Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyorNot View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful advice... I think the best thing for me to remember coming from all this advice is "I choose NOT to have that", instead of "I cant have that"

I would much rather be slimmer and happy then have the cake and cookies...

My husband has tried many times to help me... he knows how much I want to lose weight for ME... but then I go and try and buy something.. he says no, then I give him sad eyes or yell at him saying he doesnt want me to be fat so he says get it... Its HORRIBLE! I know he loves me the way I am and he is ONLY helping me because I have asked him to.. but then I turn it around on him....

We do have alot of healthy foods in the house, but we also have bad foods.... when I am hungry, or bored and wantign to eat I easily turn to the bad foods... we just dont have enough healthy foods here...

I know at 170 lbs I am not this disgusting huge creature.. but thats the way I feel.... in 2003 I was 210... and when I look at pictures of myself I am horrified.... I just want to look at myself and see a beautiful slim face and not see 5 rolls on my back and 2 huge rolls on my stomach...

I want my daughter to be proud of me, not embarassed because she has the only fat mommy (she isnt in school yet,but when she is).

Your posts have helped me CHOOSE NOT to have pancakes this morning.. we will have granola instead....
Oh yes. We must always remember that this is a choice. Not that I can't eat xyz, but that I won't. I choose better. I hold myself up to a higher standard. I no longer settle for second best. I require more from myself and therefore the foods that I eat which directly relate to my health and my well being.

So yes, it sounds like you're feeling better about things. Good. I'm glad.

But, I gotta caution you here, granola can be just as caloric as pancakes. If not more so, depending on how much you eat of it and really one serving isn't all that large. It is loaded with fat and sugar. Deceiving, right?

Really the only way to know for sure that you're creating that all important calorie DEFICIT is to indeed COUNT your calories. It can be a very eye-opening experience. It'll take time till you get it all down pat, but think of it as a learning experience. Educate yourself . Look forward to this. It's a time of personal growth and betterment. For you and your family.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 225/225/135

Height: 5'5"

Another thing you can do for yourself is to not deny yourself completely, but be very careful. When I lost weight before I allowed myself small treats everyday. By this I mean I would let myself have two or three Hershey's kisses - but only two or three. I would do this in the evening after the kids were in bed because that was the time I wanted to snack. It was my downfall time. This allowed me to have me treat, conquer the cravings, and not feel like I was depriving myself completely.

Also, as I said before, you cannot underestimate the importance of doing things for yourself. If you are always concentrating on the negatives, you will miss all the positives. Do you have any interests or hobbies? Indulge in those instead of food. Go for a walk with your husband, go to a movie with friends. Take your kids to the park. Also, this time of year, start planning your holidays out, it will keep you busy and give you something happy to look forward to.
Sarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 172/164/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow! Even qiuck cooking oats cooked in water then 2tsp of brown sugar and 1/2 cup 1% milk is that bad?

What in the world is healthy for breakfast?
ReadyorNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #19  
MindBodySpirit Health

S/C/G: 246/216/186

Height: 5'4"

Quick cooking oats is not bad for you to eat for breakfast. I think Robin may have been talking about the ready-made granola that you find in stores, that already have sugar/honey, nuts, etc. added to it. Plain oats from the box (and prepared as you mentioned) is a very healthy breakfast!
angieaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

Ready or not, yeah, granola isn't so great for you. I mean, it is healthy for you, because it typically has nuts and whole grains, but there is a lot of sugar in there, too, and it tends to be highly caloric.

I found something that is craveable and filling that is perfect for breakfast - take an Ezekiel English Muffin, spread two wedges of laughing cow cheese and two tablespoons of pumpkin butter. Yummy, and less than 300 calories.

Or how about french toast made with Ezekiel bread and egg whites, with a bit of low sugar preserves?

There are lots of things that you can eat that aren't pancakes or granola. I would suggest going over to the food section of this site and get some ideas.

Good luck!
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieaang View Post
Quick cooking oats is not bad for you to eat for breakfast. I think Robin may have been talking about the ready-made granola that you find in stores, that already have sugar/honey, nuts, etc. added to it. Plain oats from the box (and prepared as you mentioned) is a very healthy breakfast!
Yes, exactly. I thought you meant like boxed Granola.

Here's a link from thedailyplate.com
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...eneric/granola

It puts it at 598 calories per cup. Of course they all vary, which is why it's best to ALWAYS read the label. ALWAYS. On whatever it is. Don't assume just because something's "healthy" that it's low calorie and in fact, all that "healthy". Read. Become aware. It takes some time for. But you will learn and your food choices will evolve.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #22  

I definitely need food ideas! I'm still fairly new to the site. Where do I go to see the food section?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

Just wondering... Do you have health coverage? Because many (most) plans cover the cost of a nutritionist. She/he may be able to guide you further and get you going on the right track. Great for accountability as well...
Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #24  

Oh thanks! I will check out that link when I'm not on my mobile!

What do you all go by? Calories? Fat? Sugar? Carbs?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #25  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...lous-finds-17/

Not sure if that link would work, but look under Food Talk and Fabulous Finds in the forum section.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyorNot View Post
Oh thanks! I will check out that link when I'm not on my mobile!

What do you all go by? Calories? Fat? Sugar? Carbs?
I do a combination of:

Whole foods (which limits sugar)
Calorie counting (which tends to limit carbs as well - since 200 calories of rice/pasta is SMALL)
Volumetrics (big portions of low cal foods to fill up)

I only worry about fat to make sure I'm eating enough healthy fat.

Last edited by Glory87; 11-11-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #27  

I do have health coverage. In Ontario when I was 15 I went to a dietitian.

Now I think in a tiny albertian town. They would probably send me to Edmonton which is a 3hr drive.

My coverage is through my husband. He is military and they don't make it easy to find out what you are covered for
Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #28  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I have almost completely cut out refined sugar, bread, artificial sweeteners, diet soda and high calorie foods and those foods that trigger binges. However, there are days when I fall off track and go wild and crazy on binges, but I haven't done that since about November 3rd. I try to take it one day at a time.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #29  

What will it take? Until you love your body just the way it is, it won't happen. We have to love ourselves to be our care first.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #30  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Thanks for posting this and encouraging all the responses. I am having the same challenges right now. Sabaotaging myself at every opportunity.

I don't have any bad food in the house - at all. But I live downtown and very close to places that do. No matter how hard I try, I choose not to find the willpower. I know I can't say 'can't' because I lost 70 pounds before.

I almost think that I have to eliminate any type of foods that trigger things - diet soda, a bite of chocolate, whatever it is. Just learn to live without them until I get myself under control? I know everyone is different.

I was very successful with a trainer before...but I can't really afford one now. I just need that support. I get a lot on here, but I need something, someone to validate how I look and how hard I work....it's quite strange.
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote