Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Gained a pound!!

I am so upset. I just finished my second week. First week I lost 7 pounds, but this morning I am 1 pound heavier. I am ticked. Admittedly, I had a hard week struggling with "hunger." I am supposed to be between 1700-1800 calories per day for weight loss. I averaged 1860 this week so I guess that is why. Plus, I did not exercise yet.

I guess this week I need to be more diligent about staying under 1800 and I need to get serious about walking or something. I am so upset. I am going to be gone all day today at the Renaissance Fair and I have packed a lunch and some snacks. I will be walking around for the most part so today I will definitely be more active. I think I am going to weigh myself again Friday morning. I can't go all week knowing I didn't lose anything. To top it off TOM was here last week and is gone now!! WTH!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Even so, lady you've lost 6 lbs in ONE WEEK! That's a HUGE accomplishment!!

It looks to me like that 1 lb gain is just water weight. Going over your daily allotment by 60 calories does not = 1 lb of fat. Did you eat anything with more sodium in it and perhaps exceeded your usual sodium intake? That can cause water retention as can extra carbs...

Good for you for not throwing in the towel because of that 1 lb and way to go on packing that lunch and snacks and getting your walking in! Having a positive, keep-chugging attitude will make all the difference.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

The scale is you know that, right?? Seriously, it is!

This happens a lot -- see the sticky at the top of the page!

One problem is that we use the scale to try to measure fat loss, but it's actually not a good tool for that. It measures all of us, and most of us is water. So our water fluctuates all the time and makes it hard for us to know what's going on with the fat (and the muscle...)

So, if your water fluctuates because of sodium, or TOM, or because your muscles are holding on to water after exercise, or a myriad other reasons, you may see the scale go up.

It's actually possible that you lost 1 pound of fat this week but gained 2 pounds of water. The scale looks to be up one pound, but you can't see the fat loss.

The only solution? Just keep going! Use the scale, but don't give it too much power over you!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 3"

Stay motivated! Just like others have said, I bet it's water weight. And have a great time at the Ren Fair!
Lyndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155.4/133.4/105

Height: 5'0"

Don't give up. This is going to happen from time to time with dieting. But Congrats on the 6 lbs lost.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Your body can hold a lot of water. My water swings are as much as 3-4 pounds. And you can hold water for any number of reasons - because you exercised, because you got dehydrated and then rehydrated, because you ate more salt than normal, because you have your period, etc. etc. etc.

This means that day-to-day or even week-to-week changes in your weight are pretty much meaningless. Yes, it's a good feeling to step on the scale and see a lower number from last week. But if you get upset and discouraged every time that doesn't happen, you are setting yourself up to fail.

You have to take a longer view. You didn't put all the weight on in a week. You're not going to take it all off in a week either.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote