Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 09:04 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs down The 21 Day Challenge #7: Making Healthy Habits

The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! ) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:22 AM   #2  
Is it Friday yet?

Good morning your Royal Blockettes!

Down a whoppin' 2.5 this week - so I'm only 3 pounds from my lowest, before my "Oh my God, it's a fire!" freak out binge. Not too bad...

My 21 day challenge this week will be this:
When I wake up in the morning, I will go to the fridge and take out my recycled Aquafina bottle (that I saved and refilled) which holds 20 oz of water. I will consume said water while I get ready for work in the morning.

It is doneth, I have statedeth my intentioneths...

That being said, I'm also going to state my goal:

I have rescheduled my vacation and will be joining my 2 girlfriends and their husbands on a houseboat in Shasta in about 10 weeks. My goal is to be in the 2'teens by then (needing to loose 16.5 pounds to get there). I plan on accomplishing said goal by drinking my water, getting SOME kind of movement in daily and following my prescribed menu.

Long term goal:

I have learned that I will be visiting my L.A. clients next spring and meeting one particular customer service rep who has, I believe, "taken" to me. He's been asking my brother (one of our mechanics) when I'm coming down to visit and he's been calling as of late, just to chat and the calls have been getting more and MORE personal and very sweet (he called Friday just to see how my day was). As much as I know he already knows what I look like, I don't want to be looking like this when we meet for the first time face to face. So, between now, and April/May 2003 I would like to be down about 70 pounds.... putting me in the 160's . That would be 70 pounds in 8 months - I know that's a lot, I'm extremely flexable on what I'll consider success, but I want to have a number to work on.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!

Terri
Old 08-05-2002, 11:26 AM   #3  
Hot Stuff

Default I'm back (again)

First of all... YAY EYDIE!!!! Just read the old thread, and I'm so happy your test results showed no cancer! Better safe than sorry....it's a good thing you had the care you did and got the tests done, even if it turned out to be a mistake.

Queen Amarantha, glad to have your royal self back on the block!

I think we're almost settled here. A few things to do around the apartment to get it just the way I want, but it's looking like home (finally!)

My ghost, it turns out, prefers the radio. Remember I was leaving the tv on last Monday to see if would still be on when I came home? It was, but the stereo in the bedroom was turned on to the radio, hissing static. I asked the landlady about the woman who died here and it turns out she listened to classical music all day and only watched tv in the evenings, and only a select few shows like the news, Jeopardy, Law & Order, etc. So I've been leaving the radio on a classical station in the bedroom when we are out, and all has been quiet. I have seen a few movements from the corner of my eye, but no proof that it is her.

After being totally off program for two weeks, I weighed in last Thursday and was up 0.2lbs. I'll take THAT! After all the fast food we consumed, I guess hauling boxes and being on my feet until my ankles throbbed every night did some good! I'm struggling to get back OP, but have started my journal this morning, and I am committing to to an OP day. Wednesday is my birthday so I'm having cake AFTER my weigh in.

Need a water refill already. Hope everyone is doing well and I'll be back later this evening to report on my day.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:42 PM   #4  
Hot Stuff

YAHOOOOO!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. I had a YAHOO moment this morning when I was getting dressed and realized how baggy my jeans were starting to look. Suddenly obsessed, I dug through the closet to find the old pair of jeans I knew were in there somewhere. Found them, and lo and behold...they slipped easily up over my hips and zippered without any problem! They are an old pair of Manager jeans, waist size 32. I've had them on all day and they're really comfortable, even after eating dinner! I don't know how I'm doing this given my diet the last few weeks, but I don't care! Of course, I'll probably weigh in on Wednesday and show a gain.

Today was a Civic Holiday here, so was able to sort out an area rug dilemna I was having. I purchased a silk rug in soft shades of moss green, black, beige, coral..very luxurious and very pretty...for my living area. (Spent a small fortune, but hey...my birthday is this week, always a good excuse!) But as I laid it on the floor, I realized that inevitably my darling furballs would spew vomit on it and leave me terribly upset. So I am returning it *sob* and went out today and purchased a solid moss green area rug. It is a remnant from the carpet store that is bound on all edges and quite thick...the kind that squishes between your bare toes...and it was only $62.50. I'll just have to find something else to squander my small fortune on. I'm sure I'll come up with something . Like that console table and mirror for my front hallway...

I'm on program with points to spare, even after indulging in some ice cream for dessert tonight. Feels good to be back in control, think I'll do it again tomorrow.

So where is everyone?

Queens Punkin and Amarantha, congrats on your weight losses!
Old 08-05-2002, 07:07 PM   #5  

Smile Monday Night

Hello all!!

Monday again was bad but not as bad as last-- I think I am beginning to see the rhythm of the workflow and the bad news is that Monday's are NUTS. BUT-- Pria Bars saved me again at lunch, which I broke my own rule and worked thru but it just had to be done. The computer was down nearly all morning , what else could I do? 2 people are out on vacation, another called out, the boss had to leave at 1--

but I did ride the bike this am, did drink lots of water before it got soooooo wild, so, I can't be upset.

We're expecting a big storm tonight to bring an end to a 9 day heat wave which we are not used to here in Delaware.

Found a yummy Vidalia mustard dressing that is so tasty its worth the 70 calories for 2 tbsp. which personally, I don't think you need that much as the flavor is so rich. We also found dehydrated Shitaki mushrooms which I enjoyed too. - The mustard dressing is by a company called (here's the amusing part) "Bland" . Complete opposite.

Also found a "berry tofu" by Pete's Tofu a company based in Canada. We tried it with fresh berries and we enjoyed it.

Glad to hear everyone is getting along -- I think I see another loss but will know better in a few days- I know for sure, some of
lingierie is much more comfortable than it was. I doubt anyone else notices but it sure beats finding a private space to "readjust". I tell you, if men had to wear bras, you wouldnt be able to find an uncomfortable one!!

Be careful out there !!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #6  
Is it Friday yet?

'ello lovlies!

The back feels a bit better - I drugged myself with a whole Tylenol PM and slept with my leg(s) over a pillow. I plan on doing the same tonight and taking a hot bath when I get home, maybe tomarrow I'll be back to "normal".

I DID get up and drink my water this morning. Not all of it, but I did drink some and not snack on anything... Aaaah success!

Kaylets - I agree. Bras are the worst - *however* I was finally able to take out my little extender that I've been wearing for the last couple years!!! So, they do fit a bit better, but still the first thing that comes off when I get home!

Wildfire - Congrats on those baggy jeans!!!!

Emp. Amarantha - Congrats on the loss!

Odd non-scale victory(?) - I was a massage therapist for years and developed these wonderful, thick, corded looking veins in my wrists and lower arms from all the work. I've been noticing that they're becoming apparent again - which could only mean that my body fat is decreasing... YaHOOooo For some reason I love the look of them - they make me look strong....

S'all for now - back to my key lime yogurt,

Terri
Old 08-06-2002, 01:17 PM   #7  
deleted2

Hi! I completed a 21-day block and am ready to try for another, hopefully stress-free this time! Yesterday I made my first attempt to walk on the treadmill in almost a month--went for 2 miles and today I'm going for 3. My ankle's still a little stiff but I'm rotating it and tracing the alphabet in the air with it. It'll be good as new before I know it. It's still a tiny bit swollen but I only had surgery less than 3 weeks ago so that's normal, right? Does anybody know?

Punkinseed, I know what you mean about those arms. I have a friend who has sheep and twice a year she has this woman come to shear and she has the most beautiful strong-looking forearms. Must be quite a workout pushing those sheep around!

I've been meaning to ask, what's happened to our Indigogirl?

Old 08-07-2002, 08:34 AM   #8  

Default Happy Humpday, Blockettes!

Good Wednesday morning, everyone! So glad to see good news on the block, Wildfire, way to go on baggy jeans! Punkin, take care of that pain in your back, and the rest of you too ! I'm back at work this week which is why I've been AWOL from you guys. Missed you, too. It's good to be back doing something productive, I guess, though I really enjoyed my summer with the kiddos.

Amarantha I'll take your 5 lb. challenge, though I'm not going to put a time table to it. I'll do a happy dance just to get through 5 lbs.!

Take care all, keep on keepin' on,
upandaway
Old 08-07-2002, 10:09 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

"Amarantha I'll take your 5 lb. challenge, though I'm not going to put a time table to it. I'll do a happy dance just to get through 5 lbs.!" ~ Upandaway

Thankee, Q. Upandaway for taking the FIVE POUND CHALLENGE. Hope it's okay but I'm going to copy and paste the your quote on the FIVE POUND CHALLENGE THREAD and your name on the list I've started there. I'm going to post there daily and keep updating the list. I'm finding it an extremely motivating and focusing activity to have that challenge going!

Happy dance to all!!! :
Old 08-07-2002, 10:13 AM   #10  
Is it Friday yet?

Finally Wednesday.... it's all downhill from here.
I get my Maia spayed on Friday and I plan on being a bum all weekend - trying to still get my back to agree with me. I may try a short walk after work to see if that helps. Perhaps a trip to the Royal Spa would work better?? Don't we have a masseus?

Emp. Amarantha - I'll take your 5 pound challenge! I shall post there thusly (is that a word?)
Personally, I want you to post here, there, anywhere... just because you're not following a 21 day challenge doesn't mean you're not welcome. To be honest, I'm having a heck of a time with 21 days too. Perhaps the 5 pound idea will work better - something to keep my eyes on a goal! We're all here to support each other regardless of the means by which we reach our goals...

Eydie - I think swelling a few weeks after surgery is normal, but you might want to check with your dr. soon if it doesn't go away. When I was looking into my tummy tuck they said swelling could last 6 mos.-1 year, but I don't know if an ankle's different.

Upandaway - Welcome back to the working world!

The fires are pretty much out or completely under control locally. I did have to call the fire dept. last week when I saw a column of smoke here on the ranch - they said they'd investigate and within an hour the smoke was gone (love our volunteer dept!). I'm still happy I postponed my vacation though - things are still iffy - hot and dry... besides, now I get to spend part of my vacation in October on a houseboat!!!

Later gators,
Terri
Old 08-07-2002, 07:33 PM   #11  
Hot Stuff

To be quite honest, I have no idea what day I might be on. I've been on again/off again so much the last few weeks, I've lost count! I'm just going to start counting again tomorrow, because I've planned on having birthday cake tonight all week.
BUT, I weighed in tonight and I've lost another 1.4lbs. *YIPPEEE*

Eydie, glad to hear the ankle is healing. Yes, I'd expect a little bit of swelling even after three weeks. After all, you've been walking on it all this time which probably affects the healing process.

Pssst...my darling hubby bought me this gorgeous 14k white gold, diamond and sapphire ring...isn't it lovely with its square setting and filigree accents?

Sorry to post and run, but I'm HUNGRY! Lunch was 7.5 hours ago!
Old 08-07-2002, 09:04 PM   #12  

Smile Wed pm

hello all !

sorry to be brief but I just manage to burn 3 fingertips trying to figure out what was wrong w/the dishwasher-

hang in there everyone-- !!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:06 AM   #13  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Talking Happy Belated Birthday, Wildfire!

Wildfire, Most Regal Queen of Cape Breton -- Hope you had a fabulous birthday! Sounds like you were royally gifted, as is only fitting.

Eydie, I am so happy that your crisis ended with such a perfect resolution. This is kind of ridiculous, but I've been envying you I feel like I need something to shake me to my core and help me rededicate myself to living life well. Maybe there's some way I can try to get myself to that point without the threat of death?

Things are a bit crazy here. MIL is visiting and I feel like I'm trying to get organized on about a half-dozen fronts. Also -- driving a couple of hours to see Bob Dylan tonight

My challenge today (hmm.. don't have to change that "Day 1" in my signature) is to drink the water, only eat when hungry and only at the table when alone. I'm going to try to keep my intake reasonable, but probably won't count points. Already got in a walk and 2 circuits at the gym.

I'm marshalling my forces to get it together? Yup, I think that about says it for me. I will return. Love to all!
Old 08-08-2002, 11:03 AM   #14  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Friday-eve!

Wildfire - Congrats on the loss! Yes, your ring is gooooorgeous! I had the center stone taken out of my engagement ring (that *I* bought btw) - white gold with 2 trillions on each side of the center round diamond and was going to have a saphire put in it. Man, those saphires are 'spensive!!!!! I ended up with a grape garnet, still pretty, but I envy your saphire!

Kaylets - take care of those fingers! Got any aloe???

Babette - HI! I hope you survive the MIL visit and ENJOY Bob! Amazing how someone that looks like him could turn out a son that's such a hottie!

Ok, should do some work today....

Don't know what day - sometimes just one day at a time is a challenge! So far so good today though!

Terri
Old 08-08-2002, 02:36 PM   #15  
deleted2

Happy birthday, Wildfire! The ring sounds lovely indeed!

Babette, I certainly don't recommend what it took for me to change, but I've got to tell you, I'm loving the new improved me! I absolutely know how Scrooge felt on Christmas morning, still catch myself smiling for no reason! I really want to hold onto this feeling and I know that it's totally up to me. Don't be too envious---I wouldn't wish the excruciating parts of this journey on anyone. It chagrins me a little when people here have commented on how well I moved thru all this---maybe I didn't mention those 3 major meltdowns I had? Best thing to come out of all this is I've become an avid meditator!

Didn't do too well food-wise today. I had to cook for a gathering of teachers and 15 were supposed to show up and only 4 made it. What to do with all that extra food? Old habits die hard.....!

Closed Thread