Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 02:31 PM   #1  

Angry Steel Magnolias -- #182

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's another hot and humid day in my little corner of the world. I went to a funeral this morning and now I need to get busy.

Brenda -- GOOD LUCK at WI tonight! Weekends are hard for me too -- especially when we are on the go or have the kids coming home. Do you have any vacation plans? It's nice to have a break from the work routine.

Have a nice afternoon! I'll talk to you later!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-30-2002, 02:48 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

A beautiful day this is - don't even have the fan whirling yet and it is almost noon o'clock. It is an 18 point day with me and I have consumed 2.5 of them so far and have a lunch and dinner to get through. Today I believe Cowboy is going to do some grilling and that will be what I will form my menu for the week around.

BRENDA I do hope the Iron Monster is kind to you this evening. What ever be tide take it all in stride and push ever onward down this road to thin. Going to the trailer at the beach?

JEAN you do more marrin' and burrian' than anyone I know. Hope you have a lovely OP day out there. I may pop in on you come next spring. As the time gets closer when we go to Iowa to visit Cowboy's mother I will let you know. Thank you for starting a freah thread for us.

Have a great OP day ya'll.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:43 AM   #3  
On my way to thin!

Good Morning,

Well that scale was not very nice, but I guess I deserve it. I was up 3 lbs. It is that TOM but I'm sure it has more to do with the humidity and some of the choices I made during the week.

Not going to let it get me down. I have emptied my WW pouch out and reread week 1 material. I'm going to go through the next few weeks as if I'm a new member. Last night the class lost 113 pounds in total and I'm very sick of NOT being one of those losers!

Here is a recap of the speech I gave myself last night......

It will be 2 years since I joined on Sept 12th. From Sept 12th to June 12th I lost 100 pounds. That means that believing I can follow this program will get me down at least 50 or 60 more pounds before my cruise. That is my goal and darn-it I CAN AND WILL DO THIS.

I'm not looking at the big picture any more just one meal at a time and I also promise to get my body moving once again and that could certainly mean an additional 20 or 30 pounds.

I'm looking forward to everyones support during the next 6 months. You are all great about that and I really appreciate it.

Take care all
Brenda

P.S. -- I'm off to the trailer Thursday night for 4 days, back in Windsor to watch my Daughter's software Canadian championship games than back to the trailer for a weekend of quilting.....

And of course, eating good that whole time!

Last edited by gettin_there; 07-31-2002 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:26 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Thumbs down AUGUST Eve

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Good morning all you who post here and you lovely lurkers of whom I would love to know all of your names. Stop and post if you have a need we can help with or if you have a pointer for us also.

It is a lovely day in the neighborhood this August eve. The Summer is marching along and leaving us high and dry. This morning I am sippin on a caramel cappuccino for a one point delicious beginning. I had a one point piece of toast smeared with peanut putter and honey. Will came over and looked at the card I have posted in front of me above the wondow that has my days and points I am allowed on it. He said, "You have a 24 point day, how bout we go to Maggie's and get a burrito on the way to class tonight - will that work for you?" I love Maggie's - yes it will work for me. I can save points for that for sure. I love it when I know early enough to plan for something special. Get this folks, when we were out to lunch on Monday I saw him dipping his fork into his salad dressing like I do! Little things like that thrill me to no end. No fan fair, nothing..... just quietly doing what looked like came naturally instead of dumping the whole little container on the salad and asking for more. He has lost quite a bit durning my trip down this road to thin ~ just doing some of the things that I do without me ragging on him. And he is so supportive! WOW is he ever. The local WW leader told the group that he is "cute." I would never call him that but he is my brown eyed handsome man.

BRENDA you have the right attitude! And this is a great time for you to get on about the business of losing. Have a great time at the trailer and ballgame. She must be a joy to watch. Going to make a quilt are you ~ done any sewing lately? I made a white islet poor boy hat to wear in my new car and want to put some green felt on the bottom of the viser because that white is a killer with the brightness. I have one I made that is denium with one of the pannels leather. They are big enough to stuff my hair up into and not to big to catch the wind and be bothersome. Plus I am told they look good. I have had many folks ask where I got them. That is always a nice compliment

Have a great day everyone this eve of August.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:29 PM   #5  

I was going to say "good morning" but notice that it is afternoon Iowa time. So . . . .

Good Afternoon, Flowers!

It's 92 degrees right now and supposed to hit 100 later this afternoon. A good day to stay put inside!

The guys have been here working on the bathroom. The electrician redid the light switches and added an outlet for a night light, etc. The sheet rock is up and ready to be taped and sanded down. Dust is all over everything! I'm sure glad I haven't done any deep cleaning for card club in Sept.

I maintained at WI last night. I was a little afraid of a gain because I didn't journal much last week and I know I was over points much of the time. Time to get serious once again. We walked at 5:30 this morning . . . there was a breeze but it was humid and sticky.

Maggie -- I thought you were coming to Iowa this spring and got lost along the way! I'd much rather marry than bury! Enjoy your burrito at Maggie's! I haven't had one in quite a while . . . sounds good!

Brenda -- I like your speech and I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! We can do this together! We just have to stay FOCUSED! Have fun quilting and watching your daughter's games! I don't suppose it's possible to do both at the same time.

My washer and dryer are done so I need to keep moving. I probably won't be around until Sunday. I am going with my dad to Rochester where he is having a biopsy. I'll leave tomorrow and then we'll go up on Friday. There is "something" on a vertebra that is causing him lots of shoulder pain. All of the tests show nothing so this is the next step. So far they haven't wanted me to go along but I just said I was coming this time and no excuses!

Have a nice afternoon, Thur., Fri., and weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-01-2002, 11:54 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Thumbs down August ~ It's August

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another lovely day in the neighborhood. Have noticed that it is getting darker earlier now so that means summer is winding down. I really like it when it stays light late instead of that dark that comes at 6 pm. OH well we can't be inperpetual summer mode for it would get boring and we would complane abot that. The burrito at Maggie's was good as usual. I like going there because we can get just what we want and not have that whole plate full of stuff I end up eating and all those wonderful chips and salsa. This way I save a huge amount of points.

JEAN I will miss you in the flower patch while you are gone. Hope all is well with you dad and it turns out to be something that doesn't even need to be looked at any further. Have a safe trip and stay OP. Congratulations on that maintain. Sometimes it really is a gift when we know our week isn't exactly as it should have been.

Good morning to all ya'll out there
Old 08-01-2002, 11:56 AM   #7  

Greetings one and all!
Sounds like everyone is moving right along with our Battle of the Bulge. Today was our last day of Aquarobics, and i'm very sad. Not only is the exercise good, but I've become attached to the women in the class. They do a land aerobics at the Y thru' Senior Friends 3X/wk, so guess I'll have to start doing that. I've been approached about doing a morning WW class at the Y. I'd love to do it, but I know they won't let me, as I'm at least 80 lbs from goal. There's no one else who's interested in doing it who is available in the mornings. I'm going to talk to the powers that be in Charleston to see what they have to say. If they won't let us do it, does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? I get rather fed up with WW and their hypocritical positions on some things, ie. they tout themselves as a service organization, but are getting ready to raise the weekly fees, charge full price if a family plan person comes alone because their partner reached goal or is sick, etc. I'd probably never make it in the business world, but I could sleep at night.
The beach was crowded and hot!!!!!! 110 the day we left. I can now say I've been to the Outer Banks of NC, and don't ever have to go back. The fresh seafood was delish, and I gained 3.4 lbs, but it was worth it.
Off to push the dirt around.
Have a good day.
Bubbles
Old 08-01-2002, 02:24 PM   #8  
Thin Within

BUBBLES it is good that you feel your gain was worth it for that takes a lot of stress out of your program. I always ask myself if what I am going to injest if it is worth it. Some things just aren't worth it but I am delighted you found that seafood and enjoyed it so much. Sorry to hear your aquarobic class has come to an end. That is hard on a person to get used to something for it to stop like that. The land class would be good but not the same. I don't know what your franchise of WW would say about your leading a WW class. I do know that in certain ones that they let those how have lost a significant amount and still have a ways to go to work at the reception desk but have never seen them train anyone for a leader that has a ways to go. Who knows though - it is worth a try. If the powers to be at WW don't go for it I would suggest that you have a get together and not charge a fee and share information that is good for weight loss. Call it a snappy name and and make it a social gathering of intrested folks that want to shed pounds. You could chair the meetings and have others bring to the group what is working for them etc. It can be done...... wish I were there and we could put our heads together and have a great meeting.

It was too hot at the beach for you to enjoy it wasn't it. Yep... been there and didn't leave anything that you have to go back for.

Have a great OP day on this first day of August
Old 08-02-2002, 01:05 AM   #9  
Thin Within

GOOD NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

I hope each of you had a wonderful frist day of August and it was kind to you.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:03 AM   #10  

Thanks for the suggestions Maggie. There are 5 different places here in town who want to start at work groups! Unfortunately, our two leaders are from Pocahontas Co., which is 45min to an hour away, and almost 1,000 ft. higher, so in the winter the roads can be nasty. They both teach Special Ed, so their plate is full. We've tried to recruit people to do it here, but no luck so far. I'm retired, so I have the time, and as a former teacher know how to speak to a group without getting freaked out. If we have to wait for me to get to goal, it'll be another year at least.
Where in Calif. are you that it stays so cool? I'm envious! Jimmy and I were out on the river trail this AM before 8, and I was still wringing wet after a half hour. Going kayaking this afternoon, so that'll be fun.
Brenda, hang in there. We've all been where you are, and it isn't easy. My mother was an alcoholic, and I'm convinced I have her addictive personality, but just happen not to like the taste of booze. I think it's harder for us to stay OP than it is for an Alcoholic to kick the habit........they don't ever have to have another drink as long as they live, whereas we have to eat to live and are constantly having to make choices.
How about the article published in the New England Journal of Medicine this week about obesity in women and heart disease......that's scary. Not anything new to any of us, except that the severity of it is really unnerving.......especially that you don't have to be very much overweight. Well, my stress test was fine, and I'm active, so I'll just think positively.
I have to go retrieve my kayak which I lent to a friend. Hope the weatherman is wrong and it doesn't rain this afternoon.
Have a great weekend one and all.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:52 PM   #11  
Web Nana

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS
It is Friday, again, and not only Friday but the new month is just a day old. Now, how did that happen to me? Between going to DD#2's house to water her plants while she is away and taking care of their dog and having other GK's visiting, the time seems to have evaporated!!!!! We went over to water yesterday but the water had been turned off. The workmen had left so there was noone to ask about it. It turns out the outside faucet had developed a leak and they had to replace it. The outside of the addition is just about done and they had the inspectors sign off on the preliminary plumbing and electricity so they should start drywalling soon. I don't think I would be so brave (or foolish) as to try to live in a house while a second floor was being added.

BUBBLES: I agree with you that eating is an addictive habit. I was able to quit smoking, cold turkey, many years ago but this eating thing is something else. We still have to eat!!! I know, just not so much.

BRENDA: That is a great idea to reread the 1st week WW material. It should give you a jump start. Now, if only I would only follow that suggestion my self. It has been a difficult past few months but I will take myself by the scruff of the neck and give myself a swift kick one of these days.

MAGGIE: You are so good. Keep on what you are doing as it is the right thing. I like your suggestion to Bubbles to start a side group to keep the Road to Thin going.

JEAN: I know you are away but I just wanted to say I am thinking of your Dad and his problem and hope you find all is well at the DRs. When you get back I hope most of the bathroom will be in place and you can get your own space back again.

Gloria in MA.....staying cool indoors. Hope to finish the laundry so I can sit down and put my feet up for a while before it is time to start cooking supper.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:13 PM   #12  
Thin Within

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The weather is so nice here today. In the high 70's. We drove to the coast and it is always about 10 degrees cooler than here and there was a refreshing light mist. Got the things to make that key lime pie - Cowboy loves that. I usually get a couple of pieces and let him have the rest which suits me fine for it is so low in points.

BUBBLES Get out your map..... I live in Ventura County and am currently residing in the Las Padres National Forest in a campground and think I am a very fortunate person to be here. The weather in this part of the state is great. Relatively no humidity so it isn't opressing when it hits the tripple didgets. I think you would be good to just start an informal type of group where they can come to weigh in and have a sort of round table disucssion. Exchange good recipes each has tried and what works for this walk down this road to thin etc. There are good motivational type books out on the market that would aid you.

GLORIA Guess you should take a jug of water with you when you go to water her plants. The time does fly when you are having a good time. Right now I gotta go - Cowboy just stepped in with the BBQ meat.

Have a good afternoon ya'll.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:13 PM   #13  

Hi Everyone!!

Wow...Summer has returned here!!!! We were up in the high 90's today and we were humid. This is our usual weather...actually still a few degress below normal. But from having the nice weather most of this summer...I feel it!!! They are predicting rain this coming week and cooler temps...so here is hoping.

Maggie: Way to go..I am very proud of you. I like the idea of the hats you made. Is your hair still as long as when you lived here? Keep up the great work you are doing...you are a role model for me.

Jean: I hope all is well with your Dad. I received my instructions for inservice...I guess school is coming faster than I wanted... I could use about another month....

Gloria: I have been watching the weather for your part of the country...and it seems like you are getting our weather. My mother-in-law said it so hot and humid that you really can't enjoy yourself outdoors.

Well..I better get dinner going...I have three little ones wanting to eat. I hope everyone has a great night.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:11 PM   #14  
Web Nana

Just a short note but I just heard from DS. He got the job!!!! He sounded so happy over the phone. It is with a tech company and he will be traveling at least 2.5 days a week in the SouthEast. The rest of the time he will be working out of his house. It is just what he wanted and the company said he suited them to a T.
He has been out of work since April and will be starting mid August. Needless to say I am happy too!!!

Gloria in MA.....cooling off with a little rain.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers!
Well, I am back home once again. In fact I came home last night. We had packed to stay overnight "just in case" but were back to my parents' by 2:30 in the afternoon. I thought it was kind of silly to unpack, hang around when we were all tired, then get up this morning and head home. So I stayed packed and came on home. The procedure went like it was supposed to and the radiologist said from what he could tell that everything looked normal. However, the pathology report won't be done until late Monday. I'm not just sure what will happen next although they did enroll my dad in a pain clinic of some sort. I don't know how that works so it's "wait and see" for now.

There is a cool breeze and it's so nice to have the windows open. They are predicting temperatures back in the 90s this afternoon -- hope that is wrong!

Maggie -- It was 65 degrees when I got home around 8 last night. Nice! We walked early and it was not humid. I could take this weather and not complain a bit!

Bubbles -- It's my guess WW won't let you start an official group. Perhaps you can start a similar group, weigh in, and offer support to each other w/o having to pay the high costs. I participate in another forum and there are two different gals who have started their own groups -- both have been to WW but use the internet for ideas on meeting topics to discuss. I didn't realize that WW had a family plan. I'm sure you will have the 3+#s gone in no time. It's hard to stay OP when you are away from home, I think.

Gloria -- DH and I are still sharing a bathroom! The floor tile was supposed to come in yesterday but didn't. The walls aren't finished yet so that really isn't a problem . . . having only one stool is! I can certainly attest to the fact that time evaporates! I don't know where this summer has gone. I was glad to see that your son got the job. I hope he likes it!

Lorraine -- I'm with you on another month of vacation! I just read in the paper that one of our state gov't. officials is "retiring" in Aug. but not actually quitting until Dec. That's because he can collect $180,000 in unused sick days by the date in Aug. If he waited until the Dec. date, he'd only get $2,000. I don't know of any jobs that pay you for not using sick days! Grrrrrr! Something is definitely wrong with that picture!

I like the new smilies! I need to get busy and finish some laundry -- maybe iron if it stays cool enough.

Thanks for the thoughts about my dad. Keep your fingers crossed.

Have a nice day. This is #14 so it's time to start a new thread.
See you later!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread