Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Afraid to EAT!

I have been dieting my whole life and never lost enough weight to feel good about myself... so, this summer I decided that I'm tired of being fat and I wanted to do something about it and I noticed that the only way I can lose weight is if I eat only one meal a day! It worked so far and I was able to lose 25 pounds in 2 months which was a big accomplishment for me I've never been able to do that EVER! Then suddenly I gained 5 pounds by eating more than the 1 meal a day I was used to eating and freaked out! Weighing myself non-stop until I lost those 5 pounds, so that's why I put the scale away until halloween my 1st mini goal so now that's where this brings me I'm really affraid to eat anything now.For about 2 weeks my 1 meal a day has been either a salad w chicken or tuna or a subway sandwhich. I do eat fruit or wheat thins or rice cakes if I get hungry(maybe a spoon of normal food so I dnt deprive myself) and drink nothing but water, and I have come a long way bcuz I'm a babysitter and I would eat everything he didn't finish and now I don't even touch it so yay me on that but then again after I eat my meals I always feel like puking and lately I been feeling dizzy which really sucks bcuz I don't want to eat a lot I want to lose this weight and I'm concerned what I'm doing isn't right any advice would be appreciated greatly.....
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My advice is start eating. You can't sustainably lose weight by starving yourself. You may see a small bump in the scale but it isn't fat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #3  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I'm trying to say this as kindly as possible, but I don't feel like what you're doing is either healthy or sustainable. Maybe you could look at the different diet plans on the site and evaluate a safer option. When you aren't eating enough you may feel dizzy.

Personally I count calories, and have been able to lose weight and eat quite a bit of food during the process just by choosing lower calorie options (lots of vegetables). If you aren't able to lose weight using a nonstarvation method, maybe you could go and see your doctor and have him check your system out.

My suggestion would be to write down your food as you eat it and get a better idea of what you're eating, but you should be able to eat 1500 or so calories and lose weight if nothing is medically wrong.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I too have decided to increase my calorie goal but am afraid because I fear I will gain weight.
But you know, you really need to eat! 1 meal a day is not helping you either.
If you do not eat enough, your body is going to go into starvation mode and will either start burning muscle or will not lose fat at all! Furthermore all of this will slow your metabolism down, making it even harder to lose weight.
See when you eat your body responds by boosting your metabolism. This is why you should eat 3-5 meals a day like 3 meals and 2 snacks spread out over the day.
I am not promoting Curves or anything, but I learned alot from their diet. They did studies on women who ate 800 calories and those who ate 1200 calories a day. The results showed that they seemed to lose the same amount of weight over time. However the women who ate more lost less muscle and had higher metabolism.
If you were successful at losing weight at 800 calories, your metabolism would be slowed and this would make it harder to keep the weight off and you will most likely gain it back.
IS this too much advice? Sorry...but that is what I learned through a year of dieting. I count calories using sparkpeople.com although there is also livestrong.com. I read tons of articles on sparkpeople.com that will support my advice on how eating enough is better than eating too little.
If you do eat more (like I am trying to do) don't get upset if you gain some weight (about 5 pounds) when you eat more you are probably eating more sodium and carbs than you are used to so your body responds and holds more water.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #5  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Dear, the reason you feel ill is because you're starving yourself. You need to stop before if become severe psychological problem that you lose control of You need to research more about the the body, the purpose of food and nutrition to your body, and what constitutes a healthy diet. Yiu have to eat healthy and have some activity.

You can't live a life of one light meal a day. It's not sustainable, your body will feel deprived, you'll have hormonal cravings as a response that will cause you to binge. You'll become weak, your hair will become brittle. You'll lose your confidence and never feel satisfied, no matter how much you lose. This is a bad place.

The point for us all to lose weight and change our habits so we never become fat again and enjoy the use of our healthy bodies Do some research, look up some of the success stories of the women on this forum, some who have lost HUNDREDS of pounds while eating SIX meals a day. They are truly inspiring!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Do you have a doctor you can talk to? Can you get an appointment with a food counselor, or a dietitian, so you can learn more about what's happening? Really, you are not helping yourself by not eating. You need to eat to be healthy.

Instead of 1 meal a day, try counting up everything that is in that one meal, as in, calorie totals. And then, divide that amount up so that you can eat something in the morning and something for lunch and something for dinner. This will help you get into the habit of eating more regularly. DON'T let the scale panic you! You may need to have more muscle, more bones, more tissues like your heart and your lungs and your other organs! They may be starving, and so the weight you might gain would not be fat.

Your goal should be to increase your calories until you are up to at least 1200. Then you can work from there! But really, you should consult a professional about this.

Good luck!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 09-02-2009 at 05:11 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

you are winning the RACE, the problem is, its not a race. what you are doing now is probably worse for your body then constant eating. weight loss should be a slow, steady process (sometimes its not even steady, i havent lost a pound in 4 weeks). take a deep breath and relax!! you dont have to lose it all at once! you need to be eating food to fuel your body. take it slow, count calories or get on some other sort of plan. youve made some good changes by drinking only water and curbing cravings, but i think you got a bit over zealous.

theres no point to a diet that cant be sustained over a lifetime. can you really keep eating one small meal a day for the rest of your life? maybe.. but you'll probably feel weak and dizzy all the time. you'll probably gain back some weight when you first start on a healthier plan because you've been starving yourself, but in the long run, this will be a much healthier and more sustainable weight loss.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Thank you all for the advice! I just weighed myself and I've gained a pound! I'm going to take each and every one of your advice and eat more and counting calories maybe that will help me out! I haven't been to a doctor in the longest time bcuz everytime I go they put me down bcuz of my weight which instead of feeling sorry for myself I shouldve just asked questions about healthy eating. I think I have the binge thing under control I haven't touched a chip or ate any fast food for a while now so I've always known you had to eat more to lose but for a while eating less made me lose and I did gain back the weight if not more...thank you each and everyone of you I'm going to look everything up write down what I eat and count calories and start sum kind of exercise plan this one pound I gained shows that starving myself isn't working for me!
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #9  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

You need to see a counselor well-versed in eating disorders NOW. I am recovering from both binge eating disorder and anorexia nervosa (yeah - I'm an all-or-nothing type of gal! ) and your story sounds so much like mine it's scary.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

If you starve yourself, the body will eat the muscles in your body to sustain itself (and muscle is denser than fat). But what you need is muscle to burn the fat in your body ... lol odd cycle
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #11  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

I agree with what the others said...your body isn't getting enough nutrition so it's protecting itself by slowing its metabolism and conserving everything it can.

Re-evaluate your plan, whatever it might be, and do some research about how your body processes its fuel.

And stop weighing yourself everyday...it'll make you !

Hugs,

Sherry
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote