Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Unhappy I dont know if I should laugh or cry... out of the mouths of babes

I dont know whether to laugh or cry so I did both! I was sitting here sending an invoice for something on ebay. Sesame Street is on in the other room so no a commercial. DS was standing her beside me and he says " How much you weigh" I said what he repeats himself then says " You go on Big Loser and lose weight?" My goodness he is 2.5 years old. NOTHING has been mentioned about weight today its just me and him here and Ive not said anything about weight...
What on earth made him come up with that I do NOT know.
TBL was on LAST week but it has not been mentioned in our house since. I dont ever say I want to go on TBL. I guess he just saw those people as overweight and sees his mommy looking like them.
I want to laugh and cry I want to go run a million miles to change And binge on comfort food all at the same time.
Yesterday on my blog I asked whats it gonna take for me to truly commit to change...I think I just found out!
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Yesterday on my blog I asked whats it gonna take for me to truly commit to change...I think I just found out!
Yes, perhaps this will do it. If you have been trying to tell yourself that no one is noticing, you now have proof that that's not true.

But beyond that aspect--I'm sure you would like to be better able to get around, better able to travel, better able to play with your son, and have a better chance of being around to see him grow up.

I hope this is your wake-up call, and that you find a solid, sensible program that will help you lose!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Thanks Jay!
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Wow, you got to love the bluntness of kids. I used to tell my son all the time that if you eat too much and don't do enough..you will get fat.

so he went up the window of where a pretty hefty police officer was sitting eating hot dogs at a convenience store.he knocked on the window..and said "hey don't eat that, you are going to get fat"

Of course I was mortified.

I would think of that as a "sign". Your son is learning from TBL. He is learning about weight and weight loss. He only equated your size with the people on Biggest Loser. How much he understands about weight and health I am not sure, but he sure is smart!!!

Hugs to you. I hope you feel motivated!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

Something else to remember about our kids of all ages -- they see what we're doing even if we think they don't. He may very well be picking up on things you've said in the recent past when you thought he was playing and not listening. Like, "OMG! These pants make me look huge." or "No dessert for me tonight. I've got to try to lose a few pounds." Then, he gets the message that you must be fat, because he just heard you say it.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, though. Kids aren't trying to hurt, they're just speaking the truth as they see it. It's a good thing to remember and use as motivation, IMO.
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

ah children, gotta love 'em! Kids can tend to be brutally honest (which I actually like!). I remember sitting down at my bf's house and his little cousin sat on my lap and whispered in my ear..."Um your tummy looks pregnant like that". Lol, she's right! It did! But she was trying to be nice about it and whisper it in my ear at least! I laughed but it did make feel a little crappy, but hey, just proof that I need to change! My bf would never say my tummy looks preggo!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Outta the mouths of babes, eh?

I am so sorry you felt bad about what he said. I would take it and use it as motivation. My kids don't realize that I am fat yet, at least ds (3.5) has never mentioned anything. But I really want to lose weight before he ever does.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

omg, vixxi, at least she was being polite! That's too funny.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatS View Post
Something else to remember about our kids of all ages -- they see what we're doing even if we think they don't. He may very well be picking up on things you've said in the recent past when you thought he was playing and not listening. Like, "OMG! These pants make me look huge." or "No dessert for me tonight. I've got to try to lose a few pounds." Then, he gets the message that you must be fat, because he just heard you say it.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, though. Kids aren't trying to hurt, they're just speaking the truth as they see it. It's a good thing to remember and use as motivation, IMO.
that's what I thought too.

hey, according to statistics a big chunk of this country (the USA) could go on TBL and drop some serious pounds (including myself!). I wouldn't object to having Curtis Stone come to my house to show me how to cook...but I'd probably suck at winning challenges.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMatS View Post
I think this is so important, to not talk to ourselves in ways we don't want our children to talk to people. Is everybody else really so much more deserving than we are?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5"4

I understand how you feel..My 4 year old daughter went away for about a month. When she came back home she said " Mommy who made you soo fat"? I could not answer her. I felt awful. My daughter left my care for a month and came back to see that I had gained weight. Everytime I feel like giving up I think about what my daughter said and it motivates me to be a healthier oerson for both her and I.
kaylasmom010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #12  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

My dd8 told me I need to go on The Biggest Loser the other day too. I told her she would have to live with out me for 3 months and she changed her mind. hehe
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #13  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

one time when i was at about 285 i decided to dive off the high dive to see if i could still do it...when i got to the top of the ladder i heard a kid say "oh my god"..he wasnt trying to be rude and im sure i was a sight....i started laughing to myself....i told everyone that story
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #14  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

lol you gotta love kids. they are the only ones who can say it and get away with it. my friend works for a preschool and told me that a little girl ran up to her and put her hand on her tummy and said mz ashley do you have a baby in your tummy. she was s shocked. she kinda does look pregent because she holds her weight in her tummy. she later said that the girls mom is expecting another kid and that why she thought mzashley was gonna have one too.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

I have a cousin who everytime I see him he says wow you got fatter. Ok UM SERIOUSLY! I wouldn't mind if he was y'know younger, but he is 13 and has been since he was 8 or so. Every time I explain to him it's not ok and now I use that as motivation, but seriously my aunt has taught him some horrible manners. She is of course an aerobics instructor and super fit.
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote