Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #16  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I wonder if the images in Runner's World are photoshopped. How depressing that would be.
I wonder that myself. Was Sarah Palin's photo photoshopped? Even though I'm not a huge fan of her's, I thought she was lookin' good!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #17  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I really enjoyed watching this, although it makes me want to photoshop my own pictures!

too funny.

this will prove me to be a geek, but did you ever see Logan's Run? everyone in this future city is gorgeous, there's a machine that basically gets rid of all your imperfections (sort of like a super plastic surgery gizmo). The down side is, when you reach 30, you get the Big Kibosh (zapped by ray guns). The idea being everything is youth and beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
For once in my life, I want to feel sexy because of the way I look. I realize this is shallow and sad, but can you really blame me? Look at the society I've been brought up in. I know that I'm intelligent and interesting and fun, but I have never experienced the feeling of *looking* sexy.
I don't think that's shallow and sad at all. Many, many women want to feel sexy (I hate to say all, bec then someone will come along and say, "I don't," ha). I do think much of that comes from the inside rather than what the outside looks like. You can be the most beautiful woman in the world and not feel sexy (omg, my THIGHS!!!), or have a gazillion flaws and think "I'm HOT!"

Self confidence is sexy.

I get the thinking, yeah, but there's a standard of beauty....

believe you're beautiful, be sexy to the people who really matter to you.
(and yes, I have had many moments when I've wished I looked better; I'm still working my way towards better self acceptance and all that good stuff)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #18  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Gosh, I wish I could photoshop myself! It sure is easy to get in shape with that gadget!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #19  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post
this will prove me to be a geek, but did you ever see Logan's Run? everyone in this future city is gorgeous, there's a machine that basically gets rid of all your imperfections (sort of like a super plastic surgery gizmo). The down side is, when you reach 30, you get the Big Kibosh (zapped by ray guns). The idea being everything is youth and beauty.
I've seen that film! But not when it came out it was a re-run on tv.

I do really agree with your comments on believing oneself to be beautiful, and that self-confidence is sexy. I just sometimes wish I could really convince myself of this too
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #20  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I watched it on TV too, I had such a crush on Michael York (Logan), ha.

I was just talking to bf about that movie, I forgot Farrah Fawcett had a part in it. Too funny.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 11-30-2009 at 02:12 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #21  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
I was suprised that the girl who was having her photo taken would say that she would like to lose 15 pounds....my thought was, from where?
I thought the same thing! Actually her comment made me feel like a big ol' cow.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #22  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I seen this about a mouth ago, and I joined Youtube just to subscribe to diethealth's page.

what made me angry was not this video, or her saying she should lose ten pounds, but this video she made, where she is responding to all the people that claim she is "fat"

http://www.youtube.com/user/dietheal.../3/EejpOK4JUy0

I wish I was that "fat" I hate ignorant people. and what she says at the end "since when is a size four fat?" I'm like I'll be happy in a size 10!!

Last edited by Mickeypnd; 11-30-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

the girl looked fine, all they did was smooth out some lines. it didn't look like they took 15 pounds off of her though. It still feels bad to think a girl can workout for exercise videos and still needs to be photoshopped.

the guy in the video said it's only the within the last 5 years that most photos are retouched...10-20 years ago it would of been too expensive for all photos in the magazine to be retouched.

would it be safe to think the women in magazines from the 70s, 80s, 90s were all natural?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #24  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

The girl in the video looks great....I think we all agree on that.

I also don't believe she was saying she needed to lose 15 pounds...more like she was curious to see what it would look like and was it even realistic.

In the old days I think we had a right to believe what we saw in magazines was real...in today's world I think most of us know that at anytime anything we read or see may or may not be real....sad

But don't we all photoshop ourselves?

I watch Angie do the make-up thing every morning, color the hair to get that grey out, cut it just last week for a new look. Loves to wear those "my butt does look skinny in these jeans" on Friday casual day at school.

No disrespect to my wife or anyone else, I think my wife is gorgeous w/o make-up and in her yoga sweats!

I just feel we all photoshop ourselves to make us more appealing to others...

Even men....

We un-tuck our shirts!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

But anybody can wear make-up or untuck their skirt. They can't walk around Photo-Shopped. I don't think that's really the same.

I think the question of whether those things we all do, as individuals, are "ok" or are only peer-induced, and to what degree, or whatever, is a valid and interesting one to consider. But it's a different thing than widespread media images of impossible perfection.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #26  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
But anybody can wear make-up or untuck their skirt. They can't walk around Photo-Shopped. I don't think that's really the same.

But isn't the purpose of photoshop to make one look better? Just like make-up and shirt untucking?

..... But it's a different thing than widespread media images of impossible perfection.
It is different...but come on Julie We have ALL seen those pictures of the celebrities with out make-up....I think we all know those photos in the "people" magazines aren't the real deal.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #27  

EZ, yes and no. I think most women do. And it still creates pressure. Just knowing isn't enough.

I think the real tragedy is the teens and pre-teens.

By the time you grow up and realize how fake and unrealistic it is, the damage is done, the lesson is already learned. The insecurity and need to measure up are hard to get rid of, even after you're aware of it.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-30-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #28  

Height: 5'11"

And I knew that photo shopping went on, but I didn't realize the extent of it. I had no idea that 99% of all images of celebrities (and probably models as well) have been photoshopped. Maybe that makes me stupid or naive, but I don't think so. And as Julie says, even if you know it intellectually, you're still seeing it with your own eyes and so I would think that for many people, they would still believe on some subconscious level that these people really look like that, and that we are somehow failures if we don't look anywhere near that good.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #29  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

I also am amazed at what that photoshop camera can do WINDCHIME!

JULIE I also agree that teens and pre-teens look "up" to those in the spotlight...and also agree that now that "we" know better it is too late for us...

So...that leaves us to "what do we do now?...how can we help young people to see what is "fake" about our "idols"...is in fact fake...and what is real...is really what is inside a person....our "idols" whether they be celebrities or family/friends?"
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
So...that leaves us to "what do we do now?...how can we help young people to see what is "fake" about our "idols"...is in fact fake...and what is real...is really what is inside a person....our "idols" whether they be celebrities or family/friends?"
Oh fine, bring in the tough questions