Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #1  
Falling Too Fast

S/C/G: 342/309/190

Height: 5'9"

Question Losing Weight Too Fast

Friday evening I weighed 321, tonight I weighed 309. That's 12 lbs in one week!

But to be honest, I'm a little concerned... I've been in a process of changing my eating habits since July and from July 1st to Sept 24 I lost 21 lbs. I have been using an Iphone app called "Lose It" to keep a food and exercise diary. I went from eating whatever I wanted in the month of June (but tracking every bite in the app) to trying to create a Carb/Protein/Fat ratio of 40/40/20 with at least 30 grams of fiber daily... This has been working awesome for me with mostly walking/hiking & Wii Fit for exercise.

Then this Sunday I had a big surprise, my first menstrual cycle in two years (I have insulin resistance/PCOS and have only had doctor induced cycles for the last 11 years). Ever since then, this entire week I have been dropping at least 2 lbs a day. I feel great, no fatigue, no cravings. I have been a tad queasy all week and have eaten a little bit less (200 - 300 calories/day) and my fat ratio has increased to about 35% of my daily calories.

So, 12 lbs in less than a week is quite a bit... Since it has been so long since I've had a menstrual cycle I was wondering if this is normal? Should I expect to gain a bunch back next week?

Thanks for your replies!!
newlife276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #2  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

The higher your starting weight, the more likely you'll lose faster in the beginning, and often the first couple of weeks you shed water weight like crazy. Twelve pounds is a lot, but if you're feeling okay and you know you're getting proper nutrition (enough cals, enough water, etc), I'd wait and see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. I'd bet you'll see a slowdown as your body adjusts to better eating and exercise habits.

Congrats on the loss!
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #3  
Running With Scissors

S/C/G: 178/175/150

Height: 5'3

if your really concerned ask your doctor. However if your period isn't regular and now you have it, it may be water weight combined with lbs dropped. If you continue to drop weight at this pace for a week or two I'd start to worry and see your doctor. But I know that after I get my period I drop a few lbs from water weight and then some, so I'd keep an eye on it, but don't freak out yet. :-) and good job!
indiegrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

I saw my doctor yesterday and he told me that he doesn't consider it healthy to lose more than 6 lb/month. he said to aim for 4. obviously, my current weight factors into that advice, but id still be careful. if this keeps up much longer id talk to a doctor just to be sure. i know you said you're on a good plan and not starving yourself, but you want to make sure there aren't any other factors/illnesses that are coming into play with this rapid loss.

but congrats on all your success!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

As long as you're eating enough I wouldn't worry about a big whoosh here and there and while that's a big loss there's plenty of explanations. At your current weight I wouldn't worry. At my current weight I still soemtimes get 4lb whooshes from tiem to time though tend to have had a low losing week the week before and stay abotu the same for a week or two after so last I checked despite a few whooshes still averaged at 2.2lb loss a week.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #6  
Falling Too Fast

S/C/G: 342/309/190

Height: 5'9"

I did have a week with no loss before all this started, I do hope it stays off. I suspect it probably is water weight so I'm a little worried I'll jump back up as soon as my cycle's over.

At this weight I normally allow myself up to 1900 cal/day, with the majority being lean protein and whole grains/veggies and the last week I've been enjoying almonds and and the occasional (daily)York peppermint pattie, but overall consumed about 1600 cals/day.

Thanks for all your replies!
newlife276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think at your starting weight, this is perfectly acceptable - provided you are taking in enough healthy calories and it sure seems that you are.

But I urge you to not but disappointed when you stop seeing losses like that, because you will, you most definitely will. In the beginning of a weight loss program the pounds come off easier.

And when *they* say aim for a 1 - 2 lbs a week, well that's usually referring to a lighter person (which you WILL be - yay!!!) . And that's an average. So it could be 1lb one week, 3 lbs another, a 1/2 pound the next and 2 lbs the week after that. No rhyme, no reason. Weight loss is not linear.

I'm excited for you and I wish you continued success.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I totally agree with Robin. I remember my very first week on this journey, I lost 17 pounds.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

That is normal, especially for someone at your starting weight. I lost a lot at first quickly. When I told my doctor everything I was doing last Feb she said that was fine since my starting weight was 340+...I also now lose it in chunks. One week I can lose 5 pounds, but then I might not lose for awhile, so it does average out for me. I have noticed that as I am getting smaller and actually doing my exercise and such ,the weight is becoming more steady. So, as I progress downward it will change and I think that is natural and normal.

You're doing great! Can't wait to hear more about your progress!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #10  
BELIEVE!

As long as you are being sensible, which it sounds like you are...enjoy it while it lasts! It won't always be so quick to fall off. Keep up the great work!

BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Hormones can do crazy things to the amount of water that our bodies want to hold on to. I would guess that either 1) this weight loss is a temporary hormonal thing and you'll gain some of it back or not lose for a little while after or 2) your body has secretly been storing up water like a "normal" female body often does before a period, you just didn't see it because you were losing fat at the same time, and now it's letting that water go.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #12  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Also, your period can actually elevate your metabolism, so that may have something to do with it.

I wouldn't be worried, and I don't know a lot about PCOS, but I would still check in with your doctor just to be sure.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote