Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #31  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMary2 View Post
It is much easier to ask forgiveness than permission. So, I say, buy what you want and say, "Sorry honey, I thought it would be ok since it was necessary for my good health."
I LOVE this! I'm absolutely going to do this in the future.

And you ladies are right. The cleaning issue shouldn't even be brought up when I want to buy something. That's the kind of crap my mom would pull. I shouldn't be getting it from my husband!

I'm gonna be gettin' me some dumbells!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Good lord I hope you get this sorted out for yourself soon, because the longer you let your husband control all the finances the harder it will be to change it later. I've been married for 2.5 years and I know how difficult it is for newlyweds to set the rules of their game.

Number one, you should be equal partners, the way you describe his attitude is that of a parent scolding a child who didn't get a good grade in school. You're not being graded or tested for housecleaning duties. Sure, you could stand to do a little better as you say but what does one have to do with the other? Witholding money is just as bad as witholding sex - what's the point if not for a sense of control.

My husband is frugal as well and every little purchase I made was hard for him to understand "But don't you already have a lipstick???" The truth is that men are idiots. So I followed my Mother's advice and got my own account. I buy things but I never tell him about it, like shoes, clothes, dumbells, etc. He never notices them and there's nothing to fight about.... no I'm not being deceptive - I am an equal participant in our household expenses and savings. Men don't need to know everything that goes into being a woman.

Don't be afraid to start an argument - this is worth fighting for
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #33  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Good lord I hope you get this sorted out for yourself soon, because the longer you let your husband control all the finances the harder it will be to change it later. I've been married for 2.5 years and I know how difficult it is for newlyweds to set the rules of their game.

Number one, you should be equal partners, the way you describe his attitude is that of a parent scolding a child who didn't get a good grade in school. You're not being graded or tested for housecleaning duties. Sure, you could stand to do a little better as you say but what does one have to do with the other? Witholding money is just as bad as witholding sex - what's the point if not for a sense of control.

My husband is frugal as well and every little purchase I made was hard for him to understand "But don't you already have a lipstick???" The truth is that men are idiots. So I followed my Mother's advice and got my own account. I buy things but I never tell him about it, like shoes, clothes, dumbells, etc. He never notices them and there's nothing to fight about.... no I'm not being deceptive - I am an equal participant in our household expenses and savings. Men don't need to know everything that goes into being a woman.

Don't be afraid to start an argument - this is worth fighting for
You're right.

Men just don't get us! I hate having to explain to him why I need so many different smelling lotions, lol.

I have a feeling that when I get to my goal weight and start loving clothes again, he will not understand that either!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I didn't read the other posts yet so don't know if it was mentioned...

If the weights are too expensive there is always those tubing/bands, and CLX shows you how to use them. They are a little tricky to get the hang of, but they can be challenging.

I don't have the SelectTechs, but I read alot of people finding them cheaper on craigslist, so maybe keep an eye there or in the paper. Sometimes dumbbells go on sale.. but yeah, they can get expensive.. (I remember a few years ago when they were still cents a pound, wish I would of got them all then!) Maybe tell your husband he could use and benefit from them too.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote