Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #1  

Default a thought on buying clothes for the 'future'

--

Last edited by thisisnotatest; 01-25-2010 at 06:57 PM.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've done that.

My lastest was a set of scrubs. Very cute! The top fit and the pants were just too snug for all the bending etc I have to do at work. But I wanted that cute set of scrubs ... oh yes I did!
Now ... the pants fit and the top is ... well sloppy enough that it's not nearly as cute as I'd thought it would be.

And styles change ... colours ...

Can you sell some of your things?

Here's my trick. Wear your firmest foundation garments when you go shopping. Stuff will fit and down the line, when you're slimmer, you'll be able to wear them without the control-tops or whatever. Gets a little more mileage out of interim clothing.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I've been doing this a lot recently - it's because I hate all the clothes in my current size but once size down they get so much better (1 size down is what I remember being before I put on so much weight). I guess stockign one size down isn't too bad though especially as they're mainly basic things like jeans and T-shirts and they are the colours I'd pick whetehr they are in fashion or not (saw some dark pink jeans today and had to buy them or I knew I'd regret it next year sometime when I will be the right size for them).
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #4  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I have a "dream wardrobe" in my closet of clothes I actually used to wear. I have some beautful suits and some great casual clothes in sizes ranging from 20 (my current size) all the way to Size 9. Average size 14 and I would kill to be in a 14. Of course this is 10 years ago size 14 which is probably today's size 10.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #5  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Thanks!
I have been so tempted to buy the next size down in my favorite jeans brand but have no idea if I would still look as good in that particular style when I'm ten pounds less...............
Lilita175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

What I do for motivation is really buy the size down in a great pair of jeans. I did this with Gap Long and Leans -- my first pair was a size 12 and I bought a size 10 for luck. I'm in the 10s and have a pair of 8's in the closet that I can do up but are a bit snug. Although what Lilita says is true -- I've noticed that the 8's waist is snug but the LEGS are really tight. Am I destined for a small waist but big legs? I guess I'll know with time.
I won't though buy anything 2 sizes down because then I really am in the weeds with respect to if it will fit or how it will look. Lots of times things look great on a mannequin but horrible on my body.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

A lot of us toy around with fantasy clothes and goal clothing. There are times it can be a good motivator, and other times it just makes you feel worse if you overshoot your goals. This is how I go about it, hope this helps.

1. I buy an immediate goal item, something that looks good now, but is a bit uncomfortable to wear. It helps motivate me just a few pounds, like 5-8.

2. Don't buy clothes for an imaginary future... to me -30lbs is wayyyyy far away, probably long enough for the style to go out of fashion and not be a really concrete idea.

3. Know how your body loses weight, and buy your goal item with that in mind. I lose weight in my waist and upper body quickly, but my thighs and hips will probably stay the way they are for a while. So my goal items tend to be pants that are too snug in the waist (but fit well in the hips/thighs), or cute tops that are a bit too tight across the shoulders/arms. Basically, if something is too snug on my thighs it's going to take a much longer time to lose weight from that spot, so I would never choose a goal item that will discourage me.

4. Hang up your goal item somewhere where you can see it everyday as a reminder.

I have an adorable strapless shirt that I bought from Urban Outfitters last month. It fits, but it's a little uncomfortable in my midsection at the moment. I could technically wear it now, but I want to wait at least -5lbs so that it will feel a bit roomier.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

i won't do anything that I can't fit into. Maybe it won't button or the arms are slightly tight but I just can't justify clothes that don't fit at all. Honestly, i dont have the money to buy clothes for someday when I need clothes that fit right now.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote