Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

Default been counting calories for 3 weeks now

So under the suggestions from my last post, i stopped guesstimating my calories and actually started counting them. I looked up my suggested calorie intakes (from 2 different sites) which came to 1300-1800. I've been zig zagging them. I also weight train 3 days a week. Interval train 6 days a week, and the occasional bike ride.... (i had a 4 day break from exercising when i got a cold) but i've not lost any weight.. im stuck at 189. This is the weight i was stuck at in 2006 when i last lost weight (on a shake diet) - my body wont loose any more and im not sure what to do...
Some of you will say, maybe my body shrank, fat converted to muscle, but i also measure myself and its the same all round.

Im out of ideas.. HELP!?
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If your ticker is correct you have lost 36 pounds , that is a great loss. How long have you been at 189 ? I doubt if you have reached a point where your body refuses to lose. Are you sure about the number of calories you are eating ? I think 1300 calories is a little bit low. 1800 sounds more like what you should be eating.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #3  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

hate to say it, but 3 weeks is not so long of a plateau, frustrating yes, but it may just take you some more time. I don't know what kinds of food you are eating, but you may try getting more of your calories from veggies and lean protein, try and cut all the processed and science project type foods that you can, maybe that'll get the scales going again! Congratulations on your current weight loss, you are doing a great job!!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

The actual food is as important, if not more so, than the amount of energy. Calories are calculated in a little box when food is lit on fire. They don't take into account how different foods affect your metabolism. So...what are you eating?
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #5  

3 weeks isn't a plateau - at least 6 weeks of the same weight. Your body takes a time out once in awhile from losing to rearrange your inner workings. Are you sure you are eating enough for all the exercise?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #6  

its 3 weeks at this weight since i tried calorie counting. It was 189 or 190 for almost a month before that.. maybe even two.

I eat alot of salad wraps, with boiled eggs.. oatmeal, steamed vegetables. The occasional grilled meat. But i generally have trouble eating alot. Im not hungry, and im afraid i'll gain weight.. not loose it if i eat alot.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

1800 calories a day would not be a lot.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

keep at it, you know what you are doing is going to help you lose, so keep moving, eating healthy and the scale will move.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

How big are your zigzags, and what is your target (that is, the actual average number you're shooting for, not the range you're allowed)?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

With 1800 calories your probably eating close to your BMR, so most of your burn comes from your activity at this point (meaning not just exercise but how much you move around all day) How many calories do you estimate you burn in a day? You might be over-estimating that.

At the same weight as you I can lose eating 1800, but I'm active at least 2 hours a day. 1500 tends to result in a better weekly loss (for me)

Last edited by Idealmuse; 11-16-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #11  

its maybe an hour of forced exercise a day. If i did much more than that, after a few days i get really tired... i deliver food for a job so i am always getting in and out of my car at work - and walk to my in laws and home almost every day (couple of blocks).. but i dont do much more than that. I dont have any friends, im not apart of any groups and i dont have any money to do anything else. excuses excuses excuses i know, but i want play soccer... only mothers or little children can play here. I want to try Tennis, but its expensive or there's no one to play with. I could run but i dont have an ipod and i get bored, and my shins always hurt. Lol more excuses.

As for average calorie intake.. probably around 1400; i have trouble eating more on such a small food budget. \

i got this for a BMR, but im not sure what it means ^__^; You have a BMR of 1918.47 / 1667.0 ( 2 different sites) so i burn that every day? Plus my work out?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #12  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
its maybe an hour of forced exercise a day. If i did much more than that, after a few days i get really tired... i deliver food for a job so i am always getting in and out of my car at work - and walk to my in laws and home almost every day (couple of blocks).. but i dont do much more than that. I dont have any friends, im not apart of any groups and i dont have any money to do anything else. excuses excuses excuses i know, but i want play soccer... only mothers or little children can play here. I want to try Tennis, but its expensive or there's no one to play with. I could run but i dont have an ipod and i get bored, and my shins always hurt. Lol more excuses.

As for average calorie intake.. probably around 1400; i have trouble eating more on such a small food budget. \.

i got this for a BMR, but im not sure what it means ^__^; You have a BMR of 1918.47 / 1667.0 ( 2 different sites) so i burn that every day? Plus my work out?
Hm... Yeah I can see how that would be annoying with that intake you should be losing. Are you weighing your food or just eyeballing/guessing? Have you have your Thyroid checked?

BMR calculators can be off a bit (and I've found estimate on the high side) BMR is basically what calories your body burns if you did nothing all day just laid in bed you could very well burn a lot less then the calculators say. I think mine is only like 1700.

If you're already tired on an hour of exercise a day I wouldn't add in any more strenuous exercise at this point, but that doesn't mean you can't try and move more in general. All those movements throughout the day add up a lot more then you realize. I wear a bodybugg which basically charts out the calories I burn all day and it's shocking to see how little you burn sitting around. Maybe think of projects to do? Paint a room? stuff like that...

I know walking/running w/o an ipod is boring... maybe you could ask for a cheapo one for the holidays? If your ankles hurt running you might not have the right kind of shoes or might be doing too much too quick. Running burns a lot more calories per hour then lots of other stuff. At your weight probably a good 700-800 per hour.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
Some of you will say, maybe my body shrank, fat converted to muscle, but i also measure myself and its the same all round.

Im out of ideas.. HELP!?
Fat doesn't convert into muscle, so you are correct to not think that is the issue.

I think 1800 calories at your activity level might be a bit high. I would try sticking to, no make that I would stick to 1400 - 1500 calories tops. Eat "cleanly", drink lots of water. You don't need to spend a lot of money to exercise. Put on the radio and dance your fool head off. Buy an inexpensive hula hoop, jump rope, resistance band.

Be accurate, really, really accurate with your calorie counting, including measurements of foods. Be CONSISTENT. No off days.

I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating, but rest assured as long as you stick with it, the weight just has to come off. Really, it does. And it will!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #14  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Jinksie, I know that this is incredibly frustrating. But maybe you can try to turn the way you think about this plateau around. Rather than thinking, "This is where my body stops losing.", think "My body is adjusting at a new, lower weight." When your body is done "adjusting", along with staying OP, your body will continue to release the weight. Try to turn it into a positive rather than a negative. Also this is great practice for maintenance--that's what I always tell myself.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Your BMR is how much your body burns just being alive. Generally, you should not eat consistently lower than your BMR. That in itself can cause a stall--or so I hear Jillian has said.

Aim for 1600 average and see how that goes for two full weeks. Try to stay close--don't go too far under or over.

If you eat too much lower than BMR for too long, you can actually slow your metabolism. Not a good thing!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote