Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I have to wonder why you don't want people to know. Is it really because you will think they thought you needed to lose weight, or is it because you don't want people to know in case you fail? I have been in your shoes before, and I do know what you are going through, but looking back, the times I tried to keep it secret were the times I didn't have total confidence in myself.
Boy, I so agree with this! How many times have I started a weight-loss program and did my dead-level best to keep it a secret? I rarely got past the fourth day.

I told myself that I didn't want to say anything because I was afraid I'd be getting all this unsolicited advice and I was trying to avoid that. But the unvarnished truth is that deep-down I knew that I really wasn't ready to commit.

This time was completely different. I've told everyone - even post my updates on my Facebook page. Not to brag, but to keep myself accountable.

So Lori Bell, you make excellent points (as always).
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyyellowfeet View Post
See, I can say this to perfect strangers or those who I'm not overly fond of. I am also fond of "enough" and "more than 1 and less than a million", with a pointed glare.

With people I am super close with, including my SO and my mother, I feel like I cannot lie...because I don't like to these types of people in general. And while I know they won't judge me, I also made it a point to avoid numbers for a while. Perhaps one day, I'll get to a point where I can just confidently number-drop
Oh my, I wasn't suggesting any lying, to anybody. That was the point. To say nothing either way!

Although I agree, with family I'd be more likely to say a bit more, like maybe, "You know, the numbers drive me crazy. I'm trying to avoid them." No lying, no embarrassing numbers.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post

I got two such comments two weeks ago. One from an older lady I work with in the same department. She noticed that my clothes were baggy (I'm between sizes..still too big for the next size down.) and she just said.
"You're losin' some weight darlin' "
Which made me feel great and proud and I just said.. "Yeah almost 20 pounds"
"Well good for you."
You know, I think sometimes it's because some people can give a compliment on your weight loss without making it sound like it's the most important thing about you, or sounding all shocked and amazed.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #34  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

If you're like me and have a hard time graciously accepting a compliment I would recommend a simple "Thank you." It is the easiest response and you don't have to go into details.

Personally, I haven't really had anyone notice yet. My chiropractor noticed when I was down about 35 pounds... but none of my coworkers who I see everyday have noticed yet. I can't blame them... when I look in the mirror I feel like I look the same. Maybe it's not noticeable enough yet?
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
Personally, I haven't really had anyone notice yet. My chiropractor noticed when I was down about 35 pounds... but none of my coworkers who I see everyday have noticed yet. I can't blame them... when I look in the mirror I feel like I look the same. Maybe it's not noticeable enough yet?
If they see you every day they're not seeing the dramatic change that someone you haven't seen in a while will. They're seeing it incrementally so it's much more difficult to notice. It's somewhat like watching your children grow...you don't see the subtle changes, but when you have them with friends or relatives who haven't seen them in a long time, you'll always get "They're getting so BIG!"

Same thing.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #36  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
If they see you every day they're not seeing the dramatic change that someone you haven't seen in a while will. They're seeing it incrementally so it's much more difficult to notice. It's somewhat like watching your children grow...you don't see the subtle changes, but when you have them with friends or relatives who haven't seen them in a long time, you'll always get "They're getting so BIG!"

Same thing.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I guess I've never thought to compare it to watching a child grow but that totally makes sense.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #37  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMaven View Post
It's somewhat like watching your children grow...you don't see the subtle changes, but when you have them with friends or relatives who haven't seen them in a long time, you'll always get "They're getting so BIG!"

Same thing.
But opposite!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Well, I flaunt it, and talk about it with everyone!!! I think at first I felt like I needed to announce how many pounds I'd lost because otherwise I was afraid people wouldn't take me seriously-- after all, in the past I always gave the illusion that I was trying to eat healthy, and that didn't deter from eating junk whenever it was offered (as if THAT isn't a contradiction in terms.)

Now, I've noticed that not everyone says something every time they see me. Some people are getting used to the slimmer me and I think the fatter me is already starting to fade from people's minds eye.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #39  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

No, sadly not yet. I've lost almost 15lbs, i'm so waiting...it will feel so good to hear someone ask me that!! Cuz honestly myself, I dont feel any different at all!
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #40  

I have a couple of catty female family members (who are overweight/obese themselves) who act like they haven't noticed that I've lost weight, but the rest of my family, my friends and even strangers have noticed. It's not a huge amount of weight loss yet, I'm still considered to be fat, but I'm lucky and am losing in all the right places, so I'm becoming much more shapely.
arumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

OK ... I'm going to admit something ... if it's someone that I do not care for ... I have (and probably will again) grabbed them by the upper arms and started hopping up and down. "Yes, I have and I'm sooo excited!" They don't generally, hang around and ask for details.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #42  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
OK ... I'm going to admit something ... if it's someone that I do not care for ... I have (and probably will again) grabbed them by the upper arms and started hopping up and down. "Yes, I have and I'm sooo excited!" They don't generally, hang around and ask for details.
That is awesome
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote