Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #1  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy A bit discouraged

One of my motivations for losing weight is that I want to become a police officer. I just looked up the physical requirements for one of the police departments in the county that we are moving to in January/February. It says that you must be proportionate to your height. It also gave a chart. For a woman who is 5'4, the weight range is from 114 to 145. My goal is to become 175 by my birthday. That's still 30 pounds from the maximum weight for my height. I just got a little discouraged. But-the good news is that I have almost two years (or a little longer) until I am going to start applying for the academy and individual departments. Just thought I'd share. I know it's one step at a time. (I'm a walker, so that truly fits me very well!)
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

OH please, don't be discouraged. You do have plenty of time and plenty of support on here. DO not lose weight solely to be a police officer hon. You are loosing weight because it is what is good FOR YOU...There may be an even higher calling in your life later on. None of us know what tomorrow brings. Our motive for weight loss is not to be a model, not for acceptance of the general population, not to fit someone or something's idea of what we need to be. Our motivation is to be healthy for our family, children etc...most important for ourselves. We only have ONE life to live it's our choice how we go about it.

Be encouraged focus on more positive reasons you are purposefully choosing to be healthier, wiser choices and thinner.

I have learned to totally love myself right today right where I am at even at a womping 200+ lbs because this is who I am today. My weight doesn't determine WHO I AM....but it is crucial to understand how my choices in the area of food are liberating and goal oriented and going to bring me a more fuller life as time goes on, Lord willing....

CHIN UP were all here for you
readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #3  
I'm A Work In Progress!

I have many more motivations to lose weight and most of them are about how I feel about me...and trying to improve that. I just got a bit discouraged with that number. Just taking a step back now...I lost five pounds this week, and I feel great about who I am and what I'm doing for me! I know that I do not look like what I want to look like, or feel how I want to feel, ultimately. But, I am a work in progress, and that is what I feel great about. I'm just hoping that I'm able to accomplish a healthy eating diet today. I've walked three miles already this morning, so I also feel great about that.

So, I didn't mean to sound like I was totally in despair about that weight. It was just discouraging from where I'm at today. Oh, and by the way...my butt feels great! lol So, I'm celebrating the small victories but have that ultimate dream, ya know?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

I think your goal of becoming a police officer is a fine goal, and is a great motivator if you feel that is your calling! And setting interim goals is a really good idea because it keeps your goals within reach, ya know? When I first started here at 3FC, I set my goal at 180. And who knows, I might feel great when I get there and decide to stop there. I set it there because honestly, 65 pounds sounded like a LOT and I wasn't sure if I could even do that. 80 sounded un-doable for me at that time. Now I realize that it's totally do-able, I just have to keep plugging away.

It sounds like you're doing GREAT thus far and I hope that you see all the good things you're doing (walking, improving your diet, setting goals) as positives--and it sounds like you do! So use whatever you like as a motivator, whether it be good health, looking great, or being a police officer!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wow, wonderful! that's a great motivator. let it make you feel psyched about the process rather than discouraged about the length of the journey (however long or short it might be, you just may surprise yourself!).

congrats on the 5lbs, phenomenal loss for a week!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #6  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

I'd only be worried about this.... once you lose the weight to become an officer, what happens when the pressure of that goes away? Will you back to your regular eating/exercise habits after? We all know that cops won't get fired after the fact, for being overweight... so long as they can do the essential functions of the job. I've seen more than a fair share of overweight police officers.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

You CAN do this! Reach your first goal, and then set a second one.
The range you listed is the healthy BMI range for a person who is 5'4", so their range is very realistic.

You have plenty of time, and you absolutely can do this!

Really! If this old chickie can, you will make your goal!

I set mini-goals during my journey. They worked really well and kept me from getting discouraged.

Keep us posted on your progress!

CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #8  
I'm A Work In Progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN BSN 2009 View Post
I'd only be worried about this.... once you lose the weight to become an officer, what happens when the pressure of that goes away? Will you back to your regular eating/exercise habits after? We all know that cops won't get fired after the fact, for being overweight... so long as they can do the essential functions of the job. I've seen more than a fair share of overweight police officers.
I guess that the only thing that I can say about this aspect is that I'm not losing weight JUST to become a police officer. I decided to make this journey to live a healthier life, and to continue to live a healthy life-even after I reach my original goals. I have a list of about twenty motivations, and becoming a police officer is just one of those 20-ish on-going motivations. So, just like anyone else, once I reach my goal, I'll have to learn to maintain.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #9  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

cool.... yes... you need more than just the one motivation!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post
wow, wonderful! that's a great motivator. let it make you feel psyched about the process rather than discouraged about the length of the journey (however long or short it might be, you just may surprise yourself!).

congrats on the 5lbs, phenomenal loss for a week!

I totally agree. You will get this done
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #11  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I've heard that muscle helps with weight loss because it burns more calories, so as you become stronger to do all the things that police officers do, then it should help with weight loss, no?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote