Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Default protein shakes and meal replacement

Is a protein shake a sufficient meal replacement? I'm looking to perhaps replace a meal with a protein shake when I simply don't have the time to throw something together or nuke a frozen meal and sit and eat it. Would a protein shake work? I buy the GMC 100% Whey protein and mix it with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hi,
I would not consider it a meal replacement, only a mere snack. You can throw in some fruits and veggies (and make it in a blender) for some more substance (I often add some spinach leaves as well which give the shake a funky muddy colour and you can still see tiny bits of green so my colleagues usually says "Oh you are drinking your grass clippings again"). :-)
But, I have to say that no longer than an hour after I had the shake I will be hungry again and I will have to eat something more substantial. Drinks just work for me, even with that amount of protein (not sure how much yours has, mine supplies 35 g of protein but I hardly feel it).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #3  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Lately, I've been drinking protein shake in the morning. Like Tomato, I also add stuff to my morning protein shake. It is a snack not a meal replacement. My morning shake consists of - skim milk, blueberries, raspberries, whey protein powder and sometimes ground flaxseed. I drink this on my way to work. Then 2-3 hours later I eat my mini breakfast...so my entire breakfast so to speak is split in two. The protein powder I have provides 25g protein/serving. Depending on how my food intake will throughout the day I either put 1/2 scoop in my morning shake or 1 full scoop (serving).
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Eat real food when you can. If time is an issue, try making stuff in bulk that can be easily put together later.

Like Tomato mentions, one issue you will have with protein shake is that it doesn't really fill you up. So, you will probably get hungry relatively quickly and could lead to overeating.

Only time I use protein shake is first thing in the morning (at 4:40am) before I workout only because I can't hold down food I eat right before I workout. But this is not a meal replacement. I eat a full breakfast after workout.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #5  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I tried the slim fast diet back in high school. I only had a slim fast for lunch, with a small breakfast and my regular dinners. After 1 week, I lost 6 or 7 lbs, which made me uber happy. Next week, I would get nauseated just *looking* at a slim fast can. I got saturated really quickly, but I think the problem was the difference in meals. Compare a healthy salad, or some chicken and pasta with greens to....liquid in a can. For lunch. Everyday. It might get you temporary results, but can you afford to do this for the rest of your life? I couldn't. I've learned to count calories and adjust accordingly for each meal. For the first time, I'm losing weight while eating what I want to eat - REAL food. I would suggest the protein shake as a snack, but definitely not as a meal replacement.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

I use protein shakes and Slimrite drinks, but I use them to get enough of my nutrition each day, not as a substitute for anything. The whey powder I use is only 30% daily protein and 100 cal, so I don't know how good it would do as a replacement for an entire meal.

The protein I use is Precision Engineered... tastes like nothing and a bit of sawdust, to me, better than the sickly sweet alternatives. But I love Slimrite... I think it tastes like the Carnation instant breakfasts I used to get as a kid.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Thankyou for your input. I'm not planning on drinking them everyday, it would probably average out to 3 times a week or so. I'm just worried that if I don't have time to actually eat (usually lunch) with my busy work/class/everything else schedule I'm not getting enough nutrition in the day.

Last edited by Bombe; 08-28-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #8  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombe View Post
Thankyou for your input. I'm not planning on drinking them everyday, it would probably average out to 3 times a week or so. I'm just worried that if I don't have time to actually eat (usually lunch) with my busy work/class/everything else schedule I'm not getting enough nutrition in the day.
Here's something you can try - Optimum Whey Gold Meal - It's a complete meal protein/carb/fiber etc. If you click on the picture on the site it gives you the complete nutritional information. They also carry Whey Gold Meal Lite version. I've never tried it so I cannot say if it tastes good or bad. But it's worth a shot if you're looking for something grab & go on busy days.

This is what I have at home - Natural 100% Whey Gold Standard.

GNC or Amazon might carry it or you can directly buy from the Optimum site. I got my powder cheaper at GNC with 20% off.

HTH

Last edited by pintobean; 08-28-2009 at 07:15 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I bought two six packs ($5.99 each a good price) of slim fast this week. I have gained weight and thought it would at least give me a boost.

I remember many years a go I got down to like 142 on slim fast. I did sort of get nauseous at the end, but it did get some wieight off. Ever since then I've been unable to just drink slim fast, so I use them more as a supplement. I think if you use them they can be helpful. I also combine diet dinners, that way it helps give me a correct calorie count for the day, which is also helpful.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

If it is the nutrtional value you are looking for, a protein shake will not do it.. try Slimfast or another drink that states it is in fact a meal replacement and look to see what it lists in nutritional values for the day.. protein shakes are meant to be used, as others have said as a snack or as a drink after a workout to build back some energy, so as a meal alone, no it would not suffice. I thought at one time I could do that as well.. but nope! I gained doing that because the whey in the protein shakes is healp build back after a tough wrk out.. I learned quickly. One thing I will grab int he morning if I am on the run is the Carnation Instant Breakfast packets.. I use vanilla cause it is awesome on its own but if you want a diffferant taste you could always add a tsp. of lowfat choc. drink mix or fresh fruit.. I love it and it is jam packed with the proper nutrients!
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

I only drink one after a really hard work out when I know I won't be able to have real food for awhile. They are good for a hold over but not really a meal replacement. If you won't have the time you should plan ahead and make things you can eat on the go that you have already prepared.
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #12  
Workin' It

I make a fruit smoothie almost every morning for breakfast with banana, frozen fruit, ON Gold Standard Whey, yogurt, milk & OJ - I target around 375 calories, 35 grams of protein. It actually does leave me full afterward, I typically have a small snack mid morning which I would have no matter what I had for breakfast, then a normal lunch. I've been known to do them at night as well if DH isn't going to be home for dinner. I eat small meals and have several snacks during the day so the smaller calorie size does okay for a meal for me.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote