Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #1  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default a little irritated....

so i ran into someone i hadnt seen in a while last night. she kindly mentioned how much weight i had lost and then asked what i was doing. i told her i was counting calories and she got all snotty and derisive about it. she was like, "counting calories? thats so retro, NO ONE counts calories any more!" then she went on to recommend south beach, atkins, going fat free, and a few others.

i tried to be as polite as i could and pretend to be interested in her suggestions, but i was annoyed. why do people always have to throw their 2 cents in even when you didnt ask for it?

Last edited by juliastl27; 08-30-2009 at 04:32 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Two reasons:

A. She's overweight and she envies your success so she's trying to downplay how you did it.

B. She's small and she thinks she's the authority on all things diet because she's small and since you're not there yet, she needs to inform you on all the other diets out there.

People never realize that each person's weight journey is their own to make. I'd also place 1% of the blame on tv, where the emphasis on looks, weightloss and dieting is incredibly high and thus on everyone's minds. So everyone thinks he or she is the expert. I say 1% because I really hate this whole blame game people play these days. You know, "everybody else is the cause of my suffering, I'm innocent!"

I have to commend you on keeping your patience. If it were me, I would've definitely retorted with "old school yes, but it's worked for me, so obviously I'm doing something right." Then again, I tend to think of wonderful comebacks 1 hour after the fact.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I can not stand unsolicited advice, be it in real person or on the net. It makes me very angry and I am proud of how you handled it. I probably wouldn't have remained as calm. Don't let people's arrogant stupidity get to you. You are doing great and for that you can be proud
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #4  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnigummi View Post
Two reasons:

A. She's overweight and she envies your success so she's trying to downplay how you did it.

B. She's small and she thinks she's the authority on all things diet because she's small and since you're not there yet, she needs to inform you on all the other diets out there.

People never realize that each person's weight journey is their own to make. I'd also place 1% of the blame on tv, where the emphasis on looks, weightloss and dieting is incredibly high and thus on everyone's minds. So everyone thinks he or she is the expert. I say 1% because I really hate this whole blame game people play these days. You know, "everybody else is the cause of my suffering, I'm innocent!"

I have to commend you on keeping your patience. If it were me, I would've definitely retorted with "old school yes, but it's worked for me, so obviously I'm doing something right." Then again, I tend to think of wonderful comebacks 1 hour after the fact.
she is overweight. shes not much bigger than me at this point, but the last time i saw her i was WAY bigger than her. its just so annoying when people start in with the "you need to" crap. i didnt ask for opinions or recommendations. i know it happens to all of us, i just dont get WHY. if someone tells me their kid is doing well in school i dont start in being like, "well you should really be reading him 57 books a week". ugh.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh don't you just love when people know a better way to do something that you've ALREADY done.

"You know, you're probably right. I'll gain the weight back and try one of your methods. Calorie counting? What WAS I thinking?"
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #6  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I can not stand unsolicited advice, be it in real person or on the net. It makes me very angry and I am proud of how you handled it. I probably wouldn't have remained as calm. Don't let people's arrogant stupidity get to you. You are doing great and for that you can be proud
thank you miss michelle.

it is REALLY annoying. people love to tell you what you "should" be doing even if you're totally happy with what you are doing.

and robin, LOLOL

Last edited by juliastl27; 08-30-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #7  

...because its human nature.Maybe weight loss should join religion and politics in the "do not discuss" topics.Regardless...you are doing something that is working.I guess the results of your "retro" calorie counting will speak for itself.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I know it. Those with that whole holier than thou attitude make me wanna go postal . Heck, I have lost 138 pounds and still have people telling me how to lose weight. I will never understand people. Ever.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I agree with the others, she is probably jealous.
This morning I accidentally found a youtube vlog about the perfect diet and out of curiosity watched it.
The woman pointed out that there are so many diet plans out there and people think they should be on a structured routine, like Aktins or southbeach but these often fail.
She continued saying how she was sitting at a traffic light and saw all different cars, and not one was the same. Of course they had different types, styles, even colors. And then she realized that we are unique so what works for one person will not work for another because we are so unique. We don't all drive the same type of car, right?
SO...I love counting calories. I could never do a low carb version because my diet is more carbs and I would never stick to such a drastic change.
I guess what I am saying is that the person should be compatible to the diet and no just choose something that is totally wrong for their lifestyle even if someone else finds that it works for them.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Other than a very select couple of women in my real life, I do not discuss my weightloss with anyone. I have a wonderful pep talk on whole foods. When someone asks about my weight I launch into it. Believe me, they shut up quick. Your scenario is one reason for my decision not to discuss my method with random people.

Obviously, what you are doing works. You don't need *her* or anyone to validate your method.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #11  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

You should have turned around and said "WELL IT WORKS FOR ME." I bet that would have put her in her snotty little place!!! >:CCCCC Good for you for handling her well, though, I probably would have punched her or something lol
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #12  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

I know how you feel. I have a thin friend who thinks she needs to lose weight and says she will only eat vegetables and skip supper because she wants to be healthier. She also brings a tuperware filled with what i estimate being 2 cups of rice for lunch (no protein, no veggies) and tells me that it's not healthy for me to eat my Lean Cuisines. She may just be trying to help in her own way but could have been more polite about it. Even so, YOU're the one who lost all the weight and YOU're the one who knows what works. And you're doing it the healthy way. It's a lifestyle change. If she wants to try those more restrictive diets let her but don't let her get you down because you've done amazing so far!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #13  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I know it. Those with that whole holier than thou attitude make me wanna go postal . Heck, I have lost 138 pounds and still have people telling me how to lose weight. I will never understand people. Ever.
Sheez, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I still, to this day, even as a person who now wears a small top and size 4 jeans, get weight loss advice. And it's always really stupid advice from people who were not successful in reaching or maintaining their goals... few people believe me when I tell them I don't follow a name brand or fad diet, so they suggest I try every crash diet under the sun. The irony that they're overweight and I'm not seems to escape them

Last edited by Ija; 08-30-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

People don't like to hear about success with calorie counting. It is simple, and free.
They want to hear that it takes some bizarre combination of a plan/drugs/exercise to lose weight. That way they can justify their choice to remain fat/unhealthy.

Spend some time reading the weight-loss/maintenance posts from our long-time maintainers. The vast majority of them lost weight by counting calories and still continue throughout their maintenance.

Counting calories isn't glamorous, but it DEFINITELY works for many, many chickies (including me)
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #15  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
she was like, "counting calories? thats so retro, NO ONE counts calories any more!"

This line cracks me up. Maybe it is retro but you know what, America didn't have a major obesity epidemic back in the day so I am happy to be "retro". Maybe everyone IS fat because NO ONE counts calories anymore, lol.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote