Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Pain is My Friend Right??? HA I'm not thinking that Have a Few Questions!!!

Ok for all of you who know, this week I started with my personal trainer. LOVE HER and she confirmed my way of eating is really good nutritionally anyway....She actually said I should up my calories just a little bit...I DON'T WANT to but we will see.

Couple questions:
NUTS???????????? Why in the heck is there FAT in them??? Good Grief....in a couple nuts I'm covering enough fat for an entire meal...I mean they are NUTS!!!!!!!!! Where is the fat issue coming from???????? I stopped eating them at all until I understand this issue

Working Out: I am so sore. Yes I know that your first few weeks when you are as out of shape as I am is going to be let's just say "not comfortable" but please, does the pain go away ever? Will I ever actually enjoy working out? Or everytime you start to get without pain you have to work yourself until your back to pain???? I don't know, I can't imagine waking up EVERY day for the rest of my life feeling this way..all because you have to constantly up the anti...
readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You have to understand there are bad fats and there are good fats. Nuts contain good fats. Besides, personally, I don't worry about fat at all (which does not mean I indulge in bad fats). Fat is not the enemy, carbs are.

Soreness - I am still quite sore after each of my weight lifting workouts, but I don't mind that all. Of course there is a difference between being so sore that you cannot lift your coffee mug (that's not good) and being what I call "pleasantly sore" because that tells me that I did a good job working out.
I read that eventually you won't be sore at all but that never happened to me. If I am not sore I wonder if I worked out hard enough. Also, it is different for individual people. I typically start hurting the next day and even more on day 2 post workout (of course, on day 2 I am already doing a different workout for different parts of my body). It's called delayed onset - and unfortunately, I have it big time.
Make sure you drink protein shake after each of your workouts to facilitate the healing process. Also, sleep is very important for recovery.
Hang in there, it will get easier, it just takes time.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #3  

The answer is probably different for you since you are working out with a trainer.

I have learned that I have to accept the reality of my personality in this journey. In my head I know that the best workouts are likely to break down your muscles to the point you are sore the next day. I understand that. However I also know that I struggle too much to return to the gym when I am really sore.

So I have come to accept that at least for now, it is overall better for me to not work out to the point that I am really sore, instead I shoot for longer and a bit lower intensity. Then I have an easier time of going to the gym every day and enjoy it SOOOO much more. My 60 minutes or whatever in the gym isn't quite as effective, but the overall benefits are better for me.

All that said, in your situation since you have a trainer for motivation obv just stick with that, but don't be afraid to talk with her about your concerns/etc.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Like T said- there is a difference between the good sore and the sore from not being able to move.

I fired my first trainer after ONE session because he pushed me so hard that halfway through I had to say STOP and the next few days when I went home my legs were so SWOLLEN on my upper thighs I couldn't even move! I couldn't even go to the bathroom and go from standing to sitting from the pain. THAT definitely wasn't a good sore! After that I got a better trainer and learned a lot from her- she even agreed that my first trainer shouldn't have done the extreme workout he did on the first day for someone who was new at training!

If you are in actual PAIN don't ignore it. I did until one day I couldn't walk on my foot and ended up having tendonitis Definitely make sure you are using GOOD exercise shoes!

Last edited by beerab; 01-08-2010 at 09:46 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Nuts~have good fat in them, but they are high in calories. Keep an eye on your portions of them.

Exercise~The first time I ran 5k (which took about 45 minutes) I couldn't walk for 2 days. I kept at it and now I am rarely sore after my workouts. The key to working out is finding something you enjoy and burning your calories that way. Should you be sore? Probably if you are new to working out or if you worked out a new muscle group, should you be so sore you cant move, probably not. You may need to increase the intensity of your workouts as you lose weight, but not to the point where you are constantly sore. Who wants that?
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #6  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

I am usually sore the day after my strength training workouts, and sometimes 2 days after if I push. But, like tomato, I like it because it tells me I worked. It's not pain that prevents me from doing anything, but I will bend or move a certain way(today I noticed it when I lengthened my stride -- must have worked my butt well this week). If you're sore to the point where it's debilitating, talk to your trainer.

Right now I am low-carbing, trying to break through a plateau, so nuts are my friend. If you are calorie-counting, they can be rough, but SO good for you. Try using just a tablesppon on your salads - makes it so much more satisfying.

Good luck!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #7  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

ICE is your friend in this situation - even if you can just sit in a bath of cold water it will help. Sounds weird but it does help. I found it got better with time but sometimes I take ibuprofen and that helps. if it is really, really bad I would talk to the trainer to see if she should back off a bit - one of the goals is to make exercise so that you like it and stick with it.
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #8  

I am still sore after a hard workout. If I do dead-lifts, forgettaboutit. I can't sit down for days.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

LOVE LOVE LOVE my trainer! First few weeks, so sore, muscles shaking, exhausted. But now after a month, I feel good. Still sore, but the good "you know you worked out hard" sore. My strength is up, my stamina is up, and my body is changing. I'm LIKING it a lot!! Keep at it! You'll be glad you did!
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote