Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default What have you learned about yourself after all these yrs?

I've recently realized some things that I didn't know about myself all these years.

For instance, I didn't know before that I need to eat protein for breakfast or else it's a lot harder for me to maintain my sanity. I end up wanting to eat a whole lot more if I don't have my protein for breakfast.

I also learned that counting calories is the best way for me to control my binge eating. It allows me to know that even if I've had something that I would have normally thought "oh, I've blown it, so I might as well just eat a whole bunch more." But now, I know that well, maybe today will be one of those days when I just maintain, but I don't need to go completely over board.

I've learned that I never want to go back to my high weight again. Yes, that's quite obvious, but I realized why I tend to overeat. Something inside of my brain has "clicked" and I now know that I use food as a drug because it keeps me from having to deal with emotions. It numbs me, it comforts me and it tortures me when I'm succumbing to it's power. However, this knowledge has put me in the driver's seat and I am now in control.

So, what have you learned? It could be something funny, sad, practical, etc.... I'm just curious. THANKS!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Funny I've also learned that I need to eat protein in the morning- I just have to or later I'm ravenous!

I've learned that a lot of my eating was emotional and out of boredom so I took up a hobby where I occupy my hands EVERY NIGHT (crocheting). I get in at least an hour a day lol.

I've learned that I can't let the scale dictate my mood. If it goes up it's okay, there are so many different things that make our weight fluctuate daily. I now do weekly official weigh ins.

I've learned that I have to take care of myself and pay attention to myself, and that's it's not an easy thing to do BUT I have to do it. I don't want to miss out on life because of my weight/health issues anymore!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Height: 5'4"

I have learned I cannot eat anything out of a bag or directly out of a container.

I cannot eye ball portions either, so my food scale and cal counting are a must. FOREVER.
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #4  

I've learnt that I get to a point (at least every 2 weeks) where I want to throw in the towel and eat my own weight in biscuits. I need to be able to work through these moments and motivate myself to carry on.
Walkloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

DogMomNP, I definitely can't eyeball thing either and I cannot be trusted with a bag of anything...unless it is something that I have pre-portioned out for myself.

Walkloss, that is such a great realization! Just knowing your own tendencies and patterns is a HUGE accomplishment!

Beerab, I also have come to the realization that there's nothing I can do for others until I have taken care of myself. I've spent years running on empty and I refuse to do that anymore.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Ditto on the bag. I can only eat on the bag if I'm sitting there counting each morsel and stop when I reach the serving size. I find it MUCH easier on me just to count out one serving size BEFOREHAND and then eat it, though.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkloss View Post
I've learnt that I get to a point (at least every 2 weeks) where I want to throw in the towel and eat my own weight in biscuits.

Mmmmm, biscuits!

I learned that the power of suggestion is very strong.

I've also learned that I am very much an emotional eater. Concurrently, I've learned that this is a correctable behavior.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 12-30-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkloss View Post
I've learnt that I get to a point (at least every 2 weeks) where I want to throw in the towel and eat my own weight in biscuits. I need to be able to work through these moments and motivate myself to carry on.
When I did this I found overall I was eating too little- could that be your problem? I was eating like 1200 calories a day and after a week I'd go CRAZY.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #9  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

I've just learnt (from talking with my sister) that I can't have sugars like chocolate and cola. It puts me in a weird funk.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #10  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

I have learned that I'm lactose intolerant. Also, wheat hates me. Also, sugar needs to be carefully monitored.

Now, whether I've come to the point where I can accept these things is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Aside from taking lactase pills for the lactose intolerance, I'm constantly fighting myself to just accept my realities.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

Some other people have already mentioned this, but I have to say one of the most important things i've learned is that I can't eat carbs really at breakfast. Fruit is sometimes ok (but i almost always avoid it), but absolutely NOOO bread of any kind (even whole wheat). If I do, an hour later i'm ravenous for some more carbs. I've also noticed the lower carb i go I lose the most weight and just "feel" thinner, if that makes sense. Not so bloated, i guess. That being said, i still eat carbs: fruits, beans, and high starch veggies (potatoes, etc.) I feel i get the same benefits of a no-carb diet as long as I cut out bread and pasta. Also processed foods are a no go for me - again, i still eat them sometimes, but I feel much better and weigh less if I skip them (probably the sodium).

oh here's a little one: i've discovered a new found love for canellinni beans!! So many things to do with them, full of protein and they satisfy my cravings for bread! oh and they're cheap too!
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

oh and one more important one! if i want to feel and look my slimmest for an event (i swear my clothes fit better) I drink a ton of water the days leading up to and the day of the event...and i've also caught myself doing it the day before a weigh-in....shhhh...
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I've learned that I do very well eating single portion foods-- one apple, one cheese stick, one 4 oz container of cottage cheese-- as snacks.

I've learned that I DO NOT HAVE TO succumb to binge eating. I have the power to control myself.

I've learned that I really truly enjoy exercise and am stunned and bewildered that as a former athlete I had cut it out of my life altogether.

I've learned that I need to be outside a lot and it helps me to pop outside several times a day, even if only for a few minutes, and even if the weather stinks.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6"

I learned this year, after 15 years of trial and error, that my migraines are caused by dairy.

I learned not to keep tortillas or tortilla chips in the house, because I turn into a raving lunatic at the mere thought of them, and will eat the entire lot.

I've also learned that my happiness is not dependent on my waist size, I can be fat and happy, just not fat and happy and healthy. It's made losing this time easier because I'm not crash dieting, rather losing it slowly by making changes I can stick with for the rest of my life.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #15  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I found out that I have to be a strict, cold turkey kind of person. I can't have "cheat" days where I let myself eat a candy or drink a soda because i slowly start to backslide. If it's for a event...like a party, or holiday then it's okay. But I can't rationalize having a soda with my lunch or I'll want one with my lunch everyday. once I cut it off for about a week or two...it's easy to not think about it or even refuse it if someone offers me something bad. I don't even have a craving for it anymore.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote