Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Overwhelmed

I haven't posted on 3FC in ages, but I'm back because I really need to get serious about my weight.

I'm get so overwhelmed/discouraged/unmotivated that I can't stick to a plan. On WW I find myself eating 25 points worth of empty calories and that is bad. For the past several months, I've been following SugarBusters, more or less, just choosing whole grains and watching sugar, and I think I've lost about 10lbs, but it was SLOW going and I gave myself free weekends (which is really not good because it triggers sugar cravings again and it makes the next week that much harder).

I think I lose most quickly on low carb, and I feel the most in-control when I am eating low-carb, but it gets so boring. I have to make a lot of rice and pasta dishes because I have 2 very picky toddlers, and those are our staples. But I use whole grain pastas, so I choose the healthier option.

I think it would be best for me to somehow combine these plans- lower carb/low sugar/calorie counting. So I'm wondering if #1 such a plan already exists and #2) if not, what kind of support group is there for DIYers?

Thanks so much!
groovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey, it sounds like you've answered some of your questions.

Watching out for sugar is good, free weekends are bad.

I was a DIYer and I think it was the best option for me. I am a unique individual, how can I follow anyone else's plan? I need a plan for me, that works for me. Another thing that was key was changing my plan when I needed to. I kept changing, refining, tweaking through weight loss, and going on 5 years of maintenance.

My plan was a combination of whole foods, calorie counting and volumetrics.

This means that carbs are fine, as long as I practice portion control. I eat mostly whole foods which helps reduce the empty carbs/packaged foods that trigger my cravings. And I hate to be hungry - so I eat a lot of big portions of vegetables to stay full and satisfied. I love to cook and try new recipes so I don't let myself get bored very often.

I also have ALWAYS treated weekends like any other day. Now that I'm in maintenance I do have treat meals in restaurants, but they are meals, not days AND I stick to my "forever no's" - no fast food, no fried foods, no creamy sauces. I also limit myself to one glass of wine and splitting a dessert and NO taking food home (restaurant food is so much higher in calories, sodium and fat than my normal food, it is a one night event).

You can always post in multiple forums for support and everyone is always welcome to join us in the maintainer's forum, if you lose one pound and want to keep it off - you're a maintainer.

Last edited by Glory87; 11-21-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh how I love to follow Glory.

I echo EVERYTHING she's said. My *plan* is much the same as hers. Though I believe Glory eats a bit more grains then I do, as I've got issues even with the "healthy" ones.

It seems to me as if you've discovered what doesn't work for you. And THAT'S very important to do so. Knowing what NOT to do is just as important as knowing WHAT to do. Free weekends are QUITE expensive! Empty calories - not satiating - not gonna work. And sugar - just not worth it. Boring foods, not gonna work for too long either.

So yes, by all means devise your very own plan, customized for your needs. No one knows you better then you.

Experiment, be creative and DISCOVER healthy, tasty, delicious ON PLAN foods to eat, so that you don't WANT to veer off plan. And without a doubt, weekends MUST be treated as any other day of the week. Even ONE solitary "off" day can without a doubt wipe out the good done from the previous 6 days, and that's just a shame. This is a lifestyle change. Not a weekday change. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven days in a row. Then repeat the process. When making the decision to lead a healthy lifestyle, it's 24/7/365. Luckily within those parameters there is a bit of room for the occasional splurge, as Glory mapped out for you. But it's ESSENTIAL to find on plan treats as well and redefine your idea of that said treat. Give your taste buds a chance to change. Work through that initial discomfort of letting your "former" habits die down as you incorporate new healthy ones. Have some patience, give it some time, work through that strange, awkward, uncomfortable "newness" of trying something different. COMMIT to it. Stick with it and before you know it, you will no longer be overwhelmed.

I eat lots of carbs, BUT they are the ones found in veggies and fruits. The other carbs just don't work for me. As for your children, they're young - they WILL adjust. Be creative. Butternut squash with apples, cauliflower "poppers", zucchini, turnip "fries", sweet potato "fries", roasted string beans, roasted broccoli, delicious soups, stews and chilis, etc.

Don't dread these changes, get EXCITED about them. They can and will transform your life. Discover who you were meant to be!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote