Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Default No change in the mirror....

I'm just throwing this lifeline out there to anyone. I know I have a looooong way to go yet, but I'm really discouraged right now because the weight loss isn't apparent in the mirror. I'm down 36 lbs and I know my clothes are looser. I've been working out alot and have increased my endurance and stamina considerably. I don't feel like I'm sacrificing lean muscle. And yet I can't seem to tell a difference when I look in the mirror. I'm really depressed about the fact that I'm so fat that a 36 lb weight loss results in almost no visible difference. Does anyone else have this going on? I know it isn't rational but I have this fear that I'm always going to look the same no matter how much weight I lose.
ALH289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, absolutely. Absolutely agree with you. It takes a while before we wrap our minds around the new reality. There is no way I know to speed the process--if you took before photos, you could always do a comparison. I bet it WILL show in the photos. Stay your course. PLEASE stay your course. You are doing beautifully and I promise you--you WILL see the difference in the mirror one day--I absolutely KNOW you will.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This is brain physiology, and not anything to do with your actual progress.

Your brain "sees" based on recognition of common images (anything you see often, including yourself in the mirror). It says, "Oh, I recognize what this is" based on certain basic features, then fills in the rest of the image from memory. So if you've been looking at you in the mirror for a while at a bigger size, it takes a looong time for your brain to replace the old images with the new ones. You see yourself as bigger because your brain is filling in "You" with images of you bigger.

You can break this by looking at photographs, a lot of times, since the proportions are so different that your brain doesn't fill in the images the same way. So if you haven't taken any progress pics, start! It'll be much easier to see the image change if you do. Taking measurements will help you too, to recognize that you are smaller, even if your visual image doesn't match that.

Otherwise, it just takes time...a lot of time. But eventually your brain does catch up.

on your successes so far!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #4  

36 lb is fantastic! You probably don't see a change because you see yourself everyday. I'm sure if someone saw you that hadn't since the beginning of your weight lose they would notice.
Maybe take some pictures now so that in the next 36 lb you'll be able to compare and say 'wow, look at the change'!
asjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #5  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Another thing to think about....30 lbs makes a MUCH more visual difference on someone who is smaller then someone who is bigger...It wasn't until I had lost around 45 lbs that I started noticing any changes (other then clothes fitting a big looser)...

You'll get there...and the more you lose, the more quickly you'll be able to see the difference..

From my experience, at my high weight it took me like 30 lbs to drop 1 pants size, and now it's about every 15 lbs...As you get smaller, a pound makes a bigger difference.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #6  

I try to think of it differently because I've felt the same way before. So I think of it that I am losing weight evenly all over my body so to a degree I should expect it to look the same (in terms of general proportions). I know that losing 15 pounds at my weight is not going to suddenly make my abs pop out. But eventually I will get to the point where I will have gotten rid of most of the fat in certain places and then the transformation (to ourselves in the mirror - i think it's more easily apparent to others sooner) will be rapid once the fat has no where to hide. In certain places it might happen sooner (say the face/neck) and in others it might take longer (belly)

In the meantime appease yourself with the knowledge that your clothes are fitting looser, a tangible sign you are on the right track.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I can't thank you all enough. This forum has been such a huge help to me and this is a perfect example why. I needed to hear that I'm not crazy, that it will get better, and I just need to stick with it. You are all amazing...and kicking some weight loss a** I might add!

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm going to start taking measurements and pictures. I'm a results driven kind of gal. So that's definitely the way for me to go. I'm kind of having a "duh" moment right now for not thinking of that sooner. But that's exactly what you guys are so great about....throwing me that lifeline when I have those moments!

And I hope it doesn't freak you out mandalinn, but our starting points are so similar that I'll probably be looking at your goal story and progress pictures alot in the coming months.
ALH289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I didnt see changes in the mirror when I got fat either. My brain sees me as me. I did notice that everyone around me got thinner when I was gaining weight and got bigger when I was losing.

Also on that size thing...some of the reason it takes so long to change sizes at first is many of us aren't really wearing the proper size to begin with. I mean, I just regained 30 lbs. Now I had to give up on the 4's in my drawer some time ago, but I wore the 6's until it was painful even though it meant really bad muffin top and big sweaters to hide the belly popping over the top. I finally got my behind (heh) to the store and got some pants that actually fit comfortably and you can guess they were not size 8. But once you get used to being comfortable in your clothes you are less likely to fool yourself into wearing clothes that button if you exhale.

But if I had still HAD any 8's in my closet you can bet I would have squeezed into them and been uncomfortable but then lost weight and they would have become comfortable and then I would wonder why I had to lose 20 lbs to get back into the 6's when I had only made the transition from 6 to 8 5 lbs ago.

Now I just have to stop ignoring that my top half is bigger also...

Last edited by ennay; 12-21-2009 at 05:27 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Take a photo and compare- that is the best IMO.

Our brains are slow to see changes- I was at the airport the other day and finally noticed my legs HAD gotten slimmer- I've gone from an 18 to 16 and can put on a 14 pants (can't zip up) and I'm like OBVIOUSLY they have to have gotten slimmer- but I didn't notice it until I went to the airport and was walking by a window- go figure!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It took forever for me to be able to see the difference! Lately though, I notice the changes pretty fast. I think the more you lose, it will become a lot more obvious to you and to others. Congrats on the 36 pounds! Don't give up!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #11  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

When I look in the mirror I still see the same person even though I've lost 100 lbs (and gone down 5 sizes). At times I can pick out changes (my face is leaner, and my shoulders are much smaller) but for the most part, to me I look the same as I did when I was over 300lbs. I agree with ennay, I see me as me, large/small all looks the same to me.

I just started taking pictures of myself and comparing those with 'before' pictures and the difference is amazing. I'd highly suggest taking progress pictures. Even if you hate the pictures now, when you lose more weight those pictures will be a huge motivation and visual proof that you've lost weight.

Congrats on your loss & keep up the great work!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

another person who believes in phot comparisons! I think this is the best method to SEE it for yourself. It keeps me motivated when the scale isn't...too.

congrats on the 36 lbs! That is awesome!!!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I'm throwing another question in here ... I look slimmer in a full-length mirror than I do in the bathroom where I can see just about hipbones up? I suppose it's perspective or something???

And for ALH289 ... put on something you've purchased just lately. Clothing that fits makes a big difference.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

A little off topic here... But I once went to a 24-hour Fitness where the mirrors in the women's dressing room made you look slimmer. No kidding!

Also, if you are still wearing the same clothes as at your high weight, it's harder to see a difference--both for you and for others.

Keep on going... you will see the difference eventually!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #15  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I'm with you, I have lont 18lbs (not much) but I can't see much of a difference, although others are starting to!!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote