Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 354/354/160

Height: 5'5

Default first week discouragement

So I started working out and dieting this week. I have dieted several millions of times in the past. Every week when I would go to the doctor fairly uncommitted, I would have lost 3, 5, 6 pounds at a time. This time has been different. I have worked my booty off. I have been at the gym everyday. I have been sticking to my diet through a birthday party and even a visit from Granny. Yet I go to the doctor with great anticipation... and I only lost a pound. Im trying to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.. but its hard not to get discouraged.
suz102199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

1 lb is awesome! You had to burn 3500 extra calories in order to lose that pound! You should be very proud of yourself.

Make sure that you're drinking enough water. If you've just started working out your body is probably retaining quite a bit.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #3  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I don't think this is what you want to hear, but I'm speaking from my experience.

When I used to diet in the past, I would lose weight. I would crash-diet - barely eat, barely exercise and be irritable and hungry almost all the time. When I would get down about 10 lbs, I would get so elated that I'd eat large amounts of junk food and gain it all back again.

This time, I'm consciously making an effort to watch portion sizes and count calories while getting reasonable amounts of exercise in. I started exercising in June '09, but I seriously started counting calories and watching portion sizes mid-July. I've lost 4 lbs since. It's been a month and a half. Although I feel better, it's not the great weight loss I had hoped for and I think this method that you and I are using will take longer to show results but it will benefit us in the long run because we will be able to keep it off. Think of it as teaching yourself something new. If you took French lessons for a week, would you expect to be fluent? No way! It would take you at least a couple of years to really see your fluency developing. Same idea with weight loss. Another way to think about it (that I've read on this forum) is to compare weight loss with weight gain. If it took you X number of years/months to put on the weight, it should take at least that long to take it off (in theory). Give yourself time and be patient. I have had to talk myself into continuing plenty of times, so I know where you're coming from.

Keep your chin up!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes when you lose weight it won't show on the scale but it'll show with your clothes.

Keep it up- I've been on a plateau for a long time and have been busting my butt trying to get through- I THINK I'm close to a breakthrough!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #5  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz102199 View Post
So I started working out and dieting this week. I have dieted several millions of times in the past. Every week when I would go to the doctor fairly uncommitted, I would have lost 3, 5, 6 pounds at a time. This time has been different. I have worked my booty off. I have been at the gym everyday. I have been sticking to my diet through a birthday party and even a visit from Granny. Yet I go to the doctor with great anticipation... and I only lost a pound. Im trying to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.. but its hard not to get discouraged.
First of all, well done on working so hard and sticking with your diet through a birthday party and a Granma visit. that must have taken alot of willpower!!

and second of all, congrats on losing 1 lbs. like another poster said, that is a great start!

I want to share with you something i just read this morning (i'm reading The gabriel method by Jon gabriel at the moment)

in his book he writes:
Quote:
Even though it may not be showing [your weight loss] , a lot of things could be going on biochemically inside you that are getting you ready for the next big breakthrough..... Take the focus off how quickly you're losing weight and focus instead on how effectively you are transforming your body permanently
And also you're making healthier choices. it will show with time, keep at it!!! you're doing great!
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

I've noticed for me that it takes my body a little bit to catch up to what I'm doing. A couple of weeks go by with nothing and then all of a sudden it wakes up and says "OH! That's the goal! OK...." and starts shedding weight. keep up your great work!!
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

How are you tracking your food? Are you counting calories or WW points,, or weighing portions, or...? I ask because it's possible to be eating too much or eating too little unless you are tracking in some way.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had the same question in mind as Jay. Yes, how are you tracking your calories? Are you accounting for every crumb, bite, lick and taste? Are you being consistent. Even one "off day" can easily offset the other "good ones".

Quote:
Im trying to remember that muscle weighs more than fat.. but its hard not to get discouraged.
Oh and one pound of muscle weighs the same exact thing as one pound of fat, although it takes up less room in the body. And it does take months and month to build up muscle. But the good thing is, any muscle gained is a good thing.

I just reread your post. I see it's only been a week. Maybe you just need to give it some more time. Weight loss is not an instant gratification type thing. But keep in mind, that if you stick with a healthy eating plan, create a calorie deficit, there is no way that you can't lose. Stick with it. Just keep on going and the weight will come off.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My suggestion goes against everything we;ve ever been taught, but it worked for me and maybe it will for you. For the next few weeks, forget about exercise. Concentrate 100% on your food plan. Learn it, live it and perfect it. At your weight, just walking to the mailbox is strength training. You are lifting almost 200 extra pounds every time you stand up. Just doing your daily normal activities will help you burn more calories at this point. Many people say to start at the upper end of your calories and work down as you lose, well I think the same principle, (but in reverse) works beautifully with exercise. Please consider it. To much, with too little results often will equal burnout...

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-25-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #10  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
My suggestion goes against everything we;ve ever been taught, but it worked for me and maybe it will for you. For the next few weeks, forget about exercise. Concentrate 100% on your food plan. Learn it, live it and perfect it. At your weight, just walking to the mailbox is strength training. You are lifting almost 200 extra pounds every time you stand up. Just doing your daily normal activities will help you burn more calories at this point. Many people say to start at the upper end of your calories and work down as you lose, well I think the same principle, (but in reverse) works beautifully with exercise. Please consider it. To much, with too little results often will equal burnout...
I would agree. The gist I got from the OP was that she made some drastic and strict changes that I worry may be unsustainable. I would also suggest focusing on the food plan while trying to move a little more each day. This should see big results and is much more pleasant, forgiving, and easier to stick to than "I shall work my *** off at the gym each and every day."
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

When I first started my exercise program in March, I wasn't losing much either, even though I was perfectly on plan. Someone told me sore muscles retain water, and since I hadn't exercised in the past I'm pretty sure that was what was happening because after awhile the weight started coming off nicely.

Don't worry about your weight, worry about your plan. If it's a good plan and you work it, the weight will come off.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote