Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Measurement Question

I take measurements sometimes, not very regularly. I know that the last time I measured was in the morning on an empty stomach, and this time it was late, and I had eaten, but my results are still weird:

My waist went down a half inch: 46.5 to 46
My hips went UP a half inch: 47 to 47.5
My neck went UP a half inch: 15 to 15.5

I'm going to go measure again, but...what does this mean? I've lost weight, and I have looked at myself in the mirror lately and thought I looked "hippy"...
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

No need to worry, fluctuations happen all the time for all of us.

First of all, always measure and weigh yourself at the same time of day. For example I weigh myself in the mornings as soon as I wake up, right after I've been to the bathroom. On the same token only measure yourself while wearing the same clothing as last time. I take my measurements while wearing a bra and knickers and I feel like if I put on a pair of pants to do it then the measurements won't be really accurate.

Another thing to consider is that it's really difficult to take your measurements in the exact same spot on your body every time. I can't seem to find the exact spot I put the measuring tape on my hips last time so sometimes you'll see a small or even big difference in numbers because of that. I still haven't figured out the best way to measure my hips and often have large differences in numbers from week to week.

If you're anything like me (hourglass/pear shape) you'll lose weight the fastest in your waist and the slowest in your hips. At times this makes me feel "hippy" as well but that's only because my waist is shrinking and my hips aren't budging. It could be that's why you're feeling like that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #3  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I have the same body type as wannabe, so her experiences reflect my own. I have measured at different times of the day with clothes on/off. I've found that clothes add 0.5 inch to my measurements, even when I'm careful. Go figure. I usually measure in front of a mirror. I pick the narrowest part of my waist (between the boobs and navel) and the widest part of my hips. Although you can't measure the exact same spot, you can get a good idea by basing it off a mirror, instead of relying on your memory. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the fluctuations, just keep measuring every week or two in the same places using a mirror and you'll see changes happening.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

Changes are definitely happening - my hips are still down, overall.

I generally measure in my birthday suit. And, in a mirror, mostly because it's really hard to like, look down and see exactly where the tape is, you know? It's much easier to just look in the mirror.

I never ever looked like I had hips, but I carry the majority of my weight on my stomach. My sister (who is 12 and 5'4" and weighs 130 pounds...so jealous) is hippy, as is my mom, who is 5'2" and thin. I just always assumed I took after my dad's side of the family, even though otherwise my sister and I are built exactly the same (we're both comparable to Mack trucks, even though she's so thin - it's all muscle!). Maybe losing stomach fat is making my hips more noticeable. (Hope so)

Last edited by aphrodite; 09-12-2009 at 07:58 PM.
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

There's a great deal of slope from my waist to my hips , and the slightest difference in the level I measure at (or the tape not being perfectly level), easily adds half an inch! And it's not like I really have any perfect marker at that level. Measuring at the belly button gives me some consistency, but that's more my abdomen than my hips. And I find it really hard to keep the tape level all the way around me at my belly button. Nothing's flat
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Apparently if you bend to the side the crease formed is where your natural waist line is.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #7  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyria View Post
Apparently if you bend to the side the crease formed is where your natural waist line is.

I don't have to bend to have that crease. It's already there.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote