Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #1  
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

Default curious about weighing in

I'm just curious about how often everyone weighs in and why. The plan I'll be starting stresses not weighing in for the first 8 weeks. I'm not 100% sure I'll make it 8 weeks.

So how often do you weigh? Does weighing more motivate or discourage you?
thinnerbyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #2  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

every morning but only record Monday's weigh-in

I wanted to familiarize myself with my body's fluctuations and be used to stepping on the scale.
When I used to avoid weighing myself was when I was living in denial and I didn't want to know.... this time around I want to be honest with myself ....
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #3  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I only weigh once a week, if that. It works really well.

I honestly have never understood how people weigh every day. I know, I know, different strokes for different folks, but your weight fluctuates SO much throughout the day...if you eat something heavier than normal for dinner, it could make you "gain" three pounds?! It's just so...inaccurate to me.

I think weighing less is better because you're not focusing so much on that number and you're also seeing more work/results when you do weigh. I don't want to see day by day how long it takes to lose each ounce of a pound...I want to jump on the scale and see that I'm down a WHOLE pound from last week!

Just my opinion. Everyone is different and I know there are a lot of people who will say weigh every day and that might work best for you. Just don't get too caught up in that number!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I weigh every single day and sometimes at night. Ok, every night! I'm ashamed to admit it, but that totally works for me. When I weigh in, it helps me stay focused on my goal. When I weigh in at night, it helps me not to eat at night because I know that I'll be 2 lb.s less in the morning and if I continue eating, I'll be more. It's a crazy mind game and some might frown upon it, but that's why I think everyone is so different.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #5  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

We all have different 'weight loss styles/strategies' so you just need to figure out what works for you best. For me, when I first started my weight loss I did not weigh-in at all. I changed my lifestyle and tried to focus on getting healthy and not strictly losing weight. I went to nearly December without stepping on a scale and I was able to judge my weight loss by clothing size. For me it was rewarding to be able to see the changes in myself and not worry about numbers. When I did finally weigh myself I had lost nearly 100lbs and it was a huge motivation. I now weigh myself daily and it's both a blessing and a curse. It's great to see the numbers go down, and i can see the consequences of my choices on the scale almost immediately (high sodium foods are clearly the work of the devil!). But I'm a tad obsessed with the numbers, and it's easy to get a bit freaked out when it seems like I'm rapidly gaining/losing weight (again, no more high sodium, lol). I'm thinking about trying to shift to weekly weigh-ins so I can keep the focus on my healthy lifestyle and not so much on my weight. How much you weigh yourself really depends on you, your goals and what you find motivational/discouraging. Good luck!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl2Day View Post
This is what I do.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #7  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

well, I've done it every which way including loose (and more than once a day). I think for me, once a week, maybe twice is fine, otherwise I'm not focusing on the lifestyle change and sticking with my program, I'm over obsessing about the number.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'0"

I weigh every morning, first thing, before eating anything. It's encouraging to me to see every little .02 of a pound difference. And the numbers can fluctuate so easily...if I had a "bad" day or two, and it happened to be right before weigh in day, I might see no progress and get discouraged, if that's the only day I weighed that week. If I have one high number out of 7 days of lower ones, it's not such a big deal.
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/128.5/125

Height: 5'3'

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl2Day View Post

I wanted to familiarize myself with my body's fluctuations and be used to stepping on the scale.
When I used to avoid weighing myself was when I was living in denial and I didn't want to know.... this time around I want to be honest with myself ....
Same here. I tried not weighing in, and all that happened is that without really even realizing it, I gained over 25lbs in just a few years. When I found out how much I had gained, I knew that for at least a while, I need to stay aware of what's going, because I can no longer eat anything I want, w/no consequences, the way I once did.

I know that my weight can fluctuate by up to 3lbs or more some days, and that's ok, I don't freak out, since now I know that's normal and I just watch for trends. Once I am closer to my goal, I will stop weighing every day, and for maintanence, I will just check once a week probably.
littlemissbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am a calorie counter and I weigh almost every morning. 8-weeks? WOW! I could never wait that long.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThicknPretty View Post
I only weigh once a week, if that. It works really well.

I honestly have never understood how people weigh every day. I know, I know, different strokes for different folks, but your weight fluctuates SO much throughout the day...if you eat something heavier than normal for dinner, it could make you "gain" three pounds?! It's just so...inaccurate to me.
I think weighing less is better because you're not focusing so much on that number and you're also seeing more work/results when you do weigh. I don't want to see day by day how long it takes to lose each ounce of a pound...I want to jump on the scale and see that I'm down a WHOLE pound from last week!

Just my opinion. Everyone is different and I know there are a lot of people who will say weigh every day and that might work best for you. Just don't get too caught up in that number!
You are right everyone is different. I can honestly say though that once I started tracking my weight and journaling my foods I haven't had any unexpected gains.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #12  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I weigh every single morning after I go to the bathroom...I like to hold myself accountable for the things I eat that make me gain weight...I'm always aware if I'll have gained or lost...but when I step on that scale and I see the number staring me in the face...thats when I really FEEL what bad choices do to me.

I just find it easier to stay on track if I weigh every day. It's more motivation for me to stay on plan, because no one wants to see a gain...
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #13  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Since I journal and keep track of what I eat, I've never had a sudden gain that came out of nowhere. I've only started doing this however early October (so in my 12th week as of now)

I understand daily fluctuations which is why I weigh myself in the morning to be "okay" with weighing myself and not dreading the scale like I used to. Whatever the #, I'm basically trying not to dread the scale and integrate it into my journey. The scale is becoming a tool rather than the devil
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Personally what works for me is weighing every morning after I go to the bathroom. It keeps me on track during the day But with this method I did have to learn to not stress so much over the numbers, because your weight can fluctuate a LOT for lots of different reasons..
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I weigh every morning, first thing, before eating anything. It's encouraging to me to see every little .02 of a pound difference. And the numbers can fluctuate so easily...if I had a "bad" day or two, and it happened to be right before weigh in day, I might see no progress and get discouraged, if that's the only day I weighed that week. If I have one high number out of 7 days of lower ones, it's not such a big deal.
^ This.

If I weigh once a week, I end up obsessing about whether I think I weighed on a "good day" (and therefore next week will be a disappointment) or it was a "bad day" (in which case I'm being needlessly disappointed this week). Also, the more data points I have, the easier it is to make nice smooth graphs of what's happening with my weight. (Although I stopped doing it myself and use www.physicsdiet.com now.)
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote