Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Going to Puerto Vallarta next week

....and I'm scared. EXCITED, but scared. I'm worried because my mom told me we'll be going out to dinner every night. And not to mention the MARGARITAS! I love margaritas, and Mexico is the Margarita capital!

I've slowly been losing weight thanks to Weight Watchers. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to be able to enjoy myself, but I'm dreading the weigh in when I get back.
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #2  
Bikinis in Summer '10!

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well I'd suggest upping the exercise while you're there. Hopefully your hotel has a gym. Explore the city by walking. Don't have margaritas every night you're there and when you go for dinner order grilled fish or chicken. But you are going to be on vacation so just try not to worry to much and have a good time! Good luck and have fun!
Lauranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

LOVE the food in Mexico and honestly I have lost weight every time 'cause I eat everything and always get sick... I just consider it part of traveling in Latin America. The culprits for me on my last trip were margaritas (the ice! Duh, we totally spaced that ice is made from water, which may not be filtered ...) and guacamole (avocados cut on a cutting board that who knows what else was also cut on ...)

This being said, big hotels in Puerto Vallarta are probably fine, even for salads (which sadly I give up when I go there - I like to eat at the local restaurants and I don't want to push my luck too much!)

Diet-wise, PV has TONS of seafood, if you eat fish/shellfish. I found the food to be less heavy/greasy/cheesy as its American counterpart, but the place is getting really touristy so maybe that is changing...

As far as the margaritas go, if you feel OK about the ice, and willing to forgo the sugar, a "tequila gimlet" is just tequila and lime juice and it's delicious and fairly low-cal but definitely not sweet. Plus you can appreciate the different tequilas that way.

Have a great time! And enjoy the exercise opportunities - great hikes, even just walking around the hilly town is work and there are lots of opportunities for running on the beach, swimming/snorkeling...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #4  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

I also am always "sick" when traveling in Mexico, lol. Plus, you shower in unfiltered water! Just have a good time! Try to eat sensibly, stay away from fried foods (even though those jalapeno poppers are soooo good), and get lots of walking in!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the advice girls. I won't be staying in a hotel - my aunt and uncle have a condo, so we'll be staying there (so no hotel gym). But my mom did say we'll do lots of walking, and my aunt likes to walk in the mornings on the beach - so that'll help some too.

Now you all have me worried about getting sick!! :\ I didn't even think of that.......
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #6  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I went to Playa del Carmen earlier this summer at all-inclusive resort (oh yes, all you can eat buffets, unlimited alcoholic beverages, a la carte dining...) not a whole lot of exercise when everything you want/need is just a few steps away.

You know what the BEST advice someone gave me? "Eat what you want, but watch the portions." So I did just that - when I gave myself permission to eat what I wanted, I didn't feel restricted or start to "crave" things that maybe I normally wouldn't eat. I ate until I was satisfied each meal. Some meals I did try to choose better - eggs, etc. I was too scared to eat any of the fresh fruit lol. But I didn't get sick and I came back having maintained my weight so it worked!

Good luck...and have fun!!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #7  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

Don't worry much about getting sick if you're staying at your aunt and uncle's condo!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote