Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #1  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Tom

How do you deal? I have been so bloated, so I know that is affecting my body right now. I normally eat and eat and eat at that TOM. However, I only had one day where I felt like that.

But, what do you do during that TOM or pre TOM to control the cravings, the moods, the body changes (bloating, etc.)?
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #2  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

TOM is always hard!

I usually get super crazy cravings - when a craving hits I eat a little piece of dark chocolate or a mint and that usually helps. I also drink plenty of water, especially hot water, it really helps.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #3  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I just grit through it.

It's just a couple of days, and as frustrating as the bloat is, I know it's not real weight gain or a sign of any failure on my part. Cramps and pain are the more serious problem for me than a little bit of bloat that has nothing to do with how hard I've been working to lose fat.

As for cravings, I handle them the same as I always do - have apples and boiled eggs and bits of cheese handy, and don't have things handy that I'm trying to avoid. That plus plenty of water is enough to get me through a couple of rough days.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Just get through the next few days and keep your eye on the prize, that is, how cool it will be to get on the scale next week and see a drop in weight after all the bloating and water retention goes away. If you give in to the cravings, you will feel better for the few moments that you are eating but then you will feel even more miserable because you will still be bloated and then you will have gone off your eating plan on top of it and won't see as much as a loss if you stay the course. Also, know that your body is still burning fat even though you feel puffy and crampy.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I've started to really look forward to it! Since I've adopted my new lifestyle, every single time on day 3 I've lost 5lbs; it's been like the free gift diet fairy has visited.

Obviously I've already put on some on some of that weight the week before but I convince myself that it's just 'water weight' whereas the 5lbs I dump is pure fat.

I've also been taking St John's wort and 5HTP supplements which have really helped with the cravings.

Last edited by Trudiha; 11-11-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #6  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I just hang on to knowing it's only a couple days and if I can get through it without giving into cravings I'll be much happier then if I didn't.

Sometimes if I really have to I'll chew some gum and chug some water. Not cake but I feel better about myself afterwards.
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #7  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudiha View Post
I've started to really look forward to it! Since I've adopted my new lifestyle, every single time on day 3 I've lost 5lbs; it's been like the free gift diet fairy has visited.
Haha, I love this. I look forward to having my period too because I know I'll drop 2-3 pounds instantly. I wish it were 5 pounds, though!

I generally get cravings right before my period starts. Although, it isn't so much cravings as needing to have food in my mouth. at. every. single. moment. Preferably something bready. At first I didn't recognize the pattern (I'm dense at times) and ate without thinking about it. Now I mentally prepare myself in the week before my TOM starts. I plan meals and snacks so that I eat something every 2 hours. And I eat beans. Lots of them. For some reason they're a valid substitute for bread for me. =b
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #8  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudiha View Post
HaHaHa!

I don't think i'll ever look forward to TOM but nice to see someone not complaining about it!

Good for you

Last edited by L R K; 11-11-2009 at 02:25 PM.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #9  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

So true! So true! Thanks, ladies!!! This is awesome! Something to look forward to with it all-woohoo! lol
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote