Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Do you feel that people treat you differently?

Not sure if it's my imagination or not. Of course, it's highly possibly that I'm ACTING differently now, too...

I can't even pinpoint any specific examples, it's just that (at 45 pounds lighter) I feel a weird shift in some of the relationships I have with people. And it's not even a bad shift, necessarily...

Also, I can't stop shopping. I can't! I've developed a new addiction: trying on and buying clothing! I can now fit things in the Juniors Section (I'm 34) and stores like Charlotte Russe and Papaya and Express. It's like I get some weird euphoria from going into these stores and trying on clothing. LOL! ...sad thing is, most times I BUY, too!
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #2  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

I find I have more confidence.

I wouldnt be surprised to hear people say that others do treat them differently because of their weight. Personally I know that my level of confidence has a huge impact on how I interact with others and how I present myself, which of course affects how I am perceived and how others respond to me.

Last edited by beautifulone; 09-07-2009 at 05:56 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the confidence thing. Of course I have not lost much weight, but I can say I have gained quite a bit of confidence. If I feel good about myself, I project that in my everyday life, and people perceive me differently. I really don't think it is a weight issue, I believe it is a confidence issue.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

i hear ya on the shopping part...............i'm addicted...and I LOVE how cheap small clothes is...i'm addicted to shoes/purses..especially buying them online and clothing in general!
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Part of it "may" be the way I present myself. Yes, I definitely feel as if I am treated differently. There is a couple of things I really *don't* like or that I miss. I do not feel as if I'm America's next top model or anything *BUT* I feel I have to be careful talking to my friend's hubbies now--men in general actually. I have also noticed *the eye* from a couple of them. I miss falling in like "one of the guys" so to speak.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #6  

shopping addiction..LETS NOT GO THERE!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I know I see myself differently and interact with people differently. For one, I don't have this little voice in my head telling me I'm the fattest one in the room (even if I still am). I feel more confident, and it shows!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes I feel like I'm making other people uncomfortable by losing weight. Sometimes I get the feeling that others aren't quite as happy for me as I am for myself. Nobody has criticised me or anything but it's a weird feeling I get.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Not sure if it's my imagination or not. Of course, it's highly possibly that I'm ACTING differently now, too...

I can't even pinpoint any specific examples, it's just that (at 45 pounds lighter) I feel a weird shift in some of the relationships I have with people. And it's not even a bad shift, necessarily...

Also, I can't stop shopping. I can't! I've developed a new addiction: trying on and buying clothing! I can now fit things in the Juniors Section (I'm 34) and stores like Charlotte Russe and Papaya and Express. It's like I get some weird euphoria from going into these stores and trying on clothing. LOL! ...sad thing is, most times I BUY, too!

Their pants fit me better than any thing in the entire mall--so very odd that cheap pants fit me best! LOL. What does that say about me??? LOL.

Also, love CRusse jewelry---bangle sets 2/$8---you seriously cannot beat that!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #10  

beautifulone, utgirl09 - Yeah, I hear ya on the confidence thing! I've always been pretty confident...though I am shy. If anything loosing weight might have made me more shy in certain situations. I dunno, I have lots of complexities. :P

angelanicole23, TBG - YES! I guess we'll need a support group for shopping soon. :-( And, small clothes ARE cheaper. My only issue is all the Juniors stuff is super short! LOL! All I can hear is Stacey London saying, "You cannot wear that once you hit 35!". :P

Heather - Yeah, I believe we project something different when we lose. That's probably why most folks react differently.

Wannabeskinny - I understand. It's hard, it really is. I just take it in stride. I mean, as much as we don't want to talk about it, jealousy is a real thing. Even good people can feel jealous. I try to be very understanding of this. It's hard to see someone close to you making smart food choices, losing weight, receiving compliments and making life-changing choices when you are still doing the same old thing.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #11  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i did notice how much differently people treated me when i was fat as compared to when i used to be thin. male store clerks/cashiers/etc seemed much less interested in helping me.....
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Their pants fit me better than any thing in the entire mall--so very odd that cheap pants fit me best! LOL. What does that say about me??? LOL.

Also, love CRusse jewelry---bangle sets 2/$8---you seriously cannot beat that!
That's pretty awesome! I found a friggin $5 dress at CRusse yesterday!!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
so very odd that cheap pants fit me best! LOL. What does that say about me??? LOL.
It says: You lucky girl!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
i did notice how much differently people treated me when i was fat as compared to when i used to be thin. male store clerks/cashiers/etc seemed much less interested in helping me.....
Interesting. I don't think I've noticed this. I will say, though, that when I first lost weight, I felt like a poser when I walked into Express (I don't think they sell anything higher than size 12 in their stores). I was BARELY in a 12 (mostly 14s) when I went there for the first time in years. I felt like I was wearing my size on my chest and that everyone was looking at me like, "Get out fatty!!"
Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I didn't so much notice that I was treated badly when obese. But when I'm slimmer, I get the above-and-beyond treatment. Extra smiles, free food, offers to help, chatting. (Not that this happens constantly, even now )

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-07-2009 at 09:02 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote