Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

Default Away from Home and Routine

I'm hoping you will be able to give me some tips and advice.

After a bit of a blip in my weight loss efforts, I am successfully eating healthily again and getting plenty exercise. What helps is that I have made my home environment "safe" (i.e. free from any foods which have the potential to send me off the rails!) and I have a routine which is planned out based around my work and family commitments. I live alone so the dietary habits of others is not something which causes me any issues.

I am starting to get really worried though as for two weeks at the end of this month and then a further two weeks at the end of February, 2 colleagues and I are going to Belfast to carry out a project for another organisation. The three of us will be sharing an apartment.

I have searched for gyms in Belfast near to where we will be staying and intend to make use of them and I also want to continue buying and choosing the food I eat and cook this in the apartment. These intentions have met some derision from my colleagues who seem to have an expectation that we will be spending our time outwith work eating out and drinking.

I fear that peer pressure combined with a big change to my normal routine will combine to lead to disaster. It doesn't help that the work we will be doing will be intensive, exhausting and stressful. I want to plan some strategies now to ensure I don't let this change hamper my efforts.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Good for you to plan now! I have gone away twice since beginning my new lifestyle and with some planning, you will do fine. I was in rural Arkansas for two weeks over the summer and then Europe for 11 days last month.

One thing that was my friend is the GROCERY STORE--it took the place of eating out MOST of the time. With the help of our abundant earth and giving God I was able to find wonderful fruits, veggies and lean proteins in both locations. Also, if you have a place to walk or run you are in business with activity. If you have a laptop you can do online fitness videos too. I did old school pushups and crunches while I was in Europe too. You could even get the resistance bands or an exercise ball to blowup once you arrive.

I hope this helps. Yay for planning. I love the thought of you having your clean food environment. That is just so dog goned important IMO.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-04-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The fact that the work you're doing will be intensive, exhausting and stressful is exactly what makes your coworkers think that they are entitled to blow off steam by drinking hard & eating whatever they want in enormous quantities. They're of the mindset that this is what they deserve. (Paticularly if you're on an expense account of some sort -- in my experience, this is how people **stick it to** the companies they work with when those companies demand efforts deemed punishing & beyond the ordinary.)

Rest assured that you are making the wiser choice by trying to deal with your stress in a healthy way & not using food & drink as an escape valve or a way of settling accounts with your employer. You're doing things that will nourish your health & well-being far beyond your tenure in Belfast.

How are you at withstanding peer pressure & staying true to yourself? That's going to be the most important thing here. Think of us here in the forum as your true peers & not the people you work with.

Your colleagues may surprise you. Not everyone may be totally with the peer-pressure-enforced program of binge drinking & pigging out for that entire period. Some may be braver if you speak up & act differently. They may join you, eventually, or for part of the time. Partying after work all the time can get old.

If I were you, I would explore the neighborhood physically, to look for potential walking/running routes. See what the TV programs offer, or if you can bring your own DVDs & set a space aside for exercising. Look for like-minded people -- online at first, before you go there. There have to be people in Belfast who are interested in health & exercise. Find that community & where it shops & where it goes.

And don't forget about us. A lot of members here are surrounded by unsupportive communities or family & take refuge here.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Gosh that sounds tough. I mean do they really plan on eating EVERY meal out and drinking nightly? I think you have to stick to your guns here.

If I were in your shoes I'd just buy your own food and tell them that you aren't planning on eating out/drinking that often. When there just mark your stuff and ask them to not eat it, so they can go out and eat and drink and you can eat your healthy meals and go to the gym. I'd probably go out with them a night or two- but that's it really.

You also can go the biggest loser route- they managed to lose weight while eating out by ordering very specific meals, asking for no oil, and so on.

Good luck!

Last edited by beerab; 01-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

Thanks for that - it's very helpful.

I think I am going to have a chat with my colleagues and explain that eating out all the time is not feasible for me as I am committed to eating healthily but that I will go with them on occassion. I think the reality is that once we are there, they won't be able to sustain their plans to go for it every night anyway!

I am going to pack some exercise DVDs as back up but also like the idea of going walking, jogging or running around the city. It's a good way to explore my new surroundings!

I will also be logging in here regularly to help keep my commitment strong.

Thanks again.
MissVitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #6  

I travel a lot and this is a huge area of struggle with me. One observation I've made that I am not always great at sticking to but is important for me.

If I go out to eat immediately following work (as colleagues and I often want to after a long hard day) I eat a ton, feel bad, and am a comotose zombie until bed.

If I pop back to my hotel, get in a workout and THEN go to dinner I find that I eat a lot less, have more energy in the evenings and generally do tons better.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote