Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Every Time! (aka Thanks, 3FC!)

Every time The Biggest Loser premieres, I watch the first weigh ins. And every time...EVERY TIME...I realize that I would have weighed in at nearly or pretty nearly the heaviest girl contestant, at my starting weight. Every time I watch them struggle, throw up trying to work out, run a mile, and burst into tears when they see their weight...and every time, I burst into tears too. Because that? Was me.

I didn't have Bob or Jillian or a ranch or a Bodybugg or even a gym membership to start. But what I did have was everyone here at 3FC.

At my highest weight, I couldn't ever watch BL, because it made me feel deeply ashamed...ashamed of where I was, in comparison to the contestants. Now I watch and I still cry, but because I know that I've been where they are, and more, I know that I won't ever go back there.

So, while watching yet another group of contestants weigh in tonight, and realizing that, once again, I would have been one of the heaviest girls there (heavier than ****SPOILER**** the girl who had to be hospitalized after attempting to walk a mile, even) I was overwhelmed with a desire to say thank you, 3FC, for guiding me and helping me and supporting me on my own journey.

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

In the UK we won't get your current series until probably next year, but I watch them when they are shown here and I know exactly what you mean and I do feel empathy for the contestants as they start out. My DH doesn't understand how the people on that show can get so emotional but I do, weightloss really is an emotional rollercoaster.

The only thing I do think to myself is that it really does not have to be as punishing as TBL to get to goal. Although I had aches and pains when starting exercise, I never threw up, had to have oxygen or had an injury that required medical treatment. I think the show could do with reminding people at times that the bootcamp approach is not the only way to significant weightloss.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 09-16-2009 at 09:06 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Mandalinn, I know JUST what you mean. I have had these same EXACT thoughts and feelings.

I didn't catch the show last night, but in the past I would watch these people and think - this. was. me. And then I am so grateful that I didn't have to resort to "those measures" to get the weight off. That I did it on my own - with 3FC by my side.

The year I was losing, I DID watch the show faithfully. And I exercised as I was doing so!

I could NEVER have gone on a show like that. NEVER. I was not physically fit enough to do any of their challenges. I for sure would have had to been hospitalized. No doubt in my mind about it. I look at them and see what they go through on that show. Scary. But they do get some amazing results. I just pray for them that they are LONG LASTING results. I want to scream at the TV set - "sustainable lifetime permanent changes." "DON'T FORGET ABOUT MAINTENANCE." "Please someone, anyone tell them about maintenance!!!"

And tell them about 3FC!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

And we, at 3FC, are thankful to have you Amanda!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It just blows my mind, each and every year. And just fills me with gratitude for where I am today.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
It just blows my mind, each and every year. And just fills me with gratitude for where I am today.
I know. I know. Hard to even describe, right?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-16-2009 at 12:39 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Last season, I tried watching a few episodes but even watching them online without commercials they were way too long to sit and watch. (And I should say we have a laptop attached to our living room tv but not our exercise room TV). I did cry a lot though watching them because I knew their struggle, pain, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

I watched that last night and try to every season. Mike was awesome alast year. I find it motivating now to watch instead of depressing as I have in the past.

Last edited by Nate0201; 09-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I didn't see it last night, because I was out at a meeting for a new club I belong to -- part of my goal after losing weight is to get more involved in my community and I am!! So, I am living the life after weight loss all those contestants are looking for!

But when I have watched that show, I also feel for them. I WAS them too. And I think about the fact of my weight loss every. single. day. of my life. every day. I am so grateful to 3fc for being a partner in my journey.

So, yeah, second thrird and fourth me on Amanda's post!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Be proud of how far you have come! It's little realizations like this that will keep us all motivated. I need to record the Biggest Loser. I've never really watched it before, just seen clips now and then.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #11  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I totally understand and agree Amanda
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote