at an ideal weight of 112 ... I have never weighed that low, and have an extremely hard time weighing less than 120-125 (although I am trying to get to 115). And knowing that I might go over my "ideal" weight reall freaks me out b/c I think I will look awkward. I'm not sure I completely agree with the idea of using you "frame" to measure deal weight.
tbrown1025 is offline   Reply With Quote